Next lottery pick from Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next lottery pick from Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I agree. I love the guy but I don't see where he made this marked improvement over the course of the year. My memory is that he was overmatched more often than not and was a foul machine. Other than St. Joes he wasn't a huge factor in our title run as KO preferred to go small. He of course had some great moments but we really need to temper our expectations. Expecting him to be Thabeet 2.0 is a bit overzealous. Hasheem improved markedly and was an absolute force by the time he was a junior. Not many expected that and Amida may actually be further along than HT was, but I can't envision Amida going for 10-8 this year.

20 and 8 vs UCF (although a weak team) in 20 min is impressive for a freshman playing ball for only 3 or 4 years. He recorded 7 blocks vs Yale, 5 vs SMU, 6 vs another weak team in USF, and 4 in the big win vs Cinci in the AAC tourney. He dropped 14 pts in AAC vs Louisville. He has trouble with committing fouls but that is something he we learn with playing more. There were also small glimpses of his hook shot both right and left handed that will continue to improve and become a part of the UCONN offense in the next few years. I think he has decent footwork for a big man (I attribute this to his soccer background). He can run the break very well which you dont see with many bigs. This is the best start I could have expected for him and imagine if he was able to catch all of the oops off the pick and rolls that are guards threw to him.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
20 and 8 vs UCF (although a weak time) in 20 min is impressive for a freshman playing ball for only 3 or 4 years. He recorded 7 blocks vs Yale, 5 vs SMU, 6 vs another weak team in USF, and 4 in the big win vs Cinci in the AAC tourney. He dropped 14 pts in AAC vs Louisville. He has trouble with committing fouls but that is something he we learn with playing more. There were also small glimpses of his hook shot both right and left handed that will continue to improve and become a part of the UCONN offense in the next few years. I think he has decent footwork for a big man (I attribute this to his soccer background). He can run the break very well which you dont see with many bigs. This is the best start I could have expected for him and imagine if he was able to catch all of the oops off the pick and rolls that are guards threw to him.

He also has a pretty nice looking stroke too. Hopefully it translates into buckets in the future.

Reaction Score
Purvis in 2015. Stone and Hamilton in 2016. Brimah i see as first round in 2016 but not lotto. Jalen Adams aka Devin harris 2.0 in 2017.

Reaction Score
I think the jump we see in Brimah as it relates to skill set and physical maturity from his Soph. to Jr. year will be the most noticeable improvement in the history of the program. My expectations are somewhat tempered for this year based on his offseason rehab. It is all relative though and this year we will see repeated glimpses of his untapped lottery potential.

When we were recruiting Chukwu I wanted him pretty badly. That is clearly no longer the case even though I think Chukwu will be a good player over time. All accounts show the work ethic possessed by Brimah are second to none.

He will blow up his Jr. year and be a lotto pick. I would put a sizable bet on that.

Reaction Score
Purvis in 2015. Stone and Hamilton in 2016. Brimah i see as first round in 2016 but not lotto. Jalen Adams aka Devin harris 2.0 in 2017.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Purvis is going to (1) leave after this year, and (2) be a lottery pick. He hasn't played in 1.5 years, is coming off of surgery, and, honestly, didn't exactly kill it in his one year at NC State.

I think he's more likely to struggle than to come in and dominate right away. Most likely he'll be a solid contributor -- think 2009 Dyson -- but isn't going to be the next Ben Gordon, at least not this year.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why everyone thinks Purvis is going to (1) leave after this year, and (2) be a lottery pick. He hasn't played in 1.5 years, is coming off of surgery, and, honestly, didn't exactly kill it in his one year at NC State.

I think he's more likely to struggle than to come in and dominate right away. Most likely he'll be a solid contributor -- think 2009 Dyson -- but isn't going to be the next Ben Gordon, at least not this year.

he was misused @ nc state and still had a decent year. you compare him to dyson, but dyson never sniffed 44% from the field ( purvis frosh fg%). His surgery should have no effect on his run and jump ability, which is why consider him a lotto pick. I dont think he will necessarily dominate, but he'll show enough to excite scouts. Strength, defense, and shooting.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think the jump we see in Brimah as it relates to skill set and physical maturity from his Soph. to Jr. year will be the most noticeable improvement in the history of the program. My expectations are somewhat tempered for this year based on his offseason rehab. It is all relative though and this year we will see repeated glimpses of his untapped lottery potential.

Dunno about that. Kemba when from good to God from sophomore to junior year.

Reaction Score
No thank you.

Actually, I didn't mean that in a derogatory way. In 2009, Dyson played under control, didn't hog the ball, wasn't a turnover machine, and was generally a productive member of the team as our second or third option on offense.

Now, if I said 2010 Dyson...that would be a problem.

Reaction Score
I see Brimah getting some love from this board.
Are you sure he wouldn't be Thabeet the second?
I think if we can get a BIG into the lottery it will help
with recruiting
In my opinion, he has surpassed Thabeet. He's not quite as dominant on the boards as I'd like to see, but man can he block shots. Very quick ups. And he runs well too.

Reaction Score
uconnfan68 said:
In my opinion, he has surpassed Thabeet. He's not quite as dominant on the boards as I'd like to see, but man can he block shots. Very quick ups. And he runs well too.

Whoa. No chance. Potential is there but you've completely forgotten how dominant Hasheem was.

Reaction Score
Whoa. No chance. Potential is there but you've completely forgotten how dominant Hasheem was.

Hasheem is the most underrated player in UConn history, was in the NPOY discussion his junior year

Reaction Score
Yup, he's already surpassed the co-defensive poy. Brilliant.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Thabeet was one of the best defensive players ever in the history of college basketball. He truly struck fear into opposing players. I've never seen it's like since. Thabeet was:
Brimah doesn't sniff Thabeet yet.

Reaction Score
Dunno about that. Kemba when from good to God from sophomore to junior year.

Kemba went from good to Great from a leadership perspective (from Soph. to Jr. year). EZ pass shot twice as many 3's his Jr. year and his 3 point shooting % was lower than his Soph. year. His 2 point field goal % increased marginally. If I'm not mistaken his assist #'s also decreased his Jr. year (played some off the ball). This of course is just a statistical comparison which is not all inclusive when evaluating a players growth. Kemba was amazing and his improvement noticeable.

I just don't think it is unreasonable at all to think Brimah will show more upside growth than Kemba during that time period (Soph. to Jr. year).

Reaction Score
Actually, I didn't mean that in a derogatory way. In 2009, Dyson played under control, didn't hog the ball, wasn't a turnover machine, and was generally a productive member of the team as our second or third option on offense.

Now, if I said 2010 Dyson...that would be a problem.
Dyson in 2009 deferred to A.J. ,As Price was the clear leader of that team and 1st crunch time option.
2010 Dyson tried to assume that role. But as a 2 with just an average handle and questionable decision making he wasn't the right guy. Kemba even as a Soph was a better choice. But it's tough for a star senior to defer to a Soph.
2011 there was no doubt about who was in charge.
2012 again there was no clear guy ,Bazz tried but as a Soph and lacking Kemba's carisma he never succeeded. Probably even hurt.
2013 and 2014 were successful as Bazz matured into that roll and he actually was the upper class men.
2015 success will be determined as much on RB taking control of the team
A conflict similar to 2010,and 2012 will result in repeating those years.
Anyone see the pattern between clear leader and success.
I'm not sure Rodney is any better than Dyson , if he as good ,I will be thrilled.
It's understanding that this is Ryan 's team that will mean success or failure.

C

Chief00

I agree with much of your analysis with some significant difference which I don't have the time to get into.
Shabazz made such a transformation between 2012 and 2014 that it's possible Boatright might do the same, I suppose. He did make a defensive transformation at the end of last season and I think that is one of the most underrated reasons why we won the NC. More than any other guy he took whole teams out of their game plan - as someone who loves the game itself I was amazed at how he was able to do that.
I don't think Boat is quite the long range shooter Bazz was but he is probably better off the dribble. He improved in decision making while Bazz was truly elite in that area last season.
I like his reported work dedication that's a sign of increase maturity.

Reaction Score
A conflict similar to 2010,and 2012 will result in repeating those years.
Anyone see the pattern between clear leader and success.
I'm not sure Rodney is any better than Dyson , if he as good ,I will be thrilled.
It's understanding that this is Ryan 's team that will mean success or failure.

I largely share your concerns. Our success next year will hinge on how Boat and Purvis can coexist in the backcourt in their first and only year together. Piece of Jeff Goodman has expressed deep skepticism of those two and Hamilton being able to share the ball.

We'll see how it unfolds, but I think by mid-December we'll have a good idea of how this year is going to go.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Kemba went from good to Great from a leadership perspective (from Soph. to Jr. year). EZ pass shot twice as many 3's his Jr. year and his 3 point shooting % was lower than his Soph. year. His 2 point field goal % increased marginally. If I'm not mistaken his assist #'s also decreased his Jr. year (played some off the ball). This of course is just a statistical comparison which is not all inclusive when evaluating a players growth. Kemba was amazing and his improvement noticeable.

I just don't think it is unreasonable at all to think Brimah will show more upside growth than Kemba during that time period (Soph. to Jr. year).

His field goal %'s went down because he was playing with a bunch of kids. He was an entire team for most of the year. It was more than just leadership, he literally became the best player in the country from a fringe all conference player.

If Brimah improves at the same rate, he will be the equivalent of Patrick Ewing. I'm all for this mind you.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If AB develops into a lottery pick, we are going to be one awesome team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom