ND Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ND Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBK

Reaction Score
Last year we lost Paige in the Notre Dame game, this year Azzi. Hopefully her injury is day to day.
There is no reason to play these guys. They abandoned the Big East, there is nothing but bad blood, and the games always turn into "Mosh Pit " basketball.
In this game, it becomes obvious when you have three non shooters on the court at the same time, it becomes impossible for anyone (Lou) to get any looks.
No need to bring up Audrey's play.
Lastly, Amari has shown that she can shoot ( better than Griffin) and really should get more time.
Agreed -
And many of us has been around basketball enough to know Amari has excellent form and shoots the ball really well for a 6’5 player. When CD, Aubrey are way off - I am not sure the harm.
She must be really lazy/ bad in practice.

Reaction Score
My analysis is this: I saw this game and I think that we all watched every weakness that UConn has exposed including what missing key players to injuries will cause. On the upside, a serious learning experience for the Team. And, a good reason for them to dig down and resolve to go forward with a better effort.
This group, with ND's help,
My analysis is this: I saw this game and I think that we all watched every weakness that UConn has exposed including what missing key players to injuries will cause. On the upside, a serious learning experience for the Team. And, a good reason for them to dig down and resolve to go forward with a better effort.
The entire ND Team and their coach created a situation none of Uconn kids would want: A LEARNING TOOL. Each second of that replay shall be sliced and diced and the player associated with that second in time, won't ever do that again. (I hope)

Reaction Score
do you really think ND could have held Azzi down for forty minutes?
I certainly don't! UConn outscored ND in the second half. Azzi playing wouldn't have stretched that out?

I think there is a perception by many that UConn had so many negatives going that Azzi's presence would not have overcome all those negatives. I see UConn enough better than ND that UConn could win an off game. But not an off game plus no Azzi for most of 3/4.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno should of tried Armari a little earlier because we was getting out rebounded and getting torched in the paint. Hopefully he realizes he should start recruiting more bigs. 3 bigs 6'4 and up I suggest
You do realize they have 2 6’4” players injured on the bench don’t you

Reaction Score
Can't disagree with most of your post except it was not an awful loss. All things considered, not awful.
Well, "We had this and that player out" or recovering, times three or more possible starters, among them a player of the year. That might have reduced the losing margin.

Reaction Score
Wish I could have been in those 2nd half huddles. I sense a common theme was...you figure it out. Remember this game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not just one scorer is bad. All three, Azzi, Aubrey and Caroline are bad today. It is a very bad day for Geno.
So if you don't take shots, you are automatically bad? Caroline took 3 shots in 13 minutes, didn't make either but made her 2 FTs. I think her time (or lack of it) was because of a matchup problem or the 28 minutes on Friday were too many. In most cases, I think we know that if Caroline has the shot, it will be on it's way. IMO.

Reaction Score
This week, I posted a comment warning the forum to beware of Notre Dame because of their talent & motivation. I couldn't believe that I received a dozen "dislikes", more than the total I have received the past three seasons!
I wanted to say, "I told you so", but I honestly feel that Azzi's injury prevented UCONN from proving me wrong. Can you imagine Notre Dame playing this game without Olivia Miles??
Olivia Miles was outstanding. It was ND’s day. I know it’s a cliche, but this loss will help UCONN down the road. Except for the injury. Pray that Aziz is okay.

Reaction Score
Yeah they let us have it. Nika was off running the offense, I felt she got discouraged at times but continued to fight. They couldn’t miss and we couldn’t hit anything. Aubrey’s shot is better but not good enough. Nika has a tough time when being attacked by a quick athletic guard. She is caught out of position and ends up fouling. She was on her heels a lot and gave up layups because she needs to back up so much with her foot speed, or they will blow by her. Hopefully with our team healthy we win, but it looks like they may be a bad matchup for us this year.
If they continue to play like today, they are and will be a bad matchup for anybody.

Reaction Score
I do think Dorka would've been huge in this game. Her fight and energy would've been great against their front line. And when Miles got into the lane, her length would've been huge.
Also, given how Azzi's played all year, I do think she probably would've been able to get into a rhythm offensively at some point in the game, but the face guarding thing, which I'm sure she probably saw a lot in high schools, is something that she'll have to be prepared for. Citron is a studd and she pretty much didn't let Azzi get any open looks Tbh it gave me flashbacks of Paige against Arizona in the tournament.
I am Miles least of fans. BUT, there were times, when needed, when she appeared to be shooting 100 percent and making exceptional dishes. Citron, isn't an unknown. She gave Uconn problems for ---seems like 3 years. Westbled, hasn't always been a favorite of ND coaches, she too isn't unknown. If you hear ND and Maybre (phonetically) think 3 ball shooter.

Reaction Score
Amari makes 2 shots and is now around 2 for 15 for her career from 3 and it's "put her in more"...?

The bottom line is we knew this would be a tough game but we also know that if played again we probably win. Dorka would have helped a lot in the paint. Azzi was going to score some and wear down their defense as well. With Dorka out though we should have expected problems in the paint. Nika doesn't get 15 assists when players don't knock down 3 point shots all day long from open looks. What a surprise. The team is not perfect but what team is. I predicted a Notre Dame win but I thought it would be close. I thought we'd lose the battle of the bigs but would still shoot pretty well from outside and get at least something from the break. We didn't.

Geno seemed to know he would need Caroline today. He seems to always know which is such a good sign for his coaching acumen. He also probably knew she was not ready. He knows his situation. He really needs Caroline for a NC level team and he may not get her. I'm maybe Caroline's biggest fan here. I don't think it's being out of shape but I'm hoping it's just getting the muscles back from being unused for so long. A hip surguery means no running for a while right? I'm hoping that's it's just muscular but somehow I sense that it isn't. I'm sincerely concerned about her health. She reminds me of post concussion issues but I'm by no means a doctor. It could just be being out of shape and not as sharp as she was last year.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
If they continue to play like today, they are and will be a bad matchup for anybody.
And if play we like we did with Azzi in the lineup (and Dorka), we will be a bad matchup for anybody. Especially with the continuing improvement by Ayanna.

Reaction Score
What I really didn't like was the way ND intimidated UConn. IMO there is no other word for it, instead of imposing their will on ND as they did on the previous 6 opponents the Huskies played the Irish timid & reactive for the entire first half.
And I don't want to hear any nonsense about the officiating, we all know the home team gets home cooking. UConn gets away with stuff at Gampel/XL that they get called for anywhere else. South Bend is no different in that respect.

Reaction Score
What I really didn't like was the way ND intimidated UConn. IMO there is no other word for it, instead of imposing their will on ND as they did on the previous 6 opponents the Huskies played the Irish timid & reactive for the entire first half.
And I don't want to hear any nonsense about the officiating, we all know the home team gets home cooking. UConn gets away with stuff at Gampel/XL that they get called for anywhere else. South Bend is no different in that respect.
Seems like yours is one if the few pists mentioning the refs

Reaction Score
This was a beat down. Dorka was missed today. Too many big bodies to handle. AE fought from beginning to end but got little help. I have no problem with Aubrey continuing to shoot from the outside. NDs defense was tough and open shots were hard to get. I know this isn’t a popular position but if this team was at totally full strength, Caroline would be about # 10 and would get little playing time. Sorry to say, it would be earned.

Glad to see Amari knock down a couple of 3s but in a game like today’s when you need all the help you can get in the paint a 6’5” player taking 3s is next to useless.

Patterson seems to be improving with each game. Today showed us that the improvement must continue. Tourney time will have us coming up against other physically dominate teams she will be needed.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
This was a beat down. Dorka was missed today. Too many big bodies to handle. AE fought from beginning to end but got little help. I have no problem with Aubrey continuing to shoot from the outside. NDs defense was tough and open shots were hard to get. I know this isn’t a popular position but if this team was at totally full strength, Caroline would be about # 10 and would get little playing time. Sorry to say, it would be earned.

Glad to see Amari knock down a couple of 3s but in a game like today’s when you need all the help you can get in the paint a 6’5” player taking 3s is next to useless.

Patterson seems to be improving with each game. Today showed us that the improvement must continue. Tourney time will have us coming up against other physically dominate teams she will be needed.
You are stating an oxymoron. Caroline is not at full strength!!!! Because if she was, then your playing time statement would be wrong on so many levels.

JBK

Reaction Score
Amari makes 2 shots and is now around 2 for 15 for her career from 3 and it's "put her in more"...?

The bottom line is we knew this would be a tough game but we also know that if played again we probably win. Dorka would have helped a lot in the paint. Azzi was going to score some and wear down their defense as well. With Dorka out though we should have expected problems in the paint. Nika doesn't get 15 assists when players don't knock down 3 point shots all day long from open looks. What a surprise. The team is not perfect but what team is. I predicted a Notre Dame win but I thought it would be close. I thought we'd lose the battle of the bigs but would still shoot pretty well from outside and get at least something from the break. We didn't.

Geno seemed to know he would need Caroline today. He seems to always know which is such a good sign for his coaching acumen. He also probably knew she was not ready. He knows his situation. He really needs Caroline for a NC level team and he may not get her. I'm maybe Caroline's biggest fan here. I don't think it's being out of shape but I'm hoping it's just getting the muscles back from being unused for so long. A hip surguery means no running for a while right? I'm hoping that's it's just muscular but somehow I sense that it isn't. I'm sincerely concerned about her health. She reminds me of post concussion issues but I'm by no means a doctor. It could just be being out of shape and not as sharp as she was last year.
Other than Azzi, Amari’s shooting form is one of the best on the team.
It is terrible to say that we would like to see her play a bit more.
She was
— One of the top recruits in country
—. 6’5
— men practice players say she has the greatest potential
— we are getting out rebounded by 13 and their size is killing us
—-2 players cannot hit any shots.
She is rested and healthy.
Why not —

Reaction Score
Griffen "took those shots" because she was open and other players were not, and she's been practicing those shots (but not under duress). She needs more practice shots to get confidence in them, so that she can feast on the opportunities defenses provide and become an All American.
Agree but ND defense did push Edward and Griffen out a few feet further than they normally shoot. Surprised that this made a difference, but both shot poorly from outside.

Reaction Score
Lala post, you don't think it matters when you lose your best player and leading scorer??? Please send me some of the stuff you're are smoking...
Nothing but an excuse. If that had been ND and UConn won the game, you wouldn't even mention it. You'd be celebrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom