Newton wrapped up Big East POY today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newton wrapped up Big East POY today

Reaction Score
Collin Gillespie’s stats as a 5th year player and runaway POY in the big east as the leader and clutch PG of the best team in the conference: 15, 4, and 3

Kolek won the award average 12.9 points and 7.5 assists last season.

Reaction Score
COY and FOY I'd be legitimately disappointed if it's not Hurley and Castle, I think both of those happen.

DPOY should be Clingan, but that award has always been more about stats than true impact so it's whatever when he doesn't win it

6MOY should be Hassan, but that's the easiest one to spread around and not vote all UConn. Not the end of the world when one of the Nova guys gets it

POY won't be UConn, you likely wouldn't even get a unanimous answer from fans which player should win it from UConn. It'll be almost as enjoyable as Newton winning POY to see a 1st team All American not be the conference POY
Clingan also missed 25% of the big east season, had that not been the case he'd probably be leading that race.

Reaction Score
We're too deep for POY awards. Won't win COY either. DPOY? Nope, don't think so

But if Stephon Castle doesn't win FOY, then that's criminal, it's voter fraud, just ignore all these media driven accolades for the rest of our existence in the Big East. However long that may be.
Hurley is going to win National coach of the year.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents:

POY: My prediction is that Newton/Cam split enough votes that Scheierman wins it. He’s had a great year as well

DPOY: counting stats award so it’ll be Kalkbrenner. I would actually love to see Marquette’s Stevie Mitchell win this

6MOY: I’m biased but should be Diarra. His stats don’t reflect his impact so I could see it going to someone with better box scores

FOY: 1 man race and that 1 man is Stephon Castle

COY: this has to be Dan Hurley. Marquette and Creighton were projected to finish 1/2, and they’re going to be 2/3, so you can’t give it to guys who underperformed their preseason rankings. UConn was projected 3rd and they are running away with 1st. Shaheen was projected 3rd to last and he’s going to finish 4/5, but you can’t give COY to a guy that’s barely .500 in conference. Those are the only 4 that should be considered and Hurley should win easily

Reaction Score
We're too deep for POY awards. Won't win COY either. DPOY? Nope, don't think so

But if Stephon Castle doesn't win FOY, then that's criminal, it's voter fraud, just ignore all these media driven accolades for the rest of our existence in the Big East. However long that may be.
Castle's will win it. The Freshman of the Year award is really the best NBA prospect award as we found out with Cam Whitmore last year, and he's got that covered in addition to his production on the court.

Reaction Score
Don’t necessarily think it’s about balance. He got off to a bad start shooting wise in the BE. He’s come around recently but the others score more at a more efficient clip despite Newton being the one with the weapons around him and offense that gets him good looks.

He still has time to make some statements before it’s wrapped up.
It works the opposite for Newton. He tries to facilitate so much that he often finds himself driving or shooting 3 very late in the shot clock. He takes more contested shots for UConn than anyone else on the team.

Reaction Score

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Reaction Score
Castle's will win it. The Freshman of the Year award is really the best NBA prospect award as we found out with Cam Whitmore last year, and he's got that covered in addition to his production on the court.
To be fair Steph is really the only freshman who’s done anything at all this year. It should have been Alex’s last year Whjtmore numbers always felt like empty calories

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Clearly Ed Cooley is BE COTY. He got a six million dollar salary. Now that's coaching.
Took the words right outta my mouth!

FOTY is a lock, the rest I dunno. Our guys spread it around which makes it a bit harder. COY? We'll see. I think he's absolutely deserving but that's worth less than a nickel. My guess is we'll be skipped... just more ammo for the team.

Reaction Score
Yes last week
He was on the "Honor Roll" last week.

Tristen Newton was also named to the league’s honor roll for the fifth time this year after he followed a 27-point, 12-rebound performance against Creighton with the fourth triple-double of his career against Villanova. Newton had 10 points, 10 assists and a career-high 16 rebounds in the 24-point win over the Wildcats.

Reaction Score
It's not even close. There is no other freshman who can possibly win the award this season. I'm not even sure who is on the 5 team freshman team. Ball or Stewart might get on it because there just aren't enough options. Coleman from Seton Hall. And then who else?

Reaction Score
UConn graduate point guard Tristen Newton continued to earn national recognition as one of the best players at his position in all of college basketball as he was named a top five finalist for the Bob Cousy Award on Monday.

The award, presented annually by the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, honors the top point guard in Division I men’s basketball.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's not even close. There is no other freshman who can possibly win the award this season. I'm not even sure who is on the 5 team freshman team. Ball or Stewart might get on it because there just aren't enough options. Coleman from Seton Hall. And then who else?
Green on Xavier. Barron and Dual on Providence. Brumbaugh on Georgetown. So yeah, there is no one else remotely playing in the same hemisphere as Steph.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Green on Xavier. Barron and Dual on Providence. Brumbaugh on Georgetown. So yeah, there is no one else remotely playing in the same hemisphere as Steph.
What a weak group that is. Lol. Dual is averaging 18.8 minutes per game and 3.1 points on 29% shooting (26% from three). And that gets you on the BEFOTY? Ball actually has better overall stats but hasn't really played much during the conference portion of the schedule; 14.7 minutes per game and 4.1 points on 40% shooting (34% from three).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What a weak group that is. Lol. Dual is averaging 18.8 minutes per game and 3.1 points on 29% shooting (26% from three). And that gets you on the BEFOTY? Ball actually has better overall stats but hasn't really played much during the conference portion of the schedule; 14.7 minutes per game and 4.1 points on 40% shooting (34% from three).

Dual is having a pretty rough season. I think Veccine had him in the lottery before the start of the season. That was a swing and a miss. He has some raw talent and size no doubt, but it's going to need a bunch of polishing going forward. That isnt unusual for frosh though.

Stewie should be on it.

Reaction Score
I posted this a couple of weeks ago when Castle was approaching Melo's Freshman of the week record but look at the BE All Freshman team the year Melo won, this is a gigantic difference

Capture.png

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I posted this a couple of weeks ago when Castle was approaching Melo's Freshman of the week record but look at the BE All Freshman team the year Melo won, this is a gigantic difference

Capture.png
Leading scorer in the Big East averages 19.3 a game this year lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom