ND coach meltdown | The Boneyard

ND coach meltdown

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This was the first play after halftime vs. Clemson.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from (a) expert lip-readers and (b) armchair psychologists :cool:

Reaction Score
Damn, that is one strong reaction. Seriously, she looks like she's going to cry. They have what about 18 games left, not sure she will be able to handle it emotionally.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Hmm, IMHO, that's like a 3 out of 10 on the Mulkey Scale. I think *I've* reacted more emotionally to a Stanford player's bone-headed play resulting in a questionable charge call while sitting in my living room...

...On the other hand, not in a game where we have half the score of the 4-8 Clemson team we're facing. At that point, the TV would be off and I'd be finding whatever watering hole @triaddukefan will be spending most of this season at...

Reaction Score
3ktzu5.jpg

Plebe

Reaction Score
This wouldn’t be seen as anything unusual if it were Mulkey.
1. But it's not Mulkey. It's a coach whose sideline demeanor is usually very controlled, not histrionic.
2. Mulkey blowing up and crying at the refs? Sure, all the time (although seemingly a bit less so in the last couple years). But with her players, sure she'll stomp and holler and gesticulate ... but that's not the same as this teary-eyed hyperventilation imo.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My analysis

I do not think she was upset at Peoples on that play but more on the ref's call. I think her psychology was like

God, we are already down 35-17 in front of our own fans and they call that weak foul on one of my only productive players. If they make calls like that, then call it on SB who plays better from the bench anyway. :oops: (Not proud for saying that)

Don't the ref's want to be part of a close competitive game. Where is my 4 leaf clover? Damn Geno. (and Paige) ;)

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perhaps she is dehydrated? I’ve heard that water is not the best way to keep hydrated.

Reaction Score
I was on "The Bench" and for a moment I thought I was reading about Holly and TN. ND fans are truly concerned with the actions of MM.
Which is odd, because you will also find that ND fans truly believe the only difference between them and UConn is the recruiting. Geno is the better recruiter, and Muffet the better coach they say. Muffet is a ticking time bomb in my opinion. She's going to have a Fukushima level meltdown because she doesn't appear to have much of a stress relief valve. Perhaps there is something going on in her personal life adding to it who knows. We can only pray that Muffet will seek the proper help and counsel she needs before it really takes a toll on her mental health and the program.

Plebe

Reaction Score
My analysis

I do not think she was upset at Peoples on that play but more on the ref's call. I think her psychology was like

God, we are already down 35-17 in front of our own fans and they call that weak foul on one of my only productive players. If they make calls like that, then call it on SB who plays better from the bench anyway. :oops: (Not proud for saying that)

Don't the ref's want to be part of a close competitive game. Where is my 4 leaf clover? Damn Geno. (and Paige) ;)
I am fairly certain she was upset at her players (I'm not sure which ones). First of all, none of her words or body language is directed toward any of the officials. Second, at the 0:37 mark of the clip my amateur lip-reading analysis has yielded: "I [or we] just [BLEEP] said that!" Meaning, they had just talked at halftime about how they would attack the zone defense and she was distraught that her players didn't follow the plan. This lack of offensive execution was something she specifically mentioned in her now infamous postgame presser.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am fairly certain she was upset at her players (I'm not sure which ones). First of all, none of her words or body language is directed toward any of the officials. Second, at the 0:37 mark of the clip my amateur lip-reading analysis has yielded: "I [or we] just [BLEEP] said that!" Meaning, they had just talked at halftime about how they would attack the zone defense and she was distraught that her players didn't follow the plan.

That fits with her post game assessment that no one is paying attention to her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No matter how talented a team maybe, you need experienced upperclassman to provide the on court and off court guidance and the buffer the younger players need with Muffet.

If I were Muffet, I would burn 90% of the offensive schemes and spend as much time getting them to rebound the ball as possible

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think she is experiencing what Geno experienced when the Walker / Coombs / Gordon / AEH class were freshmen. They didn't "get it" either, and Geno became royally displeased with them. The difference is that he had experienced upperclassmen whom he could play and trust, while the Boneyard worried that the freshmen would transfer because they weren't getting enough minutes.

Well, 3 of those 4 freshmen did transfer, and it was probably a good thing for both them and UConn.

I don't think Brunelle or Peoples will transfer from Notre Dame, but they will learn to pay attention to the instructions from their coach. I do think that Sam Brunelle may sometimes wonder what she did to deprive herself of the opportunity to come to UConn.

Reaction Score
I think when you draw up how to attack a defense at half time and go into it in some detail and then on their first opportunity the team does exactly what you told them not to do it gets this kind of reaction.

I think it is really a shame, though, how much offensive fouls have expanded over the last 30 years. This is one of the rules that has gradually whittled away at free movement on offense. Defenders are now awarded for jumping in front of defenders and flopping.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but if the team does not listen, you call a time out and go over it again. You call time out immediately. If the roster is big enough, which the Irish's isn't, you sit the offenders and sub. While the sub is on the floor, you coach the new occupiers of the bench. I don't know if this is MM mentality.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For the 2nd time in two games it appears that MM has broken the 3rd commandment, which may not sit well with the Congregation of Holy Cross that runs Notre Dame.

All I can say is, “five Our Fathers and five Hail Marys”.....

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I do think that Sam Brunelle may sometimes wonder what she did to deprive herself of the opportunity to come to UConn.

Kids sometimes pick a school where they will get a lot of playing time right away.
That might well not have been the case if Sam had came to UConn.

Now (if she doesn't foul), she gets all the playing time she can handle and more.
One wonders whether she rues the day that she thought that that was a good idea.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't think Brunelle or Peoples will transfer from Notre Dame, but they will learn to pay attention to the instructions from their coach. I do think that Sam Brunelle may sometimes wonder what she did to deprive herself of the opportunity to come to UConn.
Do we know that it wasn't UConn who lost interest in Brunelle and not vice versa? I came under the impression that the coaching staff lost interest at some point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kids sometimes pick a school where they will get a lot of playing time right away.
That might well not have been the case if Sam had came to UConn.

Now (if she doesn't foul), she gets all the playing time she can handle and more.
One wonders whether she rues the day that she thought that that was a good idea.
I don’t want to beat a dead horse but there is a dispute whether or not SB had an offer from UConn at the time she announced her decision to attend ND.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom