Nika's Chances in Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sure hope he's wrong!

Reaction Score
I believe Noelle Quinn knows what she wants to do with Nika, given the poor PG play of last year and missing Gabby's perimeter defense this year.

If management cannot find a way to grant her wish, all I will say is that they will give the Liberty a chance to correct their mistake: they had such a porous perimeter defense against Las Vegas guards in the finals, they need Nika and they failed to grab her. Maybe they think the one they drafted will fit the bill but info on that one don't carry the same resume of opponents that Nika successfully defended.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe Noelle Quinn knows what she wants to do with Nika, given the poor PG play of last year and missing Gabby's perimeter defense this year.

If management cannot find a way to grant her wish, all I will say is that they will give the Liberty a chance to correct their mistake: they had such a porous perimeter defense against Las Vegas guards in the finals, they need Nika and they failed to grab her. Maybe they think the one they drafted will fit the bill but info on that one don't carry the same resume of opponents that Nika successfully defended.
I'm not a fan of Noelle Quinn

Reaction Score
I believe Geno knows a lot more than that guy who says Nika won't make the roster. Why would they throw away a draft choice if they never planned to sign her?

Reaction Score
Who is the young Australian lady on the team? Is she a PG?
Jade Melbourne, and yes, she is a point guard. I don't know the particulars, but she must have been undrafted player last year who made the team and as an undrafted player the Storm was able to contract her to less money than the 'minimum salary' required for a drafted player (Muhl).

Reaction Score
I believe Geno knows a lot more than that guy who says Nika won't make the roster. Why would they throw away a draft choice if they never planned to sign her?
There are only a dozen teams, and only 12 players on any one team, maximum. Probably half of the teams will only carry eleven. If you go back and look, many, many, many second-round draft choices do not make a roster. They draft 'em, and then cut 'em, cuz there simply is not enough to go around.

Reaction Score
The only way Nika gets contracted is by cutting Jada. Which I don’t know if they’d do, since she has experience with the team and performed well in AUS. I hope she makes it, but who knows.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This "Back to Sports " guy knows nothing. All he does is speculate and half the time he is wrong. He is always on YouTube and most of the time I just take his opinions with a grain of salt because they are just his opinions. I believe Nika will show what she can do when the team plays again. I sure won't give up hope.

Reaction Score
I think Vegas did that in the draft.

Reaction Score
Nika has had to guard the best player on the opposing team for the last three years and had done a great job. She has steadily improved her shooting game and is a good leader. Seattle is not a great team and they need everything Nika has to offer so I would be surprised if she wasn't on the roster when the season starts.

Most podcasters have very little knowledge outside of their own circle and Nika isn't that impressive if you just look at her stats in college. The thing is she didn't have to do some of the things that stuff the stat sheet, but that doesn't mean she can't do them. Defense is always in style and nobody that was drafted is a better defender than she is.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Noelle Quinn
There are many things she does right but I will only point to her use of Gabby Williams: making use of Gabby's body of work in Europe to maximize her contributions instead of the Swiss Army knife approach that the Chicago coach used all because he was enamored with the result of Coach G's desperate move to use Gabby in the front court to spectacular success. But it doesn't work well where every team has a bunch of athletic big women - you exhaust Gabby through the season if you insist on doing it.

Ms. Quinn put Gabby in the same position she played in Europe: SF and spearhead perimeter defense

Reaction Score
Nika has had to guard the best player on the opposing team for the last three years and had done a great job. She has steadily improved her shooting game and is a good leader. Seattle is not a great team and they need everything Nika has to offer so I would be surprised if she wasn't on the roster when the season starts.

Most podcasters have very little knowledge outside of their own circle and Nika isn't that impressive if you just look at her stats in college. The thing is she didn't have to do some of the things that stuff the stat sheet, but that doesn't mean she can't do them. Defense is always in style and nobody that was drafted is a better defender than she is.
Absolutely spot on especially about Nika having to guard the best player on the opposing team. as she did versus Fair in the Seet Sixteen and how about her defense against you know who in the FF? And who has the UConn assist record? There is no way that the Storm will cut Nika. If it comes down between her and Melbourne they have to go with Nika. She's the new face and personality. She will clearly be a fan favorite if given the opportunity - and from a business standpoint Seattle could always use a few more fans in the stands and watching at home.

Reaction Score
Jade Melbourne, and yes, she is a point guard. I don't know the particulars, but she must have been undrafted player last year who made the team and as an undrafted player the Storm was able to contract her to less money than the 'minimum salary' required for a drafted player (Muhl).
I've have never heard of a different "minimum" salary for drafted versus undrafted players in ANY professional league. I used to represent football players in the NFL and had undrafted players make the same "minimum" salary as a drafted player. Are you sure about this?

Reaction Score
The only way Nika gets contracted is by cutting Jada. Which I don’t know if they’d do, since she has experience with the team and performed well in AUS. I hope she makes it, but who knows.
First off, the podcaster's analysis, which you seem to accept at face value, assumes that the Storm will keep 7 wings and posts. That is far from obvious or certain. Second, the fact that Jada played point guard for the Storm last year cuts both ways. She shot poorly from three, was not great at setting up her teammates, and was meh as a defender, all areas in which Nika excelled in college. While the jury is still out on how Nika will do in the pros, Jada has a track record that is less than inspiring. True she is still young and could get much better over time, but I don't think it is correct to say that she has an advantage because of her incumbency. Third, I don't care how hard the salary cap is, to suggest that Nika will be cut because of a $4,000 differential between her salary and Jada's is ludicrous. (Cue the rapper).

Reaction Score

Everything you say is true but if the money situation turns out the way the You Tube guy predicts, they will cut her and not look back! I’m hoping his analysis of who they are likely to keep is wrong and that her fate will be decided not by an attempt to squeeze in under the cap, but rather by who is the better player. That is a fight Nika can win!

Reaction Score
First off, the podcaster's analysis, which you seem to accept at face value, assumes that the Storm will keep 7 wings and posts. That is far from obvious or certain. Second, the fact that Jada played point guard for the Storm last year cuts both ways. She shot poorly from three, was not great at setting up her teammates, and was meh as a defender, all areas in which Nika excelled in college. While the jury is still out on how Nika will do in the pros, Jada has a track record that is less than inspiring. True she is still young and could get much better over time, but I don't think it is correct to say that she has an advantage because of her incumbency. Third, I don't care how hard the salary cap is, to suggest that Nika will be cut because of a $4,000 differential between her salary and Jada's is ludicrous. (Cue the rapper).
I don’t think there’s any doubt they would cut her over $4,000 if that kept them under the cap!

Reaction Score
Tonight's game will be important for Nika to prove she needs to be on the Storm roster (sucks that there is no way to watch it). Very unfortunate that the visa issue prevented her from playing in Toronto - quite sure if she had played in that game there would have been solid fan support for her there, given UConn's recent game there and support from fans of her buddy Aaliyah.

Nika has always been up for a challenge and has shown time and time again she consistently meets them with everything she's got. I don't thing it's a Jade or Nika thing. The more likely scenario would be to cut another wing/post and keep both Nika and Jade, IMO. Some of those players salaries are $9,000 - $10,000 above Nika's.

If the Storm want to improve their defense and play an up tempo game while opening up the floor to give Nneka and Ezi room to operate, which is my understanding - Nika is made to order. Coming in off the bench to spell Skylar or playing alongside her with Skylar shifting to the two gives them some great options. Jade who is a natural two can play alongside Nika on the second squad as well, with both in their best positions.

Quinn has said the roster will be decided by who the best eleven players are. Obviously they would need balance in terms of covering backups at all positions. They have several players that they are keeping that are versatile and can play a couple different positions.

As Geno has said countless times, you need a player like Nika on any winning team. Make the right choice Storm!

Reaction Score
She didn't show up in the boxscore for last night's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom