Next Year's Roster | The Boneyard

Next Year's Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's way too early to think about the coming years as we head toward the home stretch of the current season, but I can't help looking at the guys coming into/coming back to UConn and getting real excited. If you think about it, who do we really lose from this year? Napier of course goes to the NBA, Giffey graduates, Olander graduates (finally), and Kromah graduates. Granted you lose one of the great UConn guards in the program's history, but after that you only give up two role players and a bench warmer. Assuming Boatright and Daniels stay for their senior seasons (and after seeing what Napier did, I think they will), here's what UConn looks like next year:

2014-2015 Guards
Ryan Boatright
Omar Calhoun
Terrence Samuel
Sam Cassel Jr.
Rodney Purvis
Danny Hamilton (though he may play more SF because of the above list)
Plus possibility of JaQuan Lyle (#22 overall according to Rivals)
2014-2015 Forwards/Centers
DeAndre Daniels
Kentan Facey
Phil Nolan
Amida Brimah
Rakim Lubin

More experienced Boatright, Daniels, Nolan, Brimah, Facey, and (hopefully) Calhoun. Fresh talent of Purvis, Hamilton, Cassel Jr., and Lubin. The only question will be who takes the shot that can define seasons, nevermind games. This year it's obviously Napier. I don't see that on the 2014-2015 team right now, but I also haven't even seen the team play yet so we'll have to see.

So you lose Napier, Giffey, and Kromah, but I don't think you can make an argument that this 2014-2015 team isn't better than the 2013-2014 team. I suppose time will tell, but I can't help but feel that this program has the chance to do some special things in the future. Thoughts?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Napier graduates too. Next year either Purvis, Boat or Daniels takes the big shot. TBD.

caw

Reaction Score
A lot depends on DD and RB coming back. I don't think Lyle is an option if they do.

They should, but...

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The loss of Napier is so big that we will need multiple guys to play better than might be expected, earlier than would be expected. Boat at point may be an adventure or maybe he will make that quantum leap now that Napier has graduated. We would need some of these guys to play with a pretty high level of poise and maturity to be really good. Obviously we would look for Boat and DD to step up. Will Rodney be ready to play at a high level? Can DH come in and be a high efficiency scorer? Can AB make a big leap in the mental aspect of the game? Can Sam C. come in and play with poise from the get go? Will Rakim Lubin be able to contribute, play at the pace of bigtime basketball? I think maybe YES! For some, anyway.

What a fun year it could be!

Reaction Score
I mean really. What do we lose? Shabazz Napier? That's it? It's not like he hasn't single handily won us some games this year or anything.
Looking back I should have worded it differently. Napier is one of the best PG ever at UConn. But besides Napier we don't really lose anyone. And to me that's exciting. All this talent returning and all of the talent coming in should make for a very good team in the next few years at least.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hard to say. Remember 2012? On paper much more talent/maturity on that team than 2011 but we couldn't compensate for Kemba's skill & leadership.

Reaction Score
Looking back I should have worded it differently. Napier is one of the best PG ever at UConn. But besides Napier we don't really lose anyone. And to me that's exciting. All this talent returning and all of the talent coming in should make for a very good team in the next few years at least.

Giffey and Kromah are 2 of our top 5 players in terms of minutes played per game. And IMO they are the best two defenders on the team, by quite a bit. Next year will be very exciting and I especially can't wait to see Hamilton and Purvis play. The team very well may be more talented, especially in the eyes of NBA GM's but I think you are underselling the importance of Giffey and LK.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
G - Ryan Boatright
G - Rodney Purvis
G - Daniel Hamilton
F - DeAndre Daniels
C - Amida Brimah

However, I think we'd be a better team with Daniels at the 3 and Nolan at the 4. Hamilton coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
. . . you only give up two role players and a bench warmer.
Niels Giffey - His "role" is to be the #2 three point shooter in the entire country, which is certainly drilled into opposing defenders prior to each game, the value of which at forcing a defender to stay planted on the perimeter and not help against driving guards should not be underestimated, understated, undervalued, or undercredited with the use of words like "role player."

Reaction Score
That is a great starting lineup, and should have reasonable depth behind it.

I agree I'm not sure DD and RB return, certainly nice if they do.

G - Ryan Boatright
G - Rodney Purvis
G - Daniel Hamilton
F - DeAndre Daniels
C - Amida Brimah

Reaction Score
The loss of Napier is so big that we will need multiple guys to play better than might be expected, earlier than would be expected. Boat at point may be an adventure or maybe he will make that quantum leap now that Napier has graduated. We would need some of these guys to play with a pretty high level of poise and maturity to be really good. Obviously we would look for Boat and DD to step up. Will Rodney be ready to play at a high level? Can DH come in and be a high efficiency scorer? Can AB make a big leap in the mental aspect of the game? Can Sam C. come in and play with poise from the get go? Will Rakim Lubin be able to contribute, play at the pace of bigtime basketball? I think maybe YES! For some, anyway.

What a fun year it could be!
It is the same thing every season: success will depend on returning players getting better and this is really more important than anything the new players will bring to the table. Brimah will have a season under his belt plus an off season of weight training. Daniels will probably be our #1 scoring option. and of course Boatright has to improve at running the team. Sam C has to be able to relieve Boatright at PG without a huge falloff. So far Samuel hasn't shown that he can be that guy but in another year who knows.It wouldn't surprise me to see Omar return as a major scorer; even more than Purvis or Hamilton. Strange things can happen like possibly Nolan turning into a terrific inside scorer.One thing that we can count on; there will be pleasant surprises and some disappointments. It happens every year.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Everyone is right about how hard it will be to replace Napier, and in retrospect a lot of people, myself included, made this mistake in 2012. It was like, we acknowledged we were losing the guy who just put up the best single season in UConn history, but sort of assumed everything would work out OK. And it didn't.
Napier isn't Kemba, quite, but replacing him will be a huge task.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Knock on wood, but I don't see RB or DD going anywhere. Both have improved but neither has "taken the leap." Maybe DD gets someone in his ear telling him he'll crack the first round, but neither of these guys is going to be convinced he's going in the lottery. They both bleed blue at this point so it's not like they want out of Storrs, and while they no doubt want to play in the NBA, I think they'll come to the realization that coming back is the best way to make their dream a reality.

Just my $0.02, but I think it's pretty obvious to all of us when it makes sense for someone to leave even if we want them to stay.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That is a great starting lineup, and should have reasonable depth behind it.

I agree I'm not sure DD and RB return, certainly nice if they do.
Have a feeling Boat will go pro.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Everyone is right about how hard it will be to replace Napier, and in retrospect a lot of people, myself included, made this mistake in 2012. It was like, we acknowledged we were losing the guy who just put up the best single season in UConn history, but sort of assumed everything would work out OK. And it didn't.
Napier isn't Kemba, quite, but replacing him will be a huge task.

Yeah. I think we hoped the addition of Drummond (the second best recruit in the country) would offset the loss of Kemba. He didn't, and we really didn't see much improvement from the returning players. It was just kind of a tshow of a season. We should have been better than we were, but obviously losing an all-world player like Kemba would have made repeating pretty hard even if everyone played as well as we hoped they would.

Reaction Score
I think if there's a disaster-year that 2014-15 has a danger of mimicking it's 2009-10, with Bazz playing the role of the departed leader AJ Price, and Boat and DD playing the roles of listless seniors Jerome Dyson and Stanley Robinson. If next year goes poorly, it will do so in a way like that dreadful year, with a gaping void of leadership and indifferent play.

For what it's worth, I think Boat will emerge as a stronger leader, even if the on-court play doesn't reach our lofty standards.

There might be growing pains, but I hope we're able to work through them and be strong by March. I expect us to stumble a bit early in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom