New XL Center | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When did I say that was exclusive to Hartford? The fact is that it IS reflective of Hartford. Look at the UConn men. 4 national championships in 15 years and they can't draw fans to a XL Center game against a lower tier non-conference opponent.

12/14/14 Sunday against Coppin State. Attendance = 8,260
11/26/13 Tuesday against Loyola. Attendance = 9,497

You really think a .500 NHL team is going to get HALF a building on a cold Tuesday against Columbus or Toronto? In Hartford? Riiiiiight. Sure thing.
The whale averaged 13K-14K the few years they were good.
If your argument had any legs to stand on in that Hartford didn't support a winning NHL team then I could see your point.
Unfortunately we were stuck with one of the laughingstocks of pro sports over a 2 decade timeframe...and for that you want to dump on the market.
riiiiiiight

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The whale averaged 13K-14K the few years they were good.
If your argument had any legs to stand on in that Hartford didn't support a winning NHL team then I could see your point.
Unfortunately we were stuck with one of the laughingstocks of pro sports over a 2 decade timeframe...and for that you want to dump on the market.
riiiiiiight

As someone else pointed out (maybe Waquoit), Whalers ownership never counted the suites/Coliseum Club as part of attendance, so our numbers were also lower than they should have been.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is nonsense and it's this type of attitude from Nutmeggers that's always hurt the state.
If the first part of your sentence was accurate, the second part wouldn't be.

I agree with Deep. They've been talking about a renaissance in Hartford for at least the 30+ years that I've been paying attention and it's only gotten worse, not better during that time.

Reaction Score
I think another aspect of attendance at Uconn games in Hartford is the trashy facilities themselves. I have never been in a place with as bad of sight lines at the xl center. I remember going to a Uconn Syracuse game when Rudy gay was playing. We had sears in row dd. It was almost impossible to see the court. I have had a better view in the last row of giants stadium. If you are more than one third of the way up in the upper level you might as well stay home. Xl rivals the old New Haven Coliseum and Nassau Coliseum as the biggest dumps I have been too. And for the record I do have season tickets to Hartford.

Reaction Score

I agree with Deep. They've been talking about a renaissance in Hartford for at least the 30+ years that I've been paying attention and it's only gotten worse, not better during that time.
Which is why a new arena, ballpark, housing,retail and UConn Campus are being built. People (including some govt. officials) complain that Hartford is a dump than complain when any project is proposed which usually leads to it being abandoned or scaled down. Time to just get it done.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score

There are thousands of people moving into the city just this year, along with some employers and schools following them. Will it become Boston, no. But better days are ahead, it is clear to those of us who spend a lot of time in the city.

In short, don't hate.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are thousands of people moving into the city just this year, along with some employers and schools following them. Will it become Boston, no. But better days are ahead, it is clear to those of us who spend a lot of time in the city.

In short, don't hate.
Not hating, just observing. I hope you are right, but so much of the conversation starts to feel like "deja vu all over again." I spent a lot of time in Hartford during undergrad and law school and lived there for a couple years in the early 90s. Since then I've probably been in Hartford on at least a weekly basis for the past 20+ years. I'm just not seeing it...yet.

I've been in and around New Haven and Bridgeport longer and have seen both dive to lower lows, but both have improved markedly since hitting bottom--especially New Haven.

Reaction Score
So what your saying is that any market that doesn't sell out for a sub par team doesn't deserve a team?

You're putting words in my mouth.

Hartford didn't support the Whalers. The NHL obviously shares that sentiment and has had no interest whatsoever in relocating another team here.

Reaction Score
Hartford is on the rise. That's why Morton's just closed. The attempt at a downtown grocery store was an abysmal failure and there are no immediate plans for another attempt at that. Oh, and the new movie theater on Front Street is already on Groupon trying to drum up ticket sales. Like 8893 said....deja vu all over again with this nonsense.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Hartford is on the rise. That's why Morton's just closed. The attempt at a downtown grocery store was an abysmal failure and there are no immediate plans for another attempt at that. Oh, and the new movie theater on Front Street is already on Groupon trying to drum up ticket sales. Like 8893 said....deja vu all over again with this nonsense.

You cherry pick one restaurant while ignoring the others that have opened and been successful: front street theater, capital grille (which put morton's out), nix's, bears, salute, montana grille, infinity hall and sorella's.

Reaction Score
Deepster said:

There's a shoprite going in next to ballpark

Reaction Score
WestHartHusk said:
You cherry pick one restaurant while ignoring the others that have opened and been successful: front street theater, capital grille (which put morton's out), nix's, bears, salute, montana grille, infinity hall and sorella's.

How awesome is Bear's, right? I honestly haven't had a better BBQ in too many other places.

Reaction Score

Hartford didn't support the Whalers. The NHL obviously shares that sentiment and has had no interest whatsoever in relocating another team here.
They supported them about as well as you can "reasonably" expect them to. The Whale was awful for the vast majority of their existence here.
Why do you continue to refuse to acknowledge that fact? Because it hurts your argument about an NHL team having no shot here?
The one thing the NHl has made clear regarding Hartford is that is has no shot with it's EXISTING arena

Reaction Score
People in CT. have always had a piss-poor attitude about the state and especially the cities. Sure Hartford and New Haven will never be Boston or Philly but they can certainly be Providence or other similar sized cities. It doesn't help whenever any sort of project or good news for the city is bandied about and a majority of the citizens go crazy about what a disaster it will be and Hartford should be abandoned. Sure CT. cities have their bad parts but so does every city in America. The thing that crushes CT. cities is that there are not enough fun things to do, entertainment options, housing for young people. This attitude that Hartford and New Haven are like Baghdad and no sane person should ever walk the streets is just ridiculous. Young people want to live in cities and increasingly older people do as well. New Haven seems to have finally turned the corner and is attracting more young professionals and I think Hartford is finally making some of the proper steps to do the same. For a small city Hartford actually offers a lot, Infinity Hall and the other additions at Front street are nice, the Wadsworth Atheneum is an absolute gem of a museum, the Bushnell is one of the most beautiful theaters I've ever been in, Bushnell Park is beautiful, the new minor league baseball stadium with Hooker Brewery and other housing/entertainment is a nice addition, Hartford Stage is great. I no longer live in CT. but I always remember most everyone I know saying there is nothing to do in Hartford and that simply isn't true. If you live close to Hartford and never take advantage of the cultural offerings, you are simply a fool.

Reaction Score
Morton's closed because Capital Grille is a far superior steakhouse. Are you serious with your Groupon comment? I have no clue how the movie theater is doing but advertising Groupon certainly doesn't mean it's doing poorly or going out of business. As pointed out, a Supermarket is going to be built by the new baseball stadium.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
People in CT. have always had a piss-poor attitude about the state and especially the cities. Sure Hartford and New Haven will never be Boston or Philly but they can certainly be Providence or other similar sized cities. It doesn't help whenever any sort of project or good news for the city is bandied about and a majority of the citizens go crazy about what a disaster it will be and Hartford should be abandoned. Sure CT. cities have their bad parts but so does every city in America. The thing that crushes CT. cities is that there are not enough fun things to do, entertainment options, housing for young people. This attitude that Hartford and New Haven are like Baghdad and no sane person should ever walk the streets is just ridiculous. Young people want to live in cities and increasingly older people do as well.

Well that's quite a generalization there. I don't know anyone who bunches New Haven with Hartford. As I and others have pointed out, New Haven has a pulse. And Yale. Two huge differences.

New Haven seems to have finally turned the corner and is attracting more young professionals and I think Hartford is finally making some of the proper steps to do the same. For a small city Hartford actually offers a lot, Infinity Hall and the other additions at Front street are nice, the Wadsworth Atheneum is an absolute gem of a museum, the Bushnell is one of the most beautiful theaters I've ever been in, Bushnell Park is beautiful, the new minor league baseball stadium with Hooker Brewery and other housing/entertainment is a nice addition, Hartford Stage is great. I no longer live in CT. but I always remember most everyone I know saying there is nothing to do in Hartford and that simply isn't true. If you live close to Hartford and never take advantage of the cultural offerings, you are simply a fool.

I agree with you about those offerings, but they simply do not bring enough people out and about in Hartford. I've been to the Infinity and it and the Front Street improvements are very nice. They are also sterile and mostly empty when I have been there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I find it funny when people think that negative opinions about the city of Hartford expressed anonymously on a UConn basketball message board are going kill projects like a new XL Center; but no one thinks that endless threads and posts dedicated to how crappy our conference is and how screwed our program is are going to have any effect on potential recruits who we know are actually reading this stuff--some of whom have even cited their chosen school's positive social media as one of the factors that made them choose that school.

So...to recap: Let's talk good about Hartford here and maybe it will change decades of history and negative perception among people who never visit this board; and let's talk bad about our conference and our program because it probably won't have any effect on recruits and families who are known to read this board.

Reaction Score

I'm not putting words in your mouth i'm just summarizing your statements which basically bashes Hartford fan's for doing what every fan base does. They finished above 4th ONCE in their history... Gandhi himself would have been angry at that management.

Reaction Score
mjmoney23 said:
I think another aspect of attendance at Uconn games in Hartford is the trashy facilities themselves. I have never been in a place with as bad of sight lines at the xl center. I remember going to a Uconn Syracuse game when Rudy gay was playing. We had sears in row dd. It was almost impossible to see the court. I have had a better view in the last row of giants stadium. If you are more than one third of the way up in the upper level you might as well stay home. Xl rivals the old New Haven Coliseum and Nassau Coliseum as the biggest dumps I have been too. And for the record I do have season tickets to Hartford.

That's why I mandate center court tickets on the aisle. Otherwise the angles are awful.

Reaction Score
I find it funny when people think that negative opinions about the city of Hartford expressed anonymously on a UConn basketball message board are going kill projects like a new XL Center; but no one thinks that endless threads and posts dedicated to how crappy our conference is and how screwed our program is are going to have any effect on potential recruits who we know are actually reading this stuff--some of whom have even cited their chosen school's positive social media as one of the factors that made them choose that school.

So...to recap: Let's talk good about Hartford here and maybe it will change decades of history and negative perception among people who never visit this board; and let's talk bad about our conference and our program because it probably won't have any effect on recruits and families who are known to read this board.

"Hey a guy who calls himself Fartman doesn't like the AAC, Sorry Billy you aren't playing for Coach Ollie now!"

I'm sure this happens ALLLLL the time...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How about: "Wow, even UConn's own most loyal fans hate their conference and think that the men's basketball program is in an irreversible downward spiral into irrelevance. You certainly don't get that feeling from [VCU, Maryland, Wisconsin, UNLV, etc., etc.] fans. Doesn't seem like a very happy place to play."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As someone else pointed out (maybe Waquoit), Whalers ownership never counted the suites/Coliseum Club as part of attendance, so our numbers were also lower than they should have been.

Does UConn? I am 99% sure they don't control the tickets unless something changed recently.

Reaction Score
If you compare present-day NHL attendances to those in the 1980's - 1990's your argument is invalid from the get go. No revenue sharing existed back in the days of the Whalers existence (this incentivises padding attendances figures), look at Florida, Carolina, Phoenix and you'll see their attendances are fudged to the max. The Whale never did such and in fact as was pointed out in this thread our #'s were artificially lowered to help assist them out of Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom