New Details on Freeman’s Departure | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New Details on Freeman’s Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Freeman wanted to play the 3 his senior year because he had pro aspirations and was too undersized to be a 4 in NBA of that era, his size dictated he was a swing. He wanted to showcase his skills. it is one of the only times I can remember Calhoun capitulating to a player's wishes at the detriment of the team. Freeman was not a very effective 3 man.

Did Calhoun capitulate? Or did we just not have a better option at the 3?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
His shooting percentage dropped over 10 points when he became a swing man senior year.
so what?
big deal. he already was a national champion. a fundamental, irreplaceable, big east tourney mvp, and ncaa regional all-star, by then.
and whoopty doo, he upped his attempts from 7 to 8 a game. gunner, right?
again, what, exactly, is better than numero uno?
he earned every single opportunity to then succeed or not.
for the last three years, typo clangs 7 a game, with nary a foul shot, rebound, assist, block, or anything else to go along with those bricks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
big east, 1998-1999
True Shooting Percentage
1. kevin freeman
1998-99 Big East Conference Leaders | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
so now KFree couldn't shoot? sum of youse are, well, nutz.
patz. fried green tomatoes. total lying, bs pushers.
what, exactly, is better than numero uno?
What are these stats supposed to prove about his perimeter shooting for a modern day 4 man? He could definitely convert inside shots (too bad it didn't rub off on this past season's team! ?) but I don't remember him being an effective perimeter shooter. And even in his senior year he didn't shoot many threes, attempting less than 1 a game and only shooting 29%. It was a different game back then so just hard to tell if he could be an effective outside/inside 4 in today's game. Just from what we saw you'd have to say he didn't have that kind of perimeter play.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What are these stats supposed to prove about his perimeter shooting for a modern day 4 man? He could definitely convert inside shots (too bad it didn't rub off on this past season's team! ?) but I don't remember him being a perimeter player. And even in his senior year he didn't shoot many threes, attempting less than 1 a game and only shooting 29%. It was a different game back then so just hard to tell if he could be an effective outside/inside 4 in today's game.
mr freeman, now, then, and even in peach basket days, would still be a playa.
cf. his resume. don't forget 'mvp of the albert schweitzer tourney!' lol.
i bet 'momma said knock you out' was on his nursery school playlist.

Reaction Score
mr freeman, now, then, and even in peach basket days, would still be a playa.
cf. his resume. don't forget 'mvp of the albert schweitzer tourney!' lol.
i bet 'momma said knock you out' was on his nursery school playlist.
We're not debating that. Agree with you on this!

Sometimes I wonder how debates get started on the Yard because most of them definitely don't follow any logical progression. ?

Reaction Score
That was my assumption when I read it. I didn't even consider the recruiting/transfer portal angle that others brought up
P
How many of us have lost our tempers after opening a bulging chip bag only to be disappointed by the actual content? I believe that Fishy once killed a man in Reno because of it and has sworn off chips ever since.
i thought it was to watch a man die

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I loved Freeman as a player but he never particularly struck me that he was a good coach. I have nothing to base that on though except for the fact that he was fired by Hurley.

Reaction Score
I loved Freeman as a player but he never particularly struck me that he was a good coach. I have nothing to base that on though except for the fact that he was fired by Hurley

He’s quiet on the sidelines, possibly by design. That leaves some thinking he doesn’t do much. I think he’s probably a pretty good coach. The best coaches have a great work ethic and appreciation for hustle. Kevin always had that. My guess is Dan wants to compete at the highest possible level and Luke Murray came available.

Last edited:

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
He’s quiet on the sidelines, possibly by design. That leaves some thinking he doesn’t do much. I think he’s probably a pretty good coach. The best coaches have a great work ethic and appreciation for hustle. I think Kevin always had that. My guess is Dan wants to compete at the highest possible level and Luke Murray came available.
I like your take. I wish Kevin all the best. Seems like a nice guy and he was a great Husky.

Reaction Score
Mouring could play some 3 at times too, but was more a 2.

He was also already starting at the 2 at that point. Freeman played the 3 because our best lineup was him and Saunders at the forward spots. It would have been better if we'd had a real wing there, but Deng and Wrenn were both total busts at UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
P

i thought it was to watch a man die
No but he also killed a guy who sold him a fake Rolex. Now I think about it, the list is fairly long.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Love that show. The kids in school would reference constantly after the first season came out, and it was really hard for me to pretend like I didn't understand.

And yes, great comparison.
I prefer the hormone monster!!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Duke just got Theo John so they're going for 3 star guys in the portal.
Reminds me of the expression "Be kind to people on the way to the top; they are likely to be the same people you will meet on your way back down"

Reaction Score
I loved Freeman as a player but he never particularly struck me that he was a good coach. I have nothing to base that on though except for the fact that he was fired by Hurley.

I remember someone posting reports on here that he was working with Sanogo every morning. Many on here were attributing Sanogo's growth throughout the season to KF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom