New schools to the Big Ten | The Boneyard

New schools to the Big Ten

Reaction Score
I am really curious to see what happens with their new additions next year. None of them play the typical Big Ten style. I wonder if the officiating will adapt to their style or if the teams will be hindered by the more strict interpretation of some rules and greater tolerance for others that seems apparent whenever I watch Big Ten play. I think the worst possible outcome would be if the more west coast based officials call one style while the midwestern officials call another, but however it plays out will likely have major implications for the Big Ten race and, indirectly, the postseason,

Reaction Score
The same rules apply to every conferences, what matters is the way the refs go ...

Reaction Score
I can't wait!! I am looking forward to seeing Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA at the Barn or at Crisler Arena aka Crisler Center. I think everyone will adapt. The first few Big Ten games might look a little iffy but in time, everyone will adapt.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What exactly is the Big 10 style vs. the Pac 12 style? If you're thinking the Westerners are used to finesse and a "gentler" style of basketball, you're gonna be surprised. That line of thinking is outdated by a decade or so.

Reaction Score
I can't wait!! I am looking forward to seeing Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA at the Barn or at Crisler Arena aka Crisler Center. I think everyone will adapt. The first few Big Ten games might look a little iffy but in time, everyone will adapt.
The BIG will also be interesting next year because 2024 might be the end of an offensive era in the BIG. Since 2010, there are 198 team years in the BIG, and the 4 Caitlin Clark teams, the last 2 Mackenzie Holmes teams, and this year's OSU and MSU are 8 of the top 13 teams during that 15-year period in terms of offensive efficiency. Just as the PAC-12 transitioned to a more defensive era after the departures of Sabrina and Plum, so too might the BIG next year. A more defensive era might also be good for USC and UCLA. Not sure Close and Gottlieb can manufacture highly efficient offenses.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What exactly is the Big 10 style vs. the Pac 12 style? If you're thinking the Westerners are used to finesse and a "gentler" style of basketball, you're gonna be surprised. That line of thinking is outdated by a decade or so.
I thought he was talking about the ref style, and they are different. My favorite theme, but we came from the old Big East in 2011 out west to Arizona. The difference was shocking. We were out here before the oBE broke up into the American and the current Big East, and before Rutgers went to the B1G.

In my experience, again back then, the Big East officials (many of whom are still around and in the B1G among other conferences) were more likely to call fouls on "scrums" and more likely to make calls on physical play under the basket. To me, where fouls are concerned, the PAC is the conference of calling the touch fouls. Or as my wife likes to say - beat them up but don't dare touch their shooting arm. And this was fundamentally different.

That said, I don't think the majority of PAC refs that don't already work some eastern conferences (and there are a few that do) are suddenly going to join the B1G staff. Some, but it is very unlikely that you are going to have any referees that do 100% of their work at the former PAC schools. And many of these referees are used to less travel than is common among the eastern conferences already.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom