Need a Conference, ASAP | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Need a Conference, ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
If UCONN can get into a P5, sure. It will be awfully difficult for a G5 hoops tourney to compete with a P5 hoops tourney. Mammoth programs in mammoth markets with huge appeal are in the P5 tourney. The G5 tourney will be UCONN vs the Field in most years.

HuskyUp time.
Dooley luv your enthusiasm but what are you talking about? There's been NO mention of a P5 or G5 bball tourney... and quite frankly it would be incredibly stupid to do so.... for both parties. No one would watch either with the same fervor that they do with the current tourney. The tourney's lifeblood is the presence of cinderellas, without them, NCAA (along with P5 powers) are ultimately the losers. Do you have any references as to this new splitting of March Madness, or are you just running around telling everyone the sky is fallin again.

Without:
UConn, SDSU, Gtown, VCU, Nova, Marq, Dayton, UNLV, BYU, Zags, Memphis, Cincy, etc etc
The tourney is nothing
Yes, football will change, but bball will be just fine until we find ourselves in a better conference circa 2020.

Reaction Score
This really means nothing to UConn. We can and will adopt any legislation passed by the P5. This really only allows smaller school to not have to follow all D1 legislation.

Do we know what the legislation is? Some provisions had Aresco in an uproar.

Reaction Score
That's how I understand it as well.

And I found this quote interesting:

Dan WolkenVerified account ‏@DanWolken
FWIW, there’s no built-in mechanism for a conference to become a power conference (AAC requested this). But Board of Directors can modify.

Aresco had a long list of complaints.

The way I see it, this whole setup is immediately ready for challenge since it creates impermeable tiers.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
If UConn and say Memphis start paying stipends to basketball players, where is the money coming from? Is the AAC going to kick it in? Will it be up to the institutions? Where would UConn get the cash beyond donations?

I don't think it's too crazy to say we cut some programs that are just leeches to the Athletic Dept. I don't have any specific #'s, but I'm sure doing away with cross country, rowing, tennis, could open up a lot of cash for our recruits, hell most of these programs couldn't exist without the revenue our basketball team brings in... Here's novel idea, why not just funnel mens basketball profits back into the mens basketball team? Problem solved:cool:

Reaction Score
Disagree. The NCAA tournament brings a lot of interest from casual fans who don't give a hoot about Ohio State or Michigan. They want to see upsets. They want to see Cinderellas. I just don't see it happening.
Your disagree is really agreeing. Who will be the upsets? Iona over temple?

Reaction Score
If UCONN can get into a P5, sure. It will be awfully difficult for a G5 hoops tourney to compete with a P5 hoops tourney. Mammoth programs in mammoth markets with huge appeal are in the P5 tourney. The G5 tourney will be UCONN vs the Field in most years.

HuskyUp time.

What you're not accounting for is that the tournament loses a lot of value if they cut down on the number of teams(which will almost assuredly happen if they only have a pool of 64 to begin with). Even if the field is 32, that extra round of games generates a lot of revenue for everybody.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Nah this isn't good. The writing is on the wall and we need to get into a P5 conference. The divide between the two groups is going to be too excessive to compete with.

Reaction Score
Those of you that are minimizing the effect of this are crazy. We have been talking about this for years on the conference realignment board and the predictions are coming true. It won't be immediate but it will eventually kill us. I saw an article today where it mentioned that basketball recruits may eventually choose a Rutgers or Wake Forest over Uconn because they will have financial advantages that we just can't keep up with. If we don't get Into a P5 conference within about 5 years we will be screwed.

Reaction Score
The way I understand it is we (AAC) can adopt Power 5 policies (or not) but can't create any of our own as this privilege is reserved for the Power 5.

The AAC can't adopt any policies that it's member institutions can not afford. So if any of the other schools in your conference can't afford some of the changes, then the whole conference will have to adopt rules that everyone can abide by.

So yes, you need to get the hell out of the AAC and join a power conference.

Reaction Score
The AAC can't adopt any policies that it's member institutions can not afford. So if any of the other schools in your conference can't afford some of the changes, then the whole conference will have to adopt rules that everyone can abide by.

So yes, you need to get the hell out of the AAC and join a power conference.
@KevinRDuffy: Important to note: Outside of COA, Aresco said his "sense is" AAC membership would let individual schools choose on other issues.

But that's no sure thing. Regardless, you're right- UConn needs to get out ASAP.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Guys, I don't know what to tell you. This is going to effect college basketball too. Take this quick Q&A on CBS Sports, for example. This is just one article on one outlet but you can read between the lines. The NCAA Tournament generates billions of dollars LARGELY FROM THE POWER 5 SCHOOLS' MARKET POWER. Do you really think that these greedy commissioners, Presidents, and Athletic Departments would pass up an opportunity to generate BILLIONS of more dollars because of "charm" and cute little Cinderella stories? They didn't care one bit about regional rivalries or traditional football rivalries in forming these Power conferences, they certainly aren't going to care about the Davidsons, Daytons, Butlers, and George Masons if they can make BILLIONS more. It's not a matter of if the P5 will split from the NCAA Tournament, it's a matter of when.

The best recruits are going to go to P5 schools and the small minority of G5 schools that have adopted the new rules. They'll already be able to offer them more benefits/security. But now they'll be able to offer more marketable games on TV to be noticed for the NBA. Yes, the G5 will have some games but the P5 markets and fan bases are HUGE. How long can the small minority G5 schools continue to play by the P5 rules if they make $2M/yr from a lousy TV deal?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-new-division-i-model-giving-power-5-autonomy

"Q: What about NCAA issues that don't fall under autonomy?

Some issues, such as transfer eligibility rules, enforcement and scholarships limits, remain governed by both the Power 5 and the rest of Division I. For those issues, there's weighted voting by a new body called the Council, which becomes the primary legislative arm and largely includes athletic directors, who felt left out of the old system. The Council -- which in "inside baseball" lingo is the old NCAA Leadership and Legislative councils -- consists of 32 conference representatives, four conference commissioners, two athletes and two faculty.

The weighted voting breakdown: 37.5 percent for the Power 5 conferences; 18.8 percent for the five remaining FBS conferences; 37.5 percent for the FCS and non-Division I football conferences; 3.1 percent for college athletes; and 3.1 percent for faculty athletic representatives. It's the first time athletes have a vote. Some Division I members were upset there's weighted voting on issues deemed to be of equal concern to all NCAA schools, but they didn't have much leverage in these negotiations. The smaller schools needed to keep the Power 5 happy because they're subsidized in large part by the NCAA Tournament, which generates billions of dollars largely from the Power 5 schools' market power.

Q: What issues will the Power 5 tackle on their own?

The first big one is a cost of attendance stipend to cover the gap between an athletic scholarship and what financial aid offices determine to be the actual cost of attending college. Other topics could include medical coverage for athletes, time demands on athletes, allowing schools to pay for athletes' families to attend games, loosening the rules on contact between athletes and agents, and putting in dead periods when athletes can't officially workout at their school.

Q: Will new rules create further separation between the haves and have-nots?

It's quite possible. The Power 5 schools will be able to offer benefits to recruits that other schools may feel like they can't afford. But even many of the so-called have-nots acknowledge there's already a significant competitive gap and the best recruits tend to choose those schools anyway. Some critics of the model have complained the Power 5 schools were the ones who led the NCAA down this path by commercializing college sports for so many years.
"

I will keep saying this until it starts to resonate: we all need to Husky Up. That means supporting UCONN the SCHOOL, not specific programs. Football starts in a few weeks. We need the Rent packed all season. We need Yankee Stadium packed in November. We need Gampel and the XL packed all winter. We need to pack the IZOD Center against Duke. We need to buy and wear Husky gear. We need to donate to the school, if you can. We need to spread the UCONN pride all over social media. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as Chicken Little but the sky is falling and our umbrella is only going to be strong enough to last a few years (until the Big East exit fee money dries up). After that, our coaches are fair game for any P5 school or Pro League. I don't want to see Kevin Ollie offered $8M+/yr by a P5 school and blowing us out of the water. I want to see UCONN retain Kevin Ollie at whatever salary it takes for as long as it takes because we enjoy the same TV revenue stream as Rutgers, Penn State, Syracuse, BC, UCLA, USC, Kentucky, etc. It starts NOW. It starts with buying football tickets and rocking the Rent. We can all come here to the 'Yard and complain about how unfair this is OR we can do something about it.

Let's Husky Up.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Right here. Individual school choices = the AAC is not a good home for UCONN. Right about now there should be some very serious conversations taking place about aligning with other like-minded G5 schools to form some sort of an alliance. Fishy is right, it will still be garbage compared to anything that the P5 can offer to the sports fan. But at least it's something. A conference with BYU, UCONN, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Boise, Houston, ECU, etc isn't great, but it's more marketable to TV than what we're currently in. Add some other schools in decent markets and make a go of it. What's the worst thing that can happen? We lose our precious rivalry with Tulsa and make $3M/yr vs $2M/yr? The sky isn't just falling, it's crashing down.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Before you post:
1) Actually read the article about the Vote the NCAA took today (Not a poll)
2) Remind yourself that basketball is pocket change compared to football
3) Think about what happens now that we've declared a separate class of teams that sets their own rules and has a "weightier" vote than the rest of us.

after thinking through items 1-3, feel free to post

Reaction Score

I just don't see a conference voting to give some member schools a major advantage over other member schools. I guess anything could happen, but that seems very unlikely.

The reality is that UConn belongs in a conference like the ACC or the Big 10. I'd trade Boston College for UConn right now, and so would every ACC fan I've talked to. BC is just terrible at everything.

Reaction Score
I just don't see a conference voting to give some member schools a major advantage over other member schools. I guess anything could happen, but that seems very unlikely.

The reality is that UConn belongs in a conference like the ACC or the Big 10. I'd trade Boston College for UConn right now, and so would every ACC fan I've talked to. BC is just terrible at everything.

They have to make new rules then. Creating such rules would announce to everyone that the AAC is a minor conference, which is contrary to what Aresco has been saying. If there're no new rules, then nothing prevents a school from doing what it wants.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="kbd
The reality is that UConn belongs in a conference like the ACC or the Big 10. I'd trade Boston College for UConn right now, and so would every ACC fan I've talked to. BC is just terrible at everything.[/QUOTE]
I have to think the B1G feels the same way about Rutgers

Dooley

Reaction Score

I agree that it would be tough to implement different sets of rules for each conference member. UCONN adopting the P5 rules while half of the league doesn't does absolutely nothing to better the league.

It's not like any of this is a surprise. President Herbst had her response queued up rather quickly. I'm sure there are discussions behind the scenes between the "best of the rest" to see what, if anything, can be done. Something to stop the bleeding until the P5 phone rings.

Reaction Score
I agree that it would be tough to implement different sets of rules for each conference member. UCONN adopting the P5 rules while half of the league doesn't does absolutely nothing to better the league.

It's not like any of this is a surprise. President Herbst had her response queued up rather quickly. I'm sure there are discussions behind the scenes between the "best of the rest" to see what, if anything, can be done. Something to stop the bleeding until the P5 phone rings.
If it keeps UConn, Cincy and co. competing at a high level, it absolutely does better the league. Plus, it could pressure some schools on the fence to make the leap.

Honestly, though, I couldn't give less of a duckk about the other schools in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Can somebody explain to me how, if at all, this might affect Notre Dame? Because if this somehow forces Notre Dame's hand, that opens up a spot in the ACC, right?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think ND still has its special set-up. ACC and independent

Dooley

Reaction Score
Can somebody explain to me how, if at all, this might affect Notre Dame? Because if this somehow forces Notre Dame's hand, that opens up a spot in the ACC, right?

I think autonomy means the P5 conference members AND Notre Dame. Notre Dame's sweetheart deal has now extended from the Big East/ACC to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
2 reasons

1. Big name teams playing each other all season long leads to higher tv ratings. Higher tv ratings leads to more money.

Nick Saban said the following,

Alabama coach Nick Saban said "fans want" Power Five teams playing exclusively Power Five opponents.

"We need to be more concerned about the people who support the programs and the university and come and see the games," Saban said. "Those are the most important. But we never think about that."

2. The Pac-12 plays one more in-conference game than the other conferences. They said the Pac-12 is arguing that since they have the playoff system they want to set up a more balanced schedule which means playing against only other power conference teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom