Newton wrapped up Big East POY today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Newton wrapped up Big East POY today

Reaction Score
He's leading the best team in the conference in points, rebounds, and assists, despite the fact the rest of the starting five could be on one all-big east team or another.

This shouldn't be difficult.

Poe

Reaction Score
Big East needs some more of this
IMG_4301.jpeg

Reaction Score
Scheierman is 3rd in PPG and 2nd in RPG and 9th in APG with less turnovers than Newton.

Newton is 13th in PPG, 7th in RPG, and 2nd in APG.

So box score stats go to Scheierman. If we go by KenPom it's Newton. If we go by Torvik it's Kalkbrenner. If we go by RAPM it's Clingan. RAPM with minutes mattering it's Kalkbrenner, same with Win Shares. BPR, BPM, and PER is Clingan. Porpagatu is Cam.

There's a lot of possible answers. I tend to think KenPom has the right answer based on how people view the "player of the year" so I think it will be Newton.

Reaction Score
Scheierman is 3rd in PPG and 2nd in RPG and 9th in APG with less turnovers than Newton.

Newton is 13th in PPG, 7th in RPG, and 2nd in APG.

So box score stats go to Scheierman. If we go by KenPom it's Newton. If we go by Torvik it's Kalkbrenner. If we go by RAPM it's Clingan. RAPM with minutes mattering it's Kalkbrenner, same with Win Shares. BPR, BPM, and PER is Clingan. Porpagatu is Cam.

There's a lot of possible answers. I tend to think KenPom has the right answer based on how people view the "player of the year" so I think it will be Newton.
nerd-gif.gif

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m sure everyone noticed he elected the road uni and wondered why?

Check the home/road splits. The man loves going into other people’s gyms and kicking their ass. I have a feeling he gets another triple double in the next two.

Scheierman may get POY and that would be ~okay~ but I will lose my lunch if it goes to Devin Carter of the 7th place pc friars

Reaction Score
Coach and Castle win by a mile. DC has an outside shot at DPOY. T Newt will come up short for POY, but he played well enough to win it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m sure everyone noticed he elected the road uni and wondered why?

Check the home/road splits. The man loves going into other people’s gyms and kicking their ass. I have a feeling he gets another triple double in the next two.

Scheierman may get POY and that would be ~okay~ but I will lose my lunch if it goes to Devin Carter of the 7th place pc friars
I thought it was because they gave him the home uni last year.

Reaction Score
Dual is having a pretty rough season. I think Veccine had him in the lottery before the start of the season. That was a swing and a miss. He has some raw talent and size no doubt, but it's going to need a bunch of polishing going forward. That isnt unusual for frosh though.

Stewie should be on it.

There are like 10 freshman who are even rotation players. I’d give the DePaul kid Churchill Abass a vote for his nice discard and dunk vs. Clingan. Or the big for Creighton who hit his 1st two 3s against us.

Vecenie also thought Griffiths could potentially be a 1 and done and he can’t hit the broad side of a barn. I’d still take him as a transfer, though.

Reaction Score
I don’t think BE POY is really that close. Newton is what makes us tick.
When we had our rough slide last year it was exactly when he was slumping. Then he turned things around and we never lost. If he doesn’t get it, it’s as criminal as Hurley not winning COY. When you dominate a conference like we have the awards should reflect the results.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There are like 10 freshman who are even rotation players. I’d give the DePaul kid Churchill Abass a vote for his nice discard and dunk vs. Clingan. Or the big for Creighton who hit his 1st two 3s against us.

Vecenie also thought Griffiths could potentially be a 1 and done and he can’t hit the broad side of a barn. I’d still take him as a transfer, though.
I agree on Griffiths . I think he will turn out to be a nice player

Reaction Score
I don’t think BE POY is really that close. Newton is what makes us tick.
When we had our rough slide last year it was exactly when he was slumping. Then he turned things around and we never lost. If he doesn’t get it, it’s as criminal as Hurley not winning COY. When you dominate a conference like we have the awards should reflect the results.
Of late, teams have been gameplanning much stronger against Cam than Tristen. Newton's skillsets have a bit more redundancy this year as Cam and Castle can both drive whereas last year we had really only him that could penetrate 1v1 or off PnR since neither Jackson nor Hawkins were proficient at it (Jackson could run PnR but he was passing 95% of the time and not getting to the rim).

He's had unquestionably a better season this year as his efficiency is up despite his usage going up (rare thing), his rebounding is up, his assist rate is up, he's drawing even more fouls, and his turnover rate is down. But at the same time I think he's less vital to our offense.

His health has been indispensable though as everyone else got hurt around him.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Of late, teams have been gameplanning much stronger against Cam than Tristen.

They have, and I love Cam's response to it. He accepts it, doesn't force anything and keeps running through all the sets full bore as a decoy which is really opening the lane up for Steph and also giving Clingan and cutters a lot of space to operate. And because he is a patient, composed, willing passer we are getting great stuff out of it.

Teams picking their poison against us is a lot less effective than it could be at times last season and was earlier this year. The Creighton loss was obvious that it was gameplanned heavily against Cam and Alex on the 3 line as McDermott is smart enough to know that if those 2 start lighting it from deep things get ugly in a hurry, so he wanted to challenge us to beat them by death by a thousand cuts (aka mid range shots) and we weren't up for it. Kalk in drop coverage as usual but the guards staying over and connected to the shooters every screen. We had a ton of room around the foul line and elbows. We adjusted well and recognized that we were being given mid range but man, I've never seen so many front rimmed floaters and mid jumpers front Steph, Cam, and Tristen, although at least Tristen started to make hay with it as the 2nd half wore on. Even with all that, it still took the shooting night of a magical herd of unicorns to beat us. It's a bold bet thinking you can take BOTH Karaban and Spencer out of a game. It worked for them in that singular instance.

All a long winded way of saying that they all can continue to focus on Cam but if Alex gets back on track its game over. For EVERYONE.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They have, and I love Cam's response to it. He accepts it, doesn't force anything and keeps running through all the sets full bore as a decoy which is really opening the lane up for Steph and also giving Clingan and cutters a lot of space to operate. And because he is a patient, composed, willing passer we are getting great stuff out of it.

Teams picking their poison against us is a lot less effective than it could be at times last season and was earlier this year. The Creighton loss was obvious that it was gameplanned heavily against Cam and Alex on the 3 line as McDermott is smart enough to know that if those 2 start lighting it from deep things get ugly in a hurry, so he wanted to challenge us to beat them by death by a thousand cuts (aka mid range shots) and we weren't up for it. Kalk in drop coverage as usual but the guards staying over and connected to the shooters every screen. We had a ton of room around the foul line and elbows. We adjusted well and recognized that we were being given mid range but man, I've never seen so many front rimmed floaters and mid jumpers front Steph, Cam, and Tristen, although at least Tristen started to make hay with it as the 2nd half wore on. Even with all that, it still took the shooting night of a magical herd of unicorns to beat us. It's a bold bet thinking you can take BOTH Karaban and Spencer out of a game. It worked for them in that singular instance.

All a long winded way of saying that they all can continue to focus on Cam but if Alex gets back on track its game over. For EVERYONE.
Not everyone is going to be able to have a 7’ to make this gameplan with either. So good luck to those people trying to replicate it.

Reaction Score
Of late, teams have been gameplanning much stronger against Cam than Tristen. Newton's skillsets have a bit more redundancy this year as Cam and Castle can both drive whereas last year we had really only him that could penetrate 1v1 or off PnR since neither Jackson nor Hawkins were proficient at it (Jackson could run PnR but he was passing 95% of the time and not getting to the rim).

He's had unquestionably a better season this year as his efficiency is up despite his usage going up (rare thing), his rebounding is up, his assist rate is up, he's drawing even more fouls, and his turnover rate is down. But at the same time I think he's less vital to our offense.

His health has been indispensable though as everyone else got hurt around him.
The reason teams are keying on Spencer is he’s a bit easier to stop than Newton. He’s less athletic and drives a lot less than Newton and he doesn’t have the speed to blow by a quicker defender. If you can take away his 3 point looks you can limit his damage. Newton (and Castle) can create their own offense no matter who is guarding them. You can just go back and watch the Kansas game. They absolutely took away our offense, but they could do nothing about stopping Newton.

With our team you can’t stop everyone from scoring, so teams take away the option that is the easiest for them to take away which is Cam. When they try doubling or taking away Karaban’s 3 pt game he will immediately burn teams with back door cuts and drives, he’s basically too smart to try to key on for a defense.

Cam has had good luck driving and hitting mid range shots, but against a bigger and quicker defender that gets taken away. Newton is our most important player on offense. Clingan is the player who
Impacts the game the most on both ends, but his stats and injury take him out of most player of the year conversations

Reaction Score
For years BE POY was essentially "best player on the best team"--unless there was a runaway, undeniable winner--but of course once we're finally in that situation it'll go to someone with better individual statistics. I'm confident Newton will not win the award.

Reaction Score
For years BE POY was essentially "best player on the best team"--unless there was a runaway, undeniable winner--but of course once we're finally in that situation it'll go to someone with better individual statistics. I'm confident Newton will not win the award.
Casey Jacobsen on FS1 just said Newton is his BEPOY.

Don't discount the inclination to give the award to someone on the best team. Was he the best player? I could easily make a case that Carter has been the best player. But would they give it to a player who finishes outside of the top 4 or 5 teams? We'll see.

Reaction Score
The reason teams are keying on Spencer is he’s a bit easier to stop than Newton. He’s less athletic and drives a lot less than Newton and he doesn’t have the speed to blow by a quicker defender. If you can take away his 3 point looks you can limit his damage. Newton (and Castle) can create their own offense no matter who is guarding them. You can just go back and watch the Kansas game. They absolutely took away our offense, but they could do nothing about stopping Newton.

With our team you can’t stop everyone from scoring, so teams take away the option that is the easiest for them to take away which is Cam. When they try doubling or taking away Karaban’s 3 pt game he will immediately burn teams with back door cuts and drives, he’s basically too smart to try to key on for a defense.

Cam has had good luck driving and hitting mid range shots, but against a bigger and quicker defender that gets taken away. Newton is our most important player on offense. Clingan is the player who
Impacts the game the most on both ends, but his stats and injury take him out of most player of the year conversations
I think Holloway had the right gameplan. Focusing on taking away Spencer and trying to get Clingan into foul trouble is your best chance of beating us. Cam's efficiency is off the charts and his shots tend to be backbreaking momentum type shots for us.

Right gameplan but there's nothing you can do when Castle and Clingan play like that. It's pick your poison, if you focus so hard on taking the perimeter away from Cam and AK it opens things up for Newton, Castle, Clingan, and Diarra in the lane and around the rim.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
What a year, what a leader. He led by example hustling for nearly 40 minutes a game. He definitely was the floor general, especially through all the injuries. He was the most consistent player. He should get some NBA tryouts.
Lot of words have been written - but all ya gotta know is he's the best player on the best team in the country. Done.

Reaction Score
How come Gillespie got it when he was best player on best team. How come kolek got it last year when he was best player on best team. But when it comes to newton - who’s our best player on the best team in COUNTRY- everyone saying schierrmannn. F thattt

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom