New Director of Men’s Basketball Sports Performance | The Boneyard

New Director of Men’s Basketball Sports Performance

Reaction Score
363AB7EA-F2AB-4F5B-A688-03C3F5DCD5CE.jpeg

His bio from Purdue

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Article from back in 2018: How Gavin Roberts helped shape Purdue basketball's size and speed over the summer

"Speed is a premium when it comes to football, and when it comes to the game of basketball right now, 5s can move like guards. It's almost like a positionless sport. To include things like speed development and agility and exploding in and our of cuts and doing all those different things — it doesn't matter what sport you play. At the end of the day it's that athletic development you're going to need."

Reaction Score
Frankly, the job isn't that hard if you're hardworking and your head is screwed on right.

This early in his career, I hope he could be here for 5+ years.

Not a homerun hire, but I like it. We need youth and stability. He brings it.

Just make sure to stay on top of the guys diets, write some solid plans for strength gains and we're all set.

Reaction Score
Glad to have him on board! Sounds like an interesting guy, I like what I’m reading. This is a crucial summer for so many of the players. With regulations relaxing and likely not having any restrictions this summer, the staff desperately needed to have the strength coach in place. They’ve got stability now... looking forward to see what he can do with the players, especially some of the younger guys.

Reaction Score
Frankly, the job isn't that hard if you're hardworking and your head is screwed on right.

This early in his career, I hope he could be here for 5+ years.

Not a homerun hire, but I like it. We need youth and stability. He brings it.

Just make sure to stay on top of the guys diets, write some solid plans for strength gains and we're all set.
Most with education and experience can write and execute programs. The good ones are able to motivate.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Feel pretty good about poaching a guy from the Big Ten, especially a program that's been as successful in recent years as Purdue.
Isn’t he their assistant? Not their head guy.

Reaction Score
Isn’t he their assistant? Not their head guy.
Roberts, 31, comes from Purdue, where he was the head strength and conditioning coach for the men’s basketball team for the past three years.

Reaction Score
Roberts, 31, comes from Purdue, where he was the head strength and conditioning coach for the men’s basketball team for the past three years.

Nice, his title on the Purdue website it assistant

Reaction Score
Yeah this seems like an underrated hire. Young guy from a B10 program decided this was better for his career. Good stuff.

I like it too. Assuming we offered a competitive salary, I'm hoping he can be a guy that stays here for 5 or more years. That consistency is more important than anything right now--Mike was great, but having to overhaul the program again and again in the past few years has probably disrupted some of the gains we'd hope from players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom