New XL Center | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Just me dreaming, but if the state is going to build a new arena (something that I doubt will happen soon), I'd love to see it located near the Rent and designate that area as a "sports complex" (similar to Philadelphia). I'm sure the downtown Hartford businesses, especially the bars and restaurants, will fight tooth and nail to keep any new arena downtown. But as far as convenience of getting in and out go, having a sports complex located a stone's throw away from a major CT artery is a good idea. They could then build up that area with restaurants/bars/shopping/hotels similar to Patriot Place around Gillette. But to do all of this would probably require more land to be donated/sold by UTC.

Reaction Score
Find that surprising with the Hartford-area's reported shrinking corporate base, rapidly aging population, etc., but will go with your view. Given mass rushes to the 'burbs each rush hour, sadly appearances whenever in Hartford suggest the city itself is on CPR despite recent efforts to inspire growth. As other messages suggest, perhaps not, yet it's challenging at best to believe anyone rationally believes an NHL franchise will return to Hartford. With only some UCONN games (hoops, hockey, and women's basketball), a struggling AHL team, some ice show, concerts, etc., what's the economic justification to build a large enough, 2020-competitive arena to potentially entice the NHL? Tough sell to other areas of CT too ...
Well the alternative is to knock it down and watch downtown be overrun with tumbleweeds. The building is literally falling apart and needs to be replaced. I get it you don't like Hartford but it has potential and a new arena is essential to keep people coming downtown. New Haven had the luxury of colleges, arts and restaurants and could afford to lose sports and entertainment, Hartford however is reliant on entertainment money and if taken away prepare to subsidize the city even more.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well the alternative is to knock it down and watch downtown be overrun with tumbleweeds. The building is literally falling apart and needs to be replaced. I get it you don't like Hartford but it has potential and a new arena is essential to keep people coming downtown. New Haven had the luxury of colleges, arts and restaurants and could afford to lose sports and entertainment, Hartford however is reliant on entertainment money and if taken away prepare to subsidize the city even more.
If the viability of Hartford is based entirely on building a new state of the art arena without any sort of sensible projection that their will be some meaningful ROI then the buldozers should take out more than just the XL. I don't believe that to be true, however.

The notion that if I get what I want everything will suddenly turn out to be alright, not because of any logical reason but because I fervently want to it turn out that way is commonly called "magic thinking." It is more common in 3 year olds than in investors or city planners. Unfortunately is also fairly common in politicians, notably so in Hartford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well the alternative is to knock it down and watch downtown be overrun with tumbleweeds. The building is literally falling apart and needs to be replaced. I get it you don't like Hartford but it has potential and a new arena is essential to keep people coming downtown.
Reasonably, I may question what the state government or some one-time Whalers' fans may be smoking, but it's more pity than dislike for the city itself. Even if funded by some crazy investor deluded by visions of an NHL return, no doubt a new arena may help Hartford a bit. Tough sell for public funding, especially outside of Hartford County.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Reasonably, I may question what the state government or some one-time Whalers' fans may be smoking, but it's more pity than dislike for the city itself. Even if funded by some crazy investor deluded by visions of an NHL return, no doubt a new arena may help Hartford a bit. Tough sell for public funding, especially outside of Hartford County.
I agree. We're going to spend how much to benefit a few bars downtown?

Reaction Score
With Bettman in charge of the NHL, Hartford has 0% of getting a NHL team. Even if someone competent ran the NHL, Hartford chances are only slightly better as it is well behind the following cities (in no specific order): Quebec City, Toronto #2/Hamilton, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Seattle.

Let Hartford fix Hartford's issues. Build a 10K arena, which is comparable to similar cities have in the region (Providence, Manchester, Albany, etc.) and solidly the city's slot as a solid AHL team and other events. That will allow UConn to solve it's own needs for a larger on campus basketball (12K) and hockey (6K) arenas or arena. Storrs provides a better environment for the Huskies, anyway. Of course, with Connecticut politics involved, that's a pipedream.
10,000 seat arena, ummm no.

Reaction Score
Just me dreaming, but if the state is going to build a new arena (something that I doubt will happen soon), I'd love to see it located near the Rent and designate that area as a "sports complex" (similar to Philadelphia). I'm sure the downtown Hartford businesses, especially the bars and restaurants, will fight tooth and nail to keep any new arena downtown. But as far as convenience of getting in and out go, having a sports complex located a stone's throw away from a major CT artery is a good idea. They could then build up that area with restaurants/bars/shopping/hotels similar to Patriot Place around Gillette. But to do all of this would probably require more land to be donated/sold by UTC.
Put a tarp over the Rent and flood the field.

Reaction Score

What about next to the convention center? Can be used for convention events,too, and would help grow that part of the city into an entertainment district.

Reaction Score
From a UConn perspective, I'm not sure what's the right answer.

If Connecticut builds a new arena, there is going to be an ass ton of pressure for UConn to put every possible basketball and hockey game in that building - and that's not a good thing for us.
of course it is... somehow UofL has done very well with the YUM center.
bring that guy in to work the numbers for Uconn. reported revenues could surpass Texas.

Reaction Score
of course it is... somehow UofL has done very well with the YUM center.
bring that guy in to work the numbers for Uconn. reported revenues could surpass Texas.

The Yum! Center is only about 5 miles from campus compared to 30 or so between Stores and the XL. As for revenue, it's all smoke and mirrors. The Cardinals got a sweetheart deal whee then keep most of ticket and confession revenue while the city gets stuck with all of the debt service. If the city lets the Yum controlling entity go into bankruptcy, the University's glowing revenue will take a major hit.

Reaction Score
There is a whole different sort of donor base there as well. Apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
What about next to the convention center? Can be used for convention events,too, and would help grow that part of the city into an entertainment district.

There isn't much room left over there. The front st district is taking shape and the front st apartments and UConn Hartford pretty much. Claim any available land left by the convention center.

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:

There isn't much room left over there. The front st district is taking shape and the front st apartments and UConn Hartford pretty much claim any available land left by the convention center.

Reaction Score
People need an attitude adjustment regarding Hartford. It is not a small market. It is a larger market than Indianapolis, for instance. It is simply located between huge markets. Hartford supported the Whalers, it supports multi show concert runs and many other events.

Check your facts. Hartford didn't support the Whalers for a long time. From 91 to 95 they were bottom 3 in NHL attendance. In 93/94, they trailed only
Ottawa in attendance and only bumped it up their final year in a toothless attempt to keep a team that was already gone.

Reaction Score
The Hartford Business Journal has been giving statistics on how businesses are moving back to Hartford and the office vacancy rate is declining. Also, a tremendous amount of apartment building is going on in the city, an example of which is the Old Bank of America building on main st. Uconn at Hartford will open soon at the old Times building. In addition, there will soon be train service a number of times a day from Hartford to Boston and a Busway service from the other direction. If you put an event on in Hartford, people show up. We need a new state of the art XL center as a centerpiece for the other sporting venues, Convention Center, museums, Infinity Hall and restaurants. We can't be shortsighted and under build. Nobody from Uconn should complain about the cost in taxes when the State is spending 2 BILLION at the Campus.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Hartford Business Journal has been giving statistics on how businesses are moving back to Hartford and the office vacancy rate is declining. Also, a tremendous amount of apartment building is going on in the city, an example of which is the Old Bank of America building on main st. Uconn at Hartford will open soon at the old Times building. In addition, there will soon be train service a number of times a day from Hartford to Boston and a Busway service from the other direction. If you put an event on in Hartford, people show up. We need a new state of the art XL center as a centerpiece for the other sporting venues, Convention Center, museums, Infinity Hall and restaurants. We can't be shortsighted and under build. Nobody from Uconn should complain about the cost in taxes when the State is spending 2 BILLION at the Campus.
You better believe I have a right to complain if a $500 million dollar arena in Hartford involves any of my taxes. UConn has been worth the $2B investment. I remain skeptical that a state of the art arena, at that cost, will be worth it.

Reaction Score
Do you mean Susan Herbst's raise. Not much over site on spending at Uconn.

Reaction Score
This may well be true but the solution would be a new 12,500 seat arena on campus, not a new 16,000 seat arena in downtown Hartford.

A major part of the solution is for Hartford to find a means of increasing foot traffic that does not involve UConn sporting events.
As far as a New arena on campus there would need to be a major infrastructure improvement. Additional traffic will make getting there and parking even more problematic. I would like it though.

Reaction Score
Check your facts. Hartford didn't support the Whalers for a long time. From 91 to 95 they were bottom 3 in NHL attendance. In 93/94, they trailed only
Ottawa in attendance and only bumped it up their final year in a toothless attempt to keep a team that was already gone.
Yet they outdrew the Bruins in the mid 80's. Chicago was dead last in attendance 6 years ago and now they're 1st. Winning cures all. Saying fans didn't support the Whalers is ignorant.

Reaction Score
As a person who loves cities and mixed use activity, Hartford frankly sucks. It has none of the energy that cities that are coming up fast have. (New Haven - for instance; Providence for sure)

Would a $500m Sports centered development change things? I have not seen that the City has any idea how to create the great things that are going on elsewhere or even aligning with groups that do that well. Look at the LWLP program at the old Coliseum site in NH. Transformative. I have little confidence that Hartford will ever pull that together. I see political crap and same ol'. The history across many US cities is about graft & corruption often. The answer is a Residential Walkable city focused on a demand driver like a large medical center (Yale New Haven again) or an urban University. With great dining and entertainment.

The University and your $2B? That, my friends, is the economic engine that could raise the entire state. Good things are happening and accelerating. Herbst may be the most important component of the State. And, like the dynamo she is, UConn Hartford & UConn Medical & UConn Stamford & UConn Law all are benefiting. Somewhere I am hearing a fan talk about the Marxist Liberal agenda of Universities (or the Scott Walker attempt to degrade the University of Wisconsin to just Vocational training). It's not. Higher Ed is where the dollars should be spent.

Reaction Score
Yet they outdrew the Bruins in the mid 80's. Chicago was dead last in attendance 6 years ago and now they're 1st. Winning cures all. Saying fans didn't support the Whalers is ignorant.

82/83: Bruins were 11th, Whalers were 19th out of 21 teams.
83/84: Bruins were 15th, Whalers were 18th.
84/85: Bruins were 15th, Whalers were 19th.
85/86: Whalers were 15th, Bruins were 18th
86/87: Whalers were 13th, Bruins were 18th
87/88: Whalers were 13th, Bruins were 16th
88/89: Bruins were 16th, Whalers were 18th

And then the bottom completely fell out of the Whalers fan base. They latched onto a winning bandwagon for a couple years and flamed right out of town. Boston and Chicago are in the original 6. To even mention Whaler attendance with either franchise is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
82/83: Bruins were 11th, Whalers were 19th out of 21 teams.
83/84: Bruins were 15th, Whalers were 18th.
84/85: Bruins were 15th, Whalers were 19th.
85/86: Whalers were 15th, Bruins were 18th
86/87: Whalers were 13th, Bruins were 18th
87/88: Whalers were 13th, Bruins were 16th
88/89: Bruins were 16th, Whalers were 18th

And then the bottom completely fell out of the Whalers fan base. They latched onto a winning bandwagon for a couple years and flamed right out of town. Boston and Chicago are in the original 6. To even mention Whaler attendance with either franchise is ridiculous.
Are you a Bruins fan??

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So the Whalers drew well the few years they were good and not so well when they stunk. Makes sense. They had the worst ownership in sports when Gordon owned them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom