Nice job building the culture Danny | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nice job building the culture Danny

Reaction Score
It’s Cole.

I don’t think another player outside of Cole would’ve helped to be honest. We had nobody who was the best player on the court in the last 5 minutes. That’s what most of our season boiled down to. I kinda wish Hurley would’ve just took whatever lumps this year with not going all in on the senior players.

We were a true high floor low ceiling team. Now I hope we can start building our roster around guys we recruited.
Cole & Gaff got here the same year. Cole literally was with the team the same amount of time as Gaff

Reaction Score
It’s Cole.

I don’t think another player outside of Cole would’ve helped to be honest. We had nobody who was the best player on the court in the last 5 minutes. That’s what most of our season boiled down to. I kinda wish Hurley would’ve just took whatever lumps this year with not going all in on the senior players.

We were a true high floor low ceiling team. Now I hope we can start building our roster around guys we recruited.
Hurley thought he was going to the final 4 last year. KO did every year too. This is why they keep running players like Brimah, Polley and Whaley out there for big minutes while guys like Carlton steam on the bench.

Reaction Score
By the end of Gaffney’s freshman year he was starting and the Boneyard loved his upside. Only to never actually invest in it. Those guys got NBA minutes because they were coached and developed to do so. Outside of Kemba none of those guys were burger boys. They got better every year consistently. Every single guard because there was a plan for them. Hurley has not shown that he has a true plan to develop guys yet.

According to Hurley Gaffney had all the talent in the world too. He showed it in flashes, it was all mental with him. Which could be a result of not managing him the right way. Gaffney did nothing wrong his freshman year to be recruited over and not have the reigns handed to him.

All this to say I’m still not out on Hurley. I just hope he learns his lesson in investing in his players or else the portal is going to became our best recruiting source.
Gaffney wasn’t recruited over. Cole was on the team his freshman year

Reaction Score
Since we're talking about lifetime bans for fake husky fans, can I finally change my dumb name back to Cuse Sucks without it being changed to Cuse Socks? :mad:

Reaction Score
So now he's run off 2 highly touted recruits that never were given a chance to see the floor. All while giving undeserved minutes to upper-classmen in exchange for the 2nd consecutive 1st round NCAA flameout. And in the interest of building culture? Well guess what? Now he's gonna have to fill his team with a bunch of transfers or face next season with his son as our #1 option at point guard. Well done DH. Can't wait to see what you have in store next.
The whole CBB is changed now ..adapt or die..recruiting and transfers will be a 50/50 proposition ..if a kid is good and you do well he stays..U can't get to the tournament and be one and done..players will decide year to year if they are committed. Who knows what it will bring in the future. Culture will matter!

Reaction Score
3884B8F4-902D-4255-A5C8-4421DD044D3F.jpeg

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
So now he's run off 2 highly touted recruits that never were given a chance to see the floor. All while giving undeserved minutes to upper-classmen in exchange for the 2nd consecutive 1st round NCAA flameout. And in the interest of building culture? Well guess what? Now he's gonna have to fill his team with a bunch of transfers or face next season with his son as our #1 option at point guard. Well done DH. Can't wait to see what you have in store next.
I'm not sure it's entirely fair to blame DH for this. I have to assume if Diggins was good enough to play he would have. And when he did hit the floor, you have to admit his play was atrocious. It's what it would have looked like if I took your minutes on the floor.
No clue why Floyd left, but it appears to me that he's afraid of competition for time, a seemingly common theme for young players these days. Even if he didn't redshirt, my guess is he still would have left. Appears butthurt that DH is hitting the portal.
My Q for you is what should he have done differently? Should he not hit the portal for the guard we desperately need? I know you don't like him, but I don't see what DH has done wrong with how he handled the players or situation.
My belief is that this generation of kids feel they deserve to play. The see their ranking, their mix tapes, and believe their own hype. When things don't go their way because they didn't earn their time, they storm off to the portal like little children.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's entirely fair to blame DH for this. I have to assume if Diggins was good enough to play he would have. And when he did hit the floor, you have to admit his play was atrocious. It's what it would have looked like if I took your minutes on the floor.
No clue why Floyd left, but it appears to me that he's afraid of competition for time, a seemingly common theme for young players these days. Even if he didn't redshirt, my guess is he still would have left. Appears butthurt that DH is hitting the portal.
My Q for you is what should he have done differently? Should he not hit the portal for the guard we desperately need? I know you don't like him, but I don't see what DH has done wrong with how he handled the players or situation.
My belief is that this generation of kids feel they deserve to play. The see their ranking, their mix tapes, and believe their own hype. When things don't go their way because they didn't earn their time, they storm off to the portal like little children.
I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying, the new transfer rules have obviously changed the landscape completely. Everyone wants instant gratification and now they are completely free to roam if they don't get it. So Jalen and Rahsool I can understand (although I think he completely mismanaged both of them). But the Floyd thing is odd and troubling. Why bring him in a year early to redshirt? Why sing his praises as recently as a week or two ago? Something just doesn't smell right. Even if we are bringing in an elite guard or two, there would still be ample playing time available. There is something else afoot here, maybe we find out, maybe we don't. But I think everyone here would admit this one came straight out of left field while the other two were not much of a surprise.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Dance Wtf GIF
Yard be freakin' out! Breathe in to a count of four, breathe out to a count of four.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying, the new transfer rules have obviously changed the landscape completely. Everyone wants instant gratification and now they are completely free to roam if they don't get it. So Jalen and Rahsool I can understand (although I think he completely mismanaged both of them). But the Floyd thing is odd and troubling. Why bring him in a year early to redshirt? Why sing his praises as recently as a week or two ago? Something just doesn't smell right. Even if we are bringing in an elite guard or two, there would still be ample playing time available. There is something else afoot here, maybe we find out, maybe we don't. But I think everyone here would admit this one came straight out of left field while the other two were not much of a surprise.
It is odd and troubling for sure. I think we’re all trying to be patient and see how this shakes out, but there’s really no way to sugarcoat it. Let’s not forget DH was singing this kid’s praises just a couple of weeks ago. If we do end up with the other choices in the portal, that’ll be great. But how this is playing out screams another red flag to me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This has to be a culture shock to Hurley and he has to change. Or maybe he did change dramatically in the past 6 weeks.

One thing he needs to learn is you can't please all the people all the time. Even if you try you will not get through to all of the players.

Yes, in the grown up world of sports you have to pick favorites and establish a clear pecking order based on measurable standards which are transparent to everyone.

Kumbaya doesn't work.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Until we hear it from Floyd's mouth, we have no idea why he left. As I said, my guess is I think he didn't like what he perceived as being "recruited over". But you're right, it doesn't smell right. Very odd situation.
As for why bring him in early, I wish more would do that. It gives you a head start on learning the system and get used to the speed of the game. They do it in football as well.

Reaction Score
I fully appreciate that things are totally different with the portal, but it's hard to reconcile these last few days with the focus that Hurley put on "re-recruiting" all of Ollie's players when he arrived. It was foundational to his appeal -- when someone sees what he has to offer, they buy into it. Obviously that's not the case anymore.

Reaction Score
I fully appreciate that things are totally different with the portal, but it's hard to reconcile these last few days with the focus that Hurley put on "re-recruiting" all of Ollie's players when he arrived. It was foundational to his appeal -- when someone sees what he has to offer, they buy into it. Obviously that's not the case anymore.
Yeah, he has a track record now. Players ain’t buying that fast-talking kumbaya crap just because he says it.

Reaction Score
We just lost 5 guards in two weeks. We need 4-5 guards to replace that. That’s not normal at all. There’s a reason to panic.
Sort of, but I've come to the point of accepting that only one of those guards is a loss I can honestly lament (Floyd). The others had to go for one reason or another.

Reaction Score
Getting close to the Patrick Ewing level of transfers out, think have run out of "he wasn't going to play anyway" kids.
UConn is a pretty good school, league is high level, playing time is available. So many transfers out have a reason.
Time will tell. Attracting competent players from the portal is getting more important with each transfer out.
Not sure if NIL money is big deal for top transfers, but given the "hidden money" has always been a part of college sports, think it must be some type of factor.
Not the position expected to be in going into year 5 of the cultural reset; 5 returning scholarship players, no NCAA wins, no point guard. 8 scholarship players gone from the 2022 team, only 2 had no eligibility remaining.
Still have some very important pieces for a good team (hope don't jinx anything), but sure are also missing some important pieces.
Crazy but am more optimistic for UConn football than boy's basketball next year (maybe 'cause for the former just want to compete and the latter want to win some NCAA games).

Reaction Score
Until we hear it from Floyd's mouth, we have no idea why he left. As I said, my guess is I think he didn't like what he perceived as being "recruited over". But you're right, it doesn't smell right. Very odd situation.
They were down to 2 guards. Him and Hawkins. Did he think it was wise to go into next season with just 2 guards? He didn't want to compete with anyone for playing time? There's more to the story than that. Just wish we knew.

Reaction Score
Losing Cole and Martin and their production is a big deal. We look to be an anemic scoring team.

Reaction Score
This has to be a culture shock to Hurley and he has to change. Or maybe he did change dramatically in the past 6 weeks.

One thing he needs to learn is you can't please all the people all the time. Even if you try you will not get through to all of the players.

Yes, in the grown up world of sports you have to pick favorites and establish a clear pecking order based on measurable standards which are transparent to everyone.

Kumbaya doesn't work.
Yup. Something deeper is going on here. It's either an intentional overhaul or something is wrong with the way the program is being run

Reaction Score
They were down to 2 guards. Him and Hawkins. Did he think it was wise to go into next season with just 2 guards? He didn't want to compete with anyone for playing time? There's more to the story than that. Just wish we knew.

Exactly

This undercurrent of parents and entourage types. Floyd has promise. And could have easily filled a Adams type role in 2022-2023 and who knows - given the Big East, it would be top competition. Should be an interesting few weeks coming.

Reaction Score
Losing Cole and Martin and their production is a big deal. We look to be an anemic scoring team.

Anemic? ok ... i am running away from you all because most of you couldn't manage the local gas pumps.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The talk around here seemed to be 2 more guards which I can see his issue with if he wanted the backup guard minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom