Nika: for the wise | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika: for the wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really liked the brash, in you face, loose cannon Nika.
The one who cried when she was sitting on the bench after twisting her ankle on the first game of the NCAA. Not so much because the ankle hurt ( I’m sure it did), but because she NEEDED to be out there with her sisters.
This, after only two games, SEEMS to be a more mature and responsive Nika.
Perhaps Paige’s absence on the court has brought this out a bit more.
Will she continue to develop those leadership skills? When crunch time comes, as we know it will, will she step outside her normal game and take on the role of get-it-done Muhl?
Did someone mention Jen?
Seems like some of Geno’s teachings have sunk into that hard head.
Whatever else happens, Nika will be fun to watch, which is why I started watching in the first place.

Reaction Score
Nika and Caroline have different responsibilities on the court. Caroline job is to score, anyway she can. Nikas job is to get the ball to her, and the others. Nika plays more minutes because she gets the job done in that way, she harasses the opponents to mess up their sets, and of course, gets the easy buckets with steals. Her defense gets opportunities for the others to get easy buckets on the fast break, something that only Aubrey and Azzi have shown that they can do. Caroline is a rotating scorer with Lou, and sometimes Azzi. Nika does the dirty work so they don't have to. Nika is in there because the team moves better and moves faster when she is on the floor. Thats why point guards on most teams play the most minutes.
I don't agree with @TeamFirst! about Nika, but I'm not sure you're right about what Caroline brings to the team. She's an excellent defender, and she showed it in several games last year, and we will need that from her. But this isn't what will make us favor her over Nika. It's what will have us start her instead of Lou. I think our best starting backcourt may be Nika Azzi Caroline. Lou becomes the 6th woman everyone is imagining. Though in that role she may have to compete with Aubrey. If Caroline is healthy, I think we're just stronger with her in place of Lou, and I favor a strong team, much as I love Lou's shooting.

Reaction Score
Nika's job as PG is to call the plays and get the ball to the scorers (and get the occasional points herself in the offense) when those scorers do their job of getting to the spot where they are supposed to be. Scorers don't feed themselves, they get open so the feeders get it to them. That is team ball not 1 on 1 ball. She also is the team's best defender. Some of you think she should be one the bench much more. The only person that matters (Geno) thinks she should be one the floor. I agree with him (not that that matters).

sun

Reaction Score
In the Texas post game presser, Azzi said that her confidence as a PG grew tremendously because her experience has been mostly during practice which isn't the same as a real game.
She's only played PG in 2 games, and over time I think that PG duties will keep being split to open up PT for other guards.
Nika is a superb passer & defender, while Azzi is gaining experience as a superb mid & short range scorer.
UConn still needs to be prepared in the event of an injury/ fouls, and even Ines may eventually see some PT against quick PG's & BE teams.
All 3 are on their own learning curve, and there's some duplication having 2 PG's playing at the same time, considering all of the factors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I reluctantly am entering this 3 year old fray. Surprising some people are still hanging on. (They don't want to admit being wrong?)
Nika is the glue. Watch the highlight package from Monday's game on youtube. Obviously Azzi was the scoring highlight. Lo and behold, I keep seeing Nika flash across the screen doing something beastly. Has anyone mentioned the clutch 3 by Nika, giving UConn their first double digit lead in the 2nd half.
Great teams have players like Nika. Basketball is about having a rock solid unit, not the 5 best scorers. Please understand that, naysayers. Research the great teams, in all sports really, and they have a Nika leading the way. Rambis, AC Green, Horace Grant, Paul Silas, Bobby Wilkerson, Jim Crews, Kelly Faris. Out

Reaction Score
After watching Azzi make her own shot and create opportunities for others, I don't see how anyone wouldn't want to put the ball in her hands every time down the floor. Isn't that crystal clear after last game? She can create her own shot and also open up the game with her penetration to help others score. The point isn't that Nika is good. It's that Azzi is clearly better in so many ways. And this team needs that. This team needs a penetrating guard who can maximize the offense. Put Nika in for 5 minutes and have her rev up the defense at the start of the game if you want, and I can see the benefits of that, but maximize team performance overall with Azzi as point guard. Every minute Nika is on the floor is a minute Azzi, Caroline or Lou are not on the floor. And all of them are fully capable of giving us at least 30 minutes each.

sun

Reaction Score
Put Nika in for 5 minutes and have her rev up the defense at the start of the game if you want, and I can see the benefits of that, but maximize team performance overall with Azzi as point guard. Every minute Nika is on the floor is a minute Azzi, Caroline or Lou are not on the floor. And all of them are fully capable of giving us at least 30 minutes each.
I'm not sure that Carol is ready to go for 30 minutes just yet.
She's hardly played so far and there's also Aubrey.

It could become one dimensional for Nika to only play 5 minutes to start every game like at the end of last year.
We didn't always have a lot of guards that could reliably score.
Nika does help to wear opponents out, and that's when Azzi begins to shine & can take over a game.
And then it's our subs against the opponent's subs which makes our 6th & 7th players even more important to capitalize with.
Once Azzi takes over then you want their defense to be worn down a bit with some of our scorers on the floor.

IMO it can depend on how much their defense is pressuring us and the score, rebounding, fouls & all of the circumstances.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
After watching Azzi make her own shot and create opportunities for others, I don't see how anyone wouldn't want to put the ball in her hands every time down the floor. Isn't that crystal clear after last game? She can create her own shot and also open up the game with her penetration to help others score. The point isn't that Nika is good. It's that Azzi is clearly better in so many ways. And this team needs that. This team needs a penetrating guard who can maximize the offense. Put Nika in for 5 minutes and have her rev up the defense at the start of the game if you want, and I can see the benefits of that, but maximize team performance overall with Azzi as point guard. Every minute Nika is on the floor is a minute Azzi, Caroline or Lou are not on the floor. And all of them are fully capable of giving us at least 30 minutes each.
we all know how you feel.
this has gotten extremely repetitive ... and boring

and it's geno's call anyway

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I reluctantly am entering this 3 year old fray. Surprising some people are still hanging on. (They don't want to admit being wrong?)
Nika is the glue. Watch the highlight package from Monday's game on youtube. Obviously Azzi was the scoring highlight. Lo and behold, I keep seeing Nika flash across the screen doing something beastly. Has anyone mentioned the clutch 3 by Nika, giving UConn their first double digit lead in the 2nd half.
Great teams have players like Nika. Basketball is about having a rock solid unit, not the 5 best scorers. Please understand that, naysayers. Research the great teams, in all sports really, and they have a Nika leading the way. Rambis, AC Green, Horace Grant, Paul Silas, Bobby Wilkerson, Jim Crews, Kelly Faris. Out
If Nika is anything, she a COMPETITOR. Vic Schaefer says it best.

Reaction Score

BB is a blend of complimentary talents and skills. Nika's unique and wonderful contributions have aided the Huskies greatly. Nine assists and 6 count em - 6 steals - were huge against a talented Texas team. She often sets the tone and puts the Huskies in attack mode. Geno has stated she changes the mood and complexion with her intensity...gotta say I completely agree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom