Need picks/sleepers for NCAA season records pool | The Boneyard

Need picks/sleepers for NCAA season records pool

Reaction Score
9 person snake draft, cumulative won-loss record everyone picks 8 teams (so 72 total).
I've really got no knowledge after top teams in BE and top-25.

I got 2nd pick, (next #17 & 20) is so question is what teams do I put alongside our Huskies?

Reaction Score
With 17/20 I would love Baylor/Virginia.
Baylor gone early (#12) , debating UVA, Michigan St or Arkansas at 20. Got UCLA at 17.
Hopped on the Muss-bus with the pick.
Michigan St probably had the best chance to win the NCAAs of remaining teams (you get 5 bonus pts for each win in NCAA tourney) but their 3-3 start and relatively same odds as Ark to win it made the Razorbacks more logical.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does it pay to just lean on good mid majors since they will have better win percentages? Like JMU, FAU, Liberty, Colorado State and Portland State?

Reaction Score
Baylor gone early (#12) , debating UVA, Michigan St or Arkansas at 20. Got UCLA at 17.
Hopped on the Muss-bus with the pick.
Michigan St probably had the best chance to win the NCAAs of remaining teams (you get 5 bonus pts for each win in NCAA tourney) but their 3-3 start and relatively same odds as Ark to win it made the Razorbacks more logical.
Razorbacks severely flawed, might miss tournament

Reaction Score
Florida is a tournament team and could do some damage with later pick

Reaction Score
Does it pay to just lean on good mid majors since they will have better win percentages? Like JMU, FAU, Liberty, Colorado State and Portland State?
Yes, in later rounds though since the NCAA wins are so valuable at +5 per win.
Regular season rules are simple +1 win, -1 loss.
So need a combo of good records top-to-bottom and a team or two that makes a big run. Plan with my first 5 picks is go with teams with chance at FF.

So far #2UConn, #17UCLA, #20Arkansas (gulp, thanks Fan1978!?) and now #35Florida.
I was picking Florida regardless b/c my son is a freshman there (2nd choice was Oklahoma, sure enough they went right after I picked FL) and #10 on their team looks like a giant version of him.

I think Drake is my likely next choice - scratch that, went with old friend Jamie Dixon and TCU, we were having a debate this weekend about best mascots & they were honorable (so bad its good) mention.

Last edited:

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Someone on this board thought Capel would turn Pittsburgh around. They are off to a good start

Reaction Score
Actually its been 10yrs since I've done this pool and the rules are either different than I remembered or modified. Luckily I've just now read them after making my first 5 picks ;(
1. +1 wins, -1 losses
2. Regular season 1,2,3 payouts 1st-35%, 2nd-15%,3rd-5%
3. MAKING the NCAA is a bonus for 2nd round pick +5, 3rd+10, 4th+20 etc to 8th+35!!
So obviously picking a team that wins its conference tourney in 8th round is gold.
4. Wins earn bonus pts in NCAA on sliding scale based on round team picked, all escalate by +1 for each successive round of tournament
1st rounders 1,2,3,4,5,6,
2nd rounders 3,4,5,6,7,8
3rd - 5,6,7,etc
4th - 7,8,9 etc
5th - 9,10,11
6th - 11,12
7th - 13,14
8 - 15,16
We are done for the night after 4.5 rounds, now that I've read the rules I think I either keep picking teams from major conferences or get busy scouting teams bound to dominate and be #14-16 seeds. I.e. grab Grand Canyon or hold nose & take a flier on Slick Rick?!

Reaction Score
Once the top like 32 teams are gone (teams with good chances of winning a tournament game), I'd lean into the mid majors who will get gaudy win/loss records and very likely to make NCAAs, especially those with a puncher's chance of an upset. Avoid competitive conferences like the MWC or Ivy. Bonus if they've started well W/L already obviously.

James Madison, Liberty, UNC Greensboro, Weber St, UC Irvine, Colgate, Grand Canyon, Iona, McNeese St, SDSU, UMass Lowell/Vermont, Sacred Heart, Howard

Reaction Score
Once the top like 32 teams are gone (teams with good chances of winning a tournament game), I'd lean into the mid majors who will get gaudy win/loss records and very likely to make NCAAs, especially those with a puncher's chance of an upset. Avoid competitive conferences like the MWC or Ivy. Bonus if they've started well W/L already obviously.

James Madison, Liberty, UNC Greensboro, Weber St, UC Irvine, Colgate, Grand Canyon, Iona, McNeese St, SDSU, UMass Lowell/Vermont, Sacred Heart, Howard
Picks to date thru 40 below, resumes 6pm tonight. Gone from above are Madison, Liberty & SDSU.
I do like Grand Canyon and probably need to grab them on my next turn but...
12 teams will be picked before I go again.
My white board: Dayton, Grand Canyon, Vermont, Iona for next two. Last pick: St Johns
But looking for teams with seniors esp senior guards.

1701098552487.png

My team so far is UConn, UCLA, Arkansas, Florida & TCU
I think guy picking 8th,9th has good squad so far: Duke, Miami, UVA, USC

Reaction Score
St Marys hasn't been picked yet, that would be a high pick for me if they don't go before your pick.

Reaction Score
I seriously debated St. Mary's was very close to picking them but their 3-3 start scared me and now they lost again last night 3-4. I took Pitt in 6th round, should have taken Grand Canyon as the guy picking bookends after me grabbed them. So I took Iona. and my friend picking right after me coincidentally grabbed St Mary's.
Last pick was tough, debated New Mexico (conf too tough), & UMass Lowell (no chance winning ncaa game) ended up taking UNC-Wilmington.
Here's the draft tail end
1701199733361.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom