New Mexico State Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

New Mexico State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn just had an off night. A lot of that had to with a very good New Mexico State team and a Player Allen we just didn’t have an answer for. So you tip your hat to New Mexico State and get ready for next year.
I suspect UConn will take a few step back next year. It should be a young team that will need to find scorers to replace Cole and Martin. It should be fun watching the team develop over the season. Hopefully Hawkins can put some muscle on, work on ball handling and shooting in the off season so that we can count on him to consistently contribute 6-8 points a game next year.

Reaction Score
UConn just had an off night. A lot of that had to with a very good New Mexico State team and a Player Allen we just didn’t have an answer for. So you tip your hat to New Mexico State and get ready for next year.
I suspect UConn will take a few step back next year. It should be a young team that will need to find scorers to replace Cole and Martin. It should be fun watching the team develop over the season. Hopefully Hawkins can put some muscle on, work on ball handling and shooting in the off season so that we can count on him to consistently contribute 6-8 points a game next year.
Ya have a night off in mid season, maybe. Not on your only second trip to the big dance in oh so many years....

Reaction Score
Yeah the other guys were not looking to shoot LOL. They made 7-10 threes. They were all ready and looking to shoot.
The other guys had 33 pts Allen had 37 pts by himself. The other guys took 26 shots while Allen took 24 by himself. McNair, mccants and McKinney scored 11 pts on 9 shots while it was clear It was clear Allen wasn’t looking to pass once he went to oneon one mode. the help defenders were not shading enough towards him when the ball was in his hands. you force the other guys to beat you and not let one player do it. this isn’t the first time this has happene, remember Richmond?

Reaction Score
I hope he is doubling that next year or we got damaged goods as he was already averaging about 6 Pts. this year. He can definitely up his averages if he gets stronger and improves his ball handling. He plays great d, rebounds and can shoot already. Has great athletic talent too.

Reaction Score
I have no comment on the game, but I am disappointed at the number of times I read that Allen scored "almost" or "nearly" half of NMSU's points.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe replace Hurley this month!
Fire him now!!!
Maybe UConn should never have gone back to the so called Big East
"Thank you for your loyalty to Connecticut basketball."
Directional school beats us.
Even if one accepts "new" as a direction, there's something a little 'off' here.
That kid was unreal…he started out 0-6. Wow.
His 'slow' start was actually trolling more masterful than the many attempts on display in this thread. Like a pool hustler.

Allen's post-game interview definitely had some Scotty P in it.

I'm seeking suggestions for a 5th player to join Teddy Allen, Noah Horchler, Adam Kunkel, and Simas Lukosious on my Greater Hartford Pro-am team, and feeling the loss of Philip Seymour Hoffman.

"Let it rain..."

I have no comment on the game, but I am disappointed at the number of times I read that Allen scored "almost" or "nearly" half of NMSU's points.
"Almost" and "nearly" are technically true, in that only 2 points fewer would be "exactly" half, but practically nobody thinks of it that way, myself included. "More than half" would be no more difficult to write, fully accurate, and a whole lot clearer, so I agree with your point.

FINAL THOUGHTS (for now):

As with last year, the roster looked like one that could win games in upwards of a dozen different ways, so each losing game had several 'if only' scenarios. That brings to mind the Auburn game when I txted my sister, "It feels like either team could win or lose by 20, or it could be a close game up until the end."

This was always going to be a major growth year for our Head Coach, with DH bumping up against his own growing edges, and always having another hurdle in every dimension of his job. Once again, the team fell short, and it looked & feels bad.

Due to COVID and moving to the Big East, I shifted my pre-season expectations to align more with a "complete rebuild" Year 3 than Year 4, so I had more room throughout the season to absorb the things that made me scream at the TV. Still, I thought that Sweet 16 wasn't unreasonable, better was imaginable, and performing to Seeding was not too much to ask for.

The loss of Hawkins shaved off some of the error-margin/headroom to earn a 4 seed, and it's telling that we entered the Tourney as the top 5-seed, with Arkansas the lowest 4-seed.

Even with the raw numbers on NMSU's 3-point & FT shooting, there were seemingly multiple paths to a victory yesterday. I didn't want the season to end with an 'embarrassing' loss, and there are certainly a number of ways to regard yesterday's outcome as exactly that.

I really would have liked seeing this team put it together. In terms of the program's arc, next year I will be wanting more: BET bye, NCAA bid, (both with favorable seeding), and winning the first weekend's 4-team tournament. And yet, I do not know if the hurdle of a less veteran team will be too much. We shall see...

PS - There are those on this forum, through other social media, and within money-driven interests who will take pleasure and seek to profit from yesterday's outcome. It's the product of our having become relevant enough again to have detractors & instigators. They are mostly jerks.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Just drove back from Buffalo. I want a refund - for the season. Excuses are for kids. We got outplayed and outcoached. Again. Don't blame the kids,they did the best they could with what they were given.

Reaction Score
How's your boy Nate Oats doing today?
???? They lost arguably their best player 4 mins into the game…..against KenPom 39.

Danny has his full compliment of players and loses (pretty handily) to KenPom 75.

Please tho- keep loving mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't count on it. AG II. Need to hit the transfer portal hard.

Reaction Score
???? They lost arguably their best player 4 mins into the game…..against KenPom 39.

Danny has his full compliment of players and loses (pretty handily) to KenPom 75.

Please tho- keep loving mediocrity.
They also gave Gonzaga one of their 3 losses on the season and beat Baylor and Tennessee all while having the toughest schedule in the country according to KenPom. Oats is a hell of a coach and I would take him over DH without a doubt.

Reaction Score
They also gave Gonzaga one of their 3 losses on the season and beat Baylor and Tennessee all while having the toughest schedule in the country according to KenPom. Oats is a hell of a coach and I would take him over DH without a doubt.

And lost to Mississippi State and Georgia and Iona and Missouri and Davidson and had a worse seed than Connecticut. And this is where the all-knowing basketball guru from Chicago chimes in to say it's an insult to the great Nate Oates to be mentioned in the same sentence with Hurley.

Shame on me for responding to some clown who's not going to post again for another year after this week but what can you do.

Reaction Score
And lost to Mississippi State and Georgia and Iona and Missouri and Davidson and had a worse seed than Connecticut. And this is where the all-knowing basketball guru from Chicago chimes in to say it's an insult to the great Nate Oates to be mentioned in the same sentence with Hurley.

Shame on me for responding to some clown who's not going to post again for another year after this week but what can you do.
Nate Oats has taken 5 teams to the tournament in 7 years of being a head coach. He took a bottom feeder SEC team and brought them to the Sweet 16 in his 2nd year, while capturing SEC coach of the year.

The Hurley blinders are crraazzy.

Oats wanted the UConn job when KO was fired too.

Reaction Score
Nate Oats has taken 5 teams to the tournament in 7 years of being a head coach. He took a bottom feeder SEC team and brought them to the Sweet 16 in his 2nd year, while capturing SEC coach of the year.

Did not know that.

Reaction Score

And just got pounded in the first round by the play in winner. Those aren’t blinders, herb, those are just facts. The tournament is hard. Two fluke runs have caused some members of this fan base to forget that.

Reaction Score
And just got pounded in the first round by the play in winner. Those aren’t blinders, herb, those are just facts. The tournament is hard. Two fluke runs have caused some members of this fan base to forget that.
His best player got hurt 4 mins into the game and didn’t return. That’s like if that happening to Cole last night for us (and Quinerly is a hell of a lot better than Cole). Plus the play in winner was KenPom 39. Our coach got wiped by KenPom 75.

Herb? How old are you man?

Reaction Score
He did, but to be fair they lost Quinerly very early in the game-that needs to be mentioned. I am happy with having Hurley And I think he will improve.

Reaction Score
He did, but to be fair they lost Quinerly very early in the game-that needs to be mentioned. I am happy with having Hurley And I think he will improve.
They were losing that game whether he was in or out, that was the most predictable 11 over 6 "upset" ever

Reaction Score
I think Benedict hired a man in Hurley who could be a better coach than Ollie could ever hope to be. Hurley might suck right now as a game coach but he’ll learn, he’s a good recruiter right now and a good teacher of the game, maybe something he inherited from watching his father all those years. People forget that Hurley is at a point in his life now where Calhoun was 30 years ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ve been critical of Hurley for being inflexible and predictable. He is. But let’s be honest. NMSU played one of the greatest games in tournament history and we still had a chance. They were absolutely unconscious while playing great D and hitting the boards. It was like what Villanova did to upset Georgetown. And while Allen went crazy, he did because the other guys all shot far better then normal as well. If we double him they made us pay.

Reaction Score
Nate Oats and Musselman are both better coaches than Hurley. Their achievements at Alabama and Arkansas have shown that.

These were 2 nothing Power conference teams for a long time, and they changed them around in 1 year, and the talent level they are bringing in is high.

Notre Dame has an NBA player on its team in Blake Wesley, a solid big man down low, and a team full of knock-down shooters from the perimeter.

The fact that they were the play-in team does not equal they were a terribly talented team. Notre Dame would have beaten us too.

PS: The fact is Nate Oats and Eric Musselman have done more than Hurley and faster at 2 nothing power conference programs

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Hurley is a good coach. Does he make questionable decisions in late game situations? Yes, but he’s learning & mistakes will improve with time. Disappointing end to the season, but we will have better seasons ahead in his tenure.

I know he’s a bit of an afterthought, but I do believe having a secondary shooter/slasher would’ve been a game changer on Tuesday. Shame he couldn’t play, but happy the staff is prioritizing his well-being.

Like investing, as fans we should think long term. We must cement a pg for next season asap (Cole, Diggins, Jackson, transfer), develop the young guys with potential & put this season behind us. No silly number shirts, or pre-season mantras. Just grit, grind & leave the work on the court.

Reaction Score
Nate Oats and Musselman are both better coaches than Hurley. Their achievements at Alabama and Arkansas have shown that.

These were 2 nothing Power conference teams for a long time, and they changed them around in 1 year, and the talent level they are bringing in is high.

Notre Dame has an NBA player on its team in Blake Wesley, a solid big man down low, and a team full of knock-down shooters from the perimeter.

The fact that they were the play-in team does not equal they were a terribly talented team. Notre Dame would have beaten us too.

PS: The fact is Nate Oats and Eric Musselman have done more than Hurley and faster at 2 nothing power conference programs
Musselman and Oates both have excellent track records at Nevada and Buffalo in addition to the schools they’re at now. Doesn’t mean they’re necessarily better coaches than Hurley at recruiting and teaching the game, time will tell on that score, though they both have more experience at working the refs and general gamesmanship. Musselman IIRC is quite a bit older than Hurley as well. I think Musselman’s biggest problem is training his wife to say the right thing on air, if anyone interviews her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom