New NCAA President Announced | The Boneyard

New NCAA President Announced

Reaction Score
Very interesting. Baker has a really good calm under pressure demeanor. He's been vocally under fire as a Republican president in highly democratic MA for 2 terms, so he's got experience being hated. He was generally well liked and respected though. Also has an MBA and CEO experience of 1,000+ company.

Played basketball at Harvard, so loves ball.

It's a surprisingly inspired choice, but I'm surprised he agreed to do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very interesting. Baker has a really good calm under pressure demeanor. He's been vocally under fire as a Republican president in highly democratic MA for 2 terms, so he's got experience being hated. He was generally well liked and respected though. Also has an MBA and CEO experience of 1,000+ company.

Second for generally well-liked and respected… coming from my liberal daughter that’s high praise.

Reaction Score
He's been vocally under fire as a Republican president in highly democratic MA for 2 terms, so he's got experience being hated.
Another comparison: He has experience being in an executive position that functions more as a prominent voice than a real power broker

Reaction Score

Well he's not exactly hated. He has the highest approval rating of any governor. And he's a Republican in a highly Democratic state. The only person who didn't like him was the former president of the U.S. who called him a RINO (Republican in name only) because he's a moderate Republican and not far right.

I think he'll do a good job. He's a good leader. He's a good guy too. Not a slime bucket like Emmert.

Reaction Score
Well he's not exactly hated. He has the highest approval rating of any governor. And he's a Republican in a highly Democratic state. The only person who didn't like him was the former president of the U.S. who called him a RINO (Republican in name only) because he's a moderate Republican and not far right.

I think he'll do a good job. He's a good leader. He's a good guy too. Not a slime bucket like Emmert.
Yeah that's why I said he was generally well-liked. But he is/was absolutely hated by some on the opposite side of his political spectrum (and really like you said the people on both extremes). Just saying he has experience being a scapegoat and pariah at times (see COVID policies when people were really passionate).

Reaction Score
I live in Massachusetts and Charlie Baker is well liked by most. He is a middle of the road guy so the political extremes tend to not like his policies. And, he is a nice guy and he seems to listen to all sides. Is he always right? No and I think he would agree with me. With all the upheaval going on with college sports, I'm surprised that he is willing to take the job, but I wish hm good luck! And, Charlie, shouldn't there be more P5 schools in New England?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wow this is a surprise. He was a very popular governor, very practical in his approach to most things. Quite moderate. I think he'll be good at this, but I never saw much outward interest in sports from him, so it is certainly unexpected. Hopefully they don't expect him to move to Indiana.

Reaction Score

Don’t you see his being from Massachusetts is clearly a plan by Emmett to make us pay for BC stinking!!!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is an unenviable job for many reasons, but particularly coming in after the sheet show that was Emmert. He sounds like he is more of a consensus builder than a disruptor. That’s normally a good thing, but probably not in this case. We need someone to re-define the NCAA‘s role. At this point they are so inconsistent/ineffective in policing in the rules are so Byzantine that there discipline/enforcement arm probably needs to be completely rethought.

Basically, I think he will be a caretaker until the P5 decides to break off from the NCAA. He’s probably as good as anyone at that position.

Reaction Score
That's what I thought as well -- very surprised he'd agree to it. But him, his wife, and two of his kids were all college athletes. Also a Mass resident -- he's very well liked as well, did a great job during COVID I thought (compared to his counterparts in neighboring states cough NY cough RI) but I think this is a slam dunk hire by the NCAA, which is an impressive statement to put in writing.

Reaction Score
Wow this is a surprise. He was a very popular governor, very practical in his approach to most things. Quite moderate. I think he'll be good at this, but I never saw much outward interest in sports from him, so it is certainly unexpected. Hopefully they don't expect him to move to Indiana.

Seems like a smart hire and, frankly, a pretty cushy gig for Baker. I liken it to a politician taking a job as the president of a university. All things considered, getting paid a couple million bucks a year to be essentially a figurehead at the top of an organization like this doesn't seem that bad.

Reaction Score
Charlie Baker is one of the few good ones along with Ned, now Ned make sure your boy Charlie gets us a seat at the table...

Governor Lamont Statement on Appointment of Governor Baker as President of the NCAA

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seems like a smart hire and, frankly, a pretty cushy gig for Baker. I liken it to a politician taking a job as the president of a university. All things considered, getting paid a couple million bucks a year to be essentially a figurehead at the top of an organization like this doesn't seem that bad.
Sure. Unless they expect you to move from Swampscott to Indiana. It's not like Charlie needs the money.

Reaction Score
Charlie Baker is one of the few good ones along with Ned, now Ned make sure your boy Charlie gets us a seat at the table...

Governor Lamont Statement on Appointment of Governor Baker as President of the NCAA
Why is Lamont releasing a statement about Baker? Does he always comment on things that have nothing to do with him?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Ned is considering presidential run. Depends on Biden’s decision. Ned is joes favorite governor in country so Ned will stay out of way. But point being ( and I don’t want to get into politics here and get banned) Ned Lamont is a player and people on both sides of aisle like him. Kind of like Baker is my overarching point, whom I respect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom