OT: - Need advice on Solar Panels | The Boneyard

OT: Need advice on Solar Panels

Reaction Score
I see them popping up on lots of houses, but I'm skeptical about whether they are really worth getting?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I see them popping up on lots of houses, but I'm skeptical about whether they are really worth getting?
My parents got them and they love them. They rent them so they don’t have to worry about maintenance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I looked at them a while back and even with a subsidy ROI is like 20 years out. I'd be glad to wrong on that though as my back of my house faces south by southwest , which I'd imagine is just about perfect.

Reaction Score
It's a lot of nails in your roof, I would imagine.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Go to energysage.com as a source of high quality and trustworthy information. If you have a sufficiently large expanse of unshaded south-facing roof, you could be producing enough electricity to include air conditioning for nearly net-positive cost compared with your current utility bill...which itself will only go up over 20 years and make the savings larger. Such a capital improvement can be reflected in the resale value of your home, if you are not there for the long haul. Government incentives in the form of tax breaks and subsidized financing affects the particulars and may have changed in the past year. Tariffs possibly too. I don't know where things stand right now. That's part of where Energy Sage is most helpful.

Reaction Score
I have them. Financed them. My electric bill was, 225 to 275 range. My loan now for just the panels would have been 178.00 for 10 years. So that's a savings right there. I pay 9 bucks a month to the electric company as you always have to pay to be connected to the grid. I would advise to interview several companies, best deal for me was a local company that got me 0.99 financing. If at some point you're interested further I can PM you the name and number of the guy from the company I used.

As far as panels the top 3 rated panels were 1. Sun Power 2. Panasonic .3 LG.

Good place to start:

10 Pros and Cons of Solar Energy in 2018 | EnergySage

Reaction Score
Have had solar panels for 4 years with a no money down 20 year contract w Solar City. 38 panels w 2 inverters. My contract I pay 11 cents a Kw hr which increases 2.9% a year and that’s it for electricity that comes from the panels-NO Delivery charge because obviously you don’t use the power companies lines for this. So instead of paying about 25 cents a Kw-Hr I’m paying 11cents about. The excess is sold back to the power company and results in a credit on my electric bill. No nails in roof-panels are lag bolted into studs. I’ve had a few leaks and SC took immediate care of it inside and out! After 20 years the contract says they pay for a new roof and New tech system. I’m not sure what the deals are today but we’ve been very happy so far. I can buy the system next year if I want ( year 5) and it’s transferable to buyer if I sell.

Reaction Score
I installed my own multi-array 7 years ago. After rebates from state and feds, I’m buying my stuff online (wholesale) my solar investment paid for itself in 2 1/2 years. It also took me a solid weekend to install. Use to have $300/mo electric bill now $0, or I get $ back each month. My panels (like most) are warranted to produce at 88-90% of rated max power for 25 years. That just means, the company warranties the product for its stated capacity for 25 years. Of course the panels will produce power for 40+ years, but maybe at 65-70% power,’when you get past year 30. Anyway you do the math, it’s a slamdunk proposition. It also provides independence and clean energy

If you hire someone, in most states the panels will pay for themselves anywhere from 4-8 years, depending on the state, tax credits etc. But the panels will produce free electricity for up to 40+ years from installation. That’s why companies are doing everything they can to try to get consumers to “lease” their roof to them so they can put their panels on there, in exchange for lowering consumer’s monthly electric bill; since the company realize they can make that much more $ leasing your roof with an easement even after paying all of the cost to install and maintain the panels and the kickback to reduce the consumers electric bill.

Don’t ever lease. Buy, especially if you plan on staying in home more than 5 years.

Reaction Score
I installed my own multi-array 7 years ago. After rebates from state and feds, I’m buying my stuff online (wholesale) my solar investment paid for itself in 2 1/2 years. It also took me a solid weekend to install. Use to have $300/mo electric bill now $0, or I get $ back each month. My panels (like most) are warranted to produce at 88-90% of rated max power for 25 years. That just means, the company warranties the product for its stated capacity for 25 years. Of course the panels will produce power for 40+ years, but maybe at 65-70% power,’when you get past year 30. Anyway you do the math, it’s a slamdunk proposition. It also provides independence and clean energy

If you hire someone, in most states the panels will pay for themselves anywhere from 4-8 years, depending on the state, tax credits etc. But the panels will produce free electricity for up to 40+ years from installation. That’s why companies are doing everything they can to try to get consumers to “lease” their roof to them so they can put their panels on there, in exchange for lowering consumer’s monthly electric bill; since the company realize they can make that much more $ leasing your roof with an easement even after paying all of the cost to install and maintain the panels and the kickback to reduce the consumers electric bill.

Don’t ever lease. Buy, especially if you plan on staying in home more than 5 years.
Wish I would have hired you or someone like you. How much did you spend on your system total if you don't mind me asking. You must have saved half.

Reaction Score
Wish I would have hired you or someone like you. How much did you spend on your system total if you don't mind me asking. You must have saved half.
My system is quite small since I live close to the beach in Southern California which means 70° temperature year-round which means very rare use of AC. So it’s all relative to how much you want to produce versus the return on investment. But I spent approximately $9000 ( after rebates from the federal government via your tax return when you file it, and then the state rebate.). But before rebates, it was closer to $12,000 I want to say in the equipment. But remember if you’re someone who has higher you electrical usage, you scale it up equivalently or down.

Reaction Score
I looked at them a while back and even with a subsidy ROI is like 20 years out. I'd be glad to wrong on that though as my back of my house faces south by southwest , which I'd imagine is just about perfect.
You need to get some more quotes. I’ve done my own installation after getting quotes to have others do it for me and the quotes I had in Southern California was about a 6.5 year return on investment. As mentioned in my post I didn it myself and I had a 2.5 year return on investment. It became sort of a hobby of mine I even started a YouTube channel to show others how to do it like I did it, including the permitting process which is simple in most locales.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You need to get some more quotes. I’ve done my own installation after getting quotes to have others do it for me and the quotes I had in Southern California was about a 6.5 year return on investment. As mentioned in my post I didn it myself and I had a 2.5 year return on investment. It became sort of a hobby of mine I even started a YouTube channel to show others how to do it like I did it, including the permitting process which is simple in most locales.
PM me the link for YouTube channel. I'd be interested in seeing it. I'm rethinking it based upon the results here. I'd be comfortable with the work, but I'm not quite as comfortable on a second story roof anymore. It's getting on and off the ladder that gets me.... :eek: Still do it from time to time though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some cool information here. Unfoturnately, my house faces east - west, with heavy tree cover on the west side. East faces the street, and while it gets good sun I think solar panels would be considered an eye-sore and hurt resale value.

I'm waiting for the solar panels that look like roof tiles. They even heat themselves to melt the snow. Elon Musk is working on them. These Tesla Solar Roof That I would do.

Reaction Score
Previously the state had a bigger tax credit on them so when ‘I got mine plus the federal credit more than half the cost was covered. Put them on a fairly new roof. No leaks. I figured the payback was about 7 years with the credits. My roof is east/west but shallow so the panels produce great.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Nearly every house in my neighborhood has them. 3 or 4 have gotten them in the last couple months. Aesthetically, I’m pretty sure they are all bringing down the value of my house.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
If you’re interested I just signed with Sun Power and I can get you (and me) a referral bonus. DM me if interested. I got quotes from Vivent and another company as well but their deal wasn’t as good.

I have full sun, all day long and it’s a no brainer to lease the panels. My electric bill averages $225-250 a month and I can generate all that for $112 a month on the panels. Like someone else mentioned, I’ll also have a $9/mo fee to Eversource to be connected to the grid.

Also, if you generate excess energy ... your electric company does a yearly audit and will pay you the wholesale rate for it.

Reaction Score
Our electric rates are some of the highest in the country so if your roof is not shaded it makes sense. Was just in Tucson and not so many house solar panels because their electric rates are so cheap, and they also get way more sun. People putting them on carport and parking roofs.

Reaction Score
Nearly every house in my neighborhood has them. 3 or 4 have gotten them in the last couple months. Aesthetically, I’m pretty sure they are all bringing down the value of my house.
I got mine put on the back/west part of part of the house because I didn't like the look. When you look at the front of our house you can't even tell we have them. They're so low profile, you can't even tell from the sides. You have to be half way in our backyard to see them. I needed a few extra panels to have them on the back for the energy output I was looking for.

Reaction Score
I'm waiting for the solar panels that look like roof tiles. They even heat themselves to melt the snow. Elon Musk is working on them. These Tesla Solar Roof That I would do.

They are already available, some five different styles. You'll want solar power for your electric vehicle at some point anyway.

Reaction Score
BTW Solar City is the biggest-a reason I went with them! They’ll be around. ALSO they have partnered with Elon Musk to provide storage batteries for home use I’m told. Plus I guess the panels people are talking about. Yes referral bonuses too

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
OT but kind of related... anyone have conversations with a neighbor about chopping down a giant tree just over in to their property? It would help me generate more solar power (and I don’t like the threat of it ever falling on my house). :)

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
A couple months ago I did a deep dive on this and it’s a bit overwhelming. First...this is a cutthroat business and the salespeople all have their own spin. U need a referral from someone you can trust (that rules out most of the boneyard;)). I was looking for my house in California which is in the desert. Power bills can be insane out there. But so are their rules around solar. For example, Southern California Edison charges you to put power in the grid, and take it out. So overproducing isn’t a good thing. Also...u get billed depending on what time of the day you use the energy. So u have to change your habits a bit if you want to minimize your energy use.

The other thing that made me uncomfortable was the roof. If you need to replace your roof after you put in the panels, you have to pay like 3k to remove them. When u put the panels back on the new roof, you violate your roof warranty.

Also...the technology keeps evolving and signing up for 20 year leases means in 5 years u may have a less efficient system than the new technology and you are stuck with it.

Lastly...it was very expensive to buy. I got two quotes ranging from 45k to 55k. Of course that is with them installing, so if you are handy it wouldn’t be as bad.

I ended up pausing on the decision. Too many variables for me to get comfortable.

Reaction Score
A couple months ago I did a deep dive on this and it’s a bit overwhelming. First...this is a cutthroat business and the salespeople all have their own spin. U need a referral from someone you can trust (that rules out most of the boneyard;)). I was looking for my house in California which is in the desert. Power bills can be insane out there. But so are their rules around solar. For example, Southern California Edison charges you to put power in the grid, and take it out. So overproducing isn’t a good thing. Also...u get billed depending on what time of the day you use the energy. So u have to change your habits a bit if you want to minimize your energy use.

The other thing that made me uncomfortable was the roof. If you need to replace your roof after you put in the panels, you have to pay like 3k to remove them. When u put the panels back on the new roof, you violate your roof warranty.

Also...the technology keeps evolving and signing up for 20 year leases means in 5 years u may have a less efficient system than the new technology and you are stuck with it.

Lastly...it was very expensive to buy. I got two quotes ranging from 45k to 55k. Of course that is with them installing, so if you are handy it wouldn’t be as bad.

I ended up pausing on the decision. Too many variables for me to get comfortable.
That seems way overpriced even for another part of the country. My install was roughly 21k, for 3 arrays totalling 32 panels, to produce 102%, of the energy I was using. Your situation almost sounds like you were being discouraged from signing up. I took my time with it. Started interviewing companies in April and didn't pick someone till late November. It's a huge decision. My cost to take them down is 1k. My roof is about 9 years old so not expecting a replacement anytime soon.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I did a bunch of research a couple years ago and the return for me was something like 12 years. When I did the math of just putting the money into CDs or bonds, even at 2 or 3%, the solar panels wouldn't have paid for themselves over just banking the money for almost 20 years. I live in Southern California with a fantastic roof orientation for solar. The quotes I got were for having enough panel power to cover all the costs of electricity in the summer (lots of AC).

So, I realized I work for a large power company and I went to the solar group to ask about solar panels. I don't know if all places have tiered power costs, but in LA, we have three tiers. The lowest tier is usually much cheaper than you could hope to recover in 50 years by replacing with solar. I was told to size the system to get rid of all my tier 3 and most of my tier 2 power. That would size the system at about 1/2 which starts bringing all those numbers into much better balance.

I never bothered to chart out the cost difference based on that because we're going to sell the house in a couple years, but my advice is if you're buying solar and are in a tiered market, don't bother to size it to produce all your power. Run the numbers both ways and if you're buying, remember to factor in the interest rate of the cash if you just banked it. I think most people neglect this last step and find recovery periods shorter than reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom