OT: - new camera, new subjects | The Boneyard

OT: new camera, new subjects

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Being 'coronavirus' bound for 3 months now I've even run out of old games to watch. Fortunately, to keep my sanity, I've put video cameras up in the woods connected to our LAN so I could capture the various critters. Several days ago I installed another camera, this time on our deck 2' from our hummingbird feeder. Most of the hummers we see are either grey, green & blue but occasionally we get a Ruby Red. This little guy has become a regular over the last several days.

Ruby Red

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Great video. Hummers are so neat, we see quite a few around the house here in AZ and we just had a nest on a branch outside the kitchen window. It is vacant now, there were at least 2 chick-heads visible while it was occupied, so I'm hoping they successfully flew off.

Reaction Score
My wife goes into a short state of depression every fall when the Hummers leave. When they come back the feeders go out and the flowers go up. She takes her coffee and sets out on the deck in the morning just to watch them come and feed. Gotta admit, they are fascinating.

Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen one in New Jersey...................they are fascinating little creatures...............wish we had them around here..........we do have a nesting pair of bald eagles by the reservoir behind my house which ain't bad.......

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen one in New Jersey...................they are fascinating little creatures...............wish we had them around here..........we do have a nesting pair of bald eagles by the reservoir behind my house which ain't bad.......

Put out a feeder (its just sugar & water) - if you sit next to the feeder after they start coming you can hold a small 'hand held' feeder and they will drink out of it!

Hummingbirds found in New Jersey, USA
Hummingbirds found in the USA (by U.S. State) ... Canada ... Puerto Rico ... Jamaica ... Honduras
Hummingbird Information ... Extreme Metabolism and Survival and Flight Adaptions - Amazing Facts
In New Jersey, the following hummingbirds are most commonly found ...
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Archilochus colubris - Native / Common - Usually arrive in mid to late April (especially around April 19 through 23) and early May - with males usually being the first to show up to stake out their feeding territories. Most leave toward the end of September and October. Males usually depart first, and females and juveniles follow about two weeks later.

Reaction Score
Put out a feeder (its just sugar & water) - if you sit next to the feeder after they start coming you can hold a small 'hand held' feeder and they will drink out of it!

Hummingbirds found in New Jersey, USA
Hummingbirds found in the USA (by U.S. State) ... Canada ... Puerto Rico ... Jamaica ... Honduras
Hummingbird Information ... Extreme Metabolism and Survival and Flight Adaptions - Amazing Facts
In New Jersey, the following hummingbirds are most commonly found ...
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Archilochus colubris - Native / Common - Usually arrive in mid to late April (especially around April 19 through 23) and early May - with males usually being the first to show up to stake out their feeding territories. Most leave toward the end of September and October. Males usually depart first, and females and juveniles follow about two weeks later.

Thanks..........that's exciting to hear.................I'll give it a shot!!

Reaction Score
Being 'coronavirus' bound for 3 months now I've even run out of old games to watch. Fortunately, to keep my sanity, I've put video cameras up in the woods connected to our LAN so I could capture the various critters. Several days ago I installed another camera, this time on our deck 2' from our hummingbird feeder. Most of the hummers we see are either grey, green & blue but occasionally we get a Ruby Red. This little guy has become a regular over the last several days.

Ruby Red
What type of cameras? Wireless? Battery?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
What type of cameras? Wireless? Battery?
It's a Dahua IP POE (power over ethernet, but I an running 12 volts to it).
IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS-S2 Motorized Zoom 2.7~13.5mm - its out to the max 13.5mm

I replaced my simple 'inverted L' feeder holder made of copper tubing (my wife hated the way it looked with this:

1593280700547.png

I bolted an 8' 4X4 to the (now reinforced) deck post and datoed out for the 2 2X3's. The microphone is mounted right on the 4X4. You can barely see a second feeder hanging behind the camera. Now to get a couple of small hanging plants for the other cross piece.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom