OT: - NFL overtime rules | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: NFL overtime rules

Reaction Score
Bills have no one to blame but themselves. Play defense and this isn’t a conversation. Why would you ever give Travis Kielce a free release.

I remember the Giants had to play in overtime their last 2 championship games starting on defense guess what they came up with stops, no one would have complained about Giants getting screwed had they lost by those rules.

Reaction Score
Of course what do you know Bengals played D despite the Chiefs getting the ball in OT and are in the super bowl.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Of course what do you know Bengals played D despite the Chiefs getting the ball in OT and are in the super bowl.

More accurately mahomes missed open receivers and hill didn’t come down with a ball he probably should’ve

Reaction Score
Lol statistically one side is heavily favored to win but yes, this one instance disproves that.

Reaction Score
More accurately mahomes missed open receivers and hill didn’t come down with a ball he probably should’ve
Mahomes was rattled but their D played better then the Bills did right.

Reaction Score
It’s time to adopt a system (at least for the playoffs) similar to college where both teams are guaranteed a shot.

Stupid a game like that comes down to a coin toss.

What an epic weekend of football.
Oh well. This aged poorly in a weeks time.

Reaction Score
One game changed a decade worth of data? I think not.
98 Falcons stopped Vikings when all they needed at the time was a fg, Giants in the 2007 and 2011 nfc championship.

Reaction Score
Yes. Yes, it did. Not a single person will question the OT rules this week.
McLovin making the point that actual statistical data is more meaningful than one instance within a data set and you’re trying to dunk on him by proving how much you don’t understand that concept?

Reaction Score
McLovin making the point that actual statistical data is more meaningful than one instance within a data set and you’re trying to dunk on him by proving how much you don’t understand that concept?
I don’t think the OT system is broken. The numbers outside just the playoffs (a bigger data set) are much more reasonable. And a week after it was such an issue? It’s not an issue again.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yes. Yes, it did. Not a single person will question the OT rules this week.
Glad both teams got a shot.

Maybe the bobble heads on TV wont.

But the past decade of data still says it’s not the best set of rule for the playoffs.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I don’t think the OT system is broken. The numbers outside just the playoffs (a bigger data set) are much more reasonable. And a week after it was such an issue? It’s not an issue again.
Also you can’t use the “bigger” data set when 10% of the bigger data set ends in a tie (a statistical impossibility for playoff football) and 90% of the larger data set was played under differ rules (10 min OT, can end in tie, etc.)

Reaction Score
Can I ask, would you be okay if MLB extra innings were sudden death? First team to score wins?

Reaction Score
Can I ask, would you be okay if MLB extra innings were sudden death? First team to score wins?
Not an accurate comparison. Outs aren’t the same as a running clock. And who bats first isn’t determined by a random coin toss. Nice try.

Reaction Score
Not an accurate comparison. Outs aren’t the same as a running clock. And who bats first isn’t determined by a random coin toss. Nice try.
So the lack of random chance in determining who gets the significant advantage is what would be the issue for you? There is a pretty insignificant difference between outs and downs, so your first point is kind of moot. I mean, under that hypothetical if the home team pitches well and plays good defense, then they have a chance to win, right?

The point of course being, pro sports games should not inherently heavily favor one team based on something completely out of the players/coaches control. It’s mind-numbingly stupid to have a flip of a coin give a team a 20% higher likelihood to win.

Reaction Score
So the lack of random chance in determining who gets the significant advantage is what would be the issue for you? There is a pretty insignificant difference between outs and downs, so your first point is kind of moot. I mean, under that hypothetical if the home team pitches well and plays good defense, then they have a chance to win, right?

The point of course being, pro sports games should not inherently heavily favor one team based on something completely out of the players/coaches control. It’s mind-numbingly stupid to have a flip of a coin give a team a 20% higher likelihood to win.
You do have control over your defense. The Bills gave up that fg too with 13 seconds left as well. Get the stop or go home. Your defense is paid to keep an opponent out of the endzone.

Reaction Score
So the Bengals didn’t play any defense at all, how about Eli Apple dropping that pick 6.

Reaction Score
You do have control over your defense. The Bills gave up that fg too with 13 seconds left as well. Get the stop or go home. Your defense is paid to keep an opponent out of the endzone.
And you have control over your pitching and defense in my hypothetical. Do you at least admit that there is a significant advantage to the team that randomly happens to win the coin toss?

Reaction Score
And you have control over your pitching and defense in my hypothetical. Do you at least admit that there is a significant advantage to the team that randomly happens to win the coin toss?
Sure but I’m a traditionalist and I have gotten to like the OT rule, I do like the strategy of keeping an opponent out of the end zone as opposed to the old rule where a fg ends it on 1st possession.

I’m not really apt to rule changes but if the OT rules do change I say go to the baseball method where the home team has the ball last, no coin toss and no clock.

Reaction Score
So the Bengals didn’t play any defense at all, how about Eli Apple dropping that pick 6.
I don't think this is making the point you think it is. Eli Apple dropping the pick is a pretty good example of the Bengals not playing defense and needing to get lucky where Mahomes threw an actual interception to win the game

the Q

Reaction Score

You mean the slant where he was scorched and the only reason he got hands on it was because the ball was so far behind the wr he couldn’t even get a finger on it?

the Q

Reaction Score
I don't think this is making the point you think it is. Eli Apple dropping the pick is a pretty good example of the Bengals not playing defense and needing to get lucky where Mahomes threw an actual interception to win the game

The receiver was also open on the play and mahomes missed him badly

Reaction Score
Luck is always a factor, Mahomes looked out of it, Mahomes being off had to be a factor for the Bengals to win.

That interception was good coverage should Hill have come up with a catch there probably but it shows you what can happen when you play tight coverage as opposed to giving a free release.

On that interception btw that ball was batted down then intercepted. I would say their defense was better then the Bills I’m sure there was a psychological effect from the end of the half and end of regulation as well from the Chiefs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom