ND AD discusses BE Future | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND AD discusses BE Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only thing that makes the Irish worry is the development of 4 superconferences and no 5th or 6th on a BCS level. Why? Because 4 conferences means they close the door and set up their own 4 or 8 team playoff. Whether or not the Big East survives, if the Big XII survives (meaning it keeps Texas and Oklahoma, because any league with those schools is a major league) then Notre Dame can't be shut out.

The single best development for the Irish, and the worst one for the ACC if it was trying to force the Irish's hand, was the Pac Ten saying we don't see why it's in our interest to go past 12.

I agree with your last point. And it is true that a superconference scenario will cause some heartburn for ND. But I am not sure that the accepted wisdom---ND being forced to join up in the event superconferences arrive--is likely. The BCS enacted special rules for ND before because it was in its interests to do so. The superconferences could make a similar calculation if the doomsday scenario arrives. If it's all about money, why not?

EDIT: whoops. See my point was already made and responded to. Let's just say that I don't think ND will be forced to do anything because I don't think it will ever be left out, not so long as it's printing money for the networks and serving as a deserved or undeserved student-athlete shield for everyone else.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will never be left out.

If the world changes and we end up with four super conferences, Notre Dame will be their plus-one. There would be no surer way to bring the legislative and judicial branches of government down on the BCS' head than if they were to try to exclude Notre Dame.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

If the world changes and we end up with four super conferences, Notre Dame will be their plus-one. There would be no surer way to bring the legislative and judicial branches of government down on the BCS' head than if they were to try to exclude Notre Dame.

So Notre Dame would be content to leave it's other sports in C-USA? What happens when the Big East completely dies?

Reaction Score

You honestly think there will be more political pressure from the exclusion of a catholic school than a number of state flagship universitites? I can't see that being possible.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will go where it can keep it's "tier 3" NBC contract. That's the ACC or Big12. But if Big 10 allows it, that would be their first choice. And if B10 wants to maximize it's B10 network, it needs eastern eyeballs, that's why i'm still convinced we're headed to the Big 10.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What if ND said that they'd like to join the BE for all sports but they'd like to drive the bus. Who would be for that?

If they join the B1G, they won't be the big dog. If they join the Big 12 they'd have to muscle up with Texas.

But if they are smart...and read the tea leaves...and determine that they'll eventually have to do it, their choice would be ACC or Big East. ND already has a relationship with the BE. They are a Catholic school amongst Catholic schools. They'd have solid penetration in the NY, Philly and DC markets and would enjoy knowing that it is one of the few institutions powerful enough to anchor a hybrid conference in a football world.

Possible?

Reaction Score

I thought the assumption was that playoffs would be instituted ONLY when the power players could assure all money goes to them? At that point, they'd have playoffs, and they could give ND a bid on only special occasions (i.e. if they go 11-1). This would mean that ND would have to be near perfect to have a postseason.

Reaction Score
What if ND said that they'd like to join the BE for all sports but they'd like to drive the bus. Who would be for that?

If they join the B1G, they won't be the big dog. If they join the Big 12 they'd have to muscle up with Texas.

But if they are smart...and read the tea leaves...and determine that they'll eventually have to do it, their choice would be ACC or Big East. ND already has a relationship with the BE. They are a Catholic school amongst Catholic schools. They'd have solid penetration in the NY, Philly and DC markets and would enjoy knowing that it is one of the few institutions powerful enough to anchor a hybrid conference in a football world.

Possible?

This was a highly, highly unlikely and imiprobable, but not irrational, suggestion before Pitt and Syracuse bailed. I no longer think it is rational for them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We were Notre Dame's pet conference for a while.

We got hit by a car. They're sad, but they'll get over it in a day or so.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nah, ND will stay Independent in football and keep other sports in Big East if they can. I think the Big 10 and ACC have to be at 15 teams each before ND gets too nervous.
ND is a perfect fit for the BE Catholic schools league. none of them are Div 1 college football anyway so ND can stay in a very good hoops conference with Georgetown, Nova, Depaul, Marquette, PC, Seton Hall, and SHU. that would still be one of the top 4 hoops conferences in the nation, maybe even top 3 or 2 depending on the year. i hope that the UCONN administration is not counting on ND doing ANYTHING that would help UCONN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did you notice that their language in referring to the Big East was “they” rather than “we”? Sounds to me that ND is trying to distance themselves from this train wreck. Note how beneficent they’ve been and how they are trying to help us. SOBs. They are a big reason we’re in this mess.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Did you notice that their language in referring to the Big East was “they” rather than “we”? Sounds to me that ND is trying to distance themselves from this train wreck. Note how beneficent they’ve been and how they are trying to help us. SOBs. They are a big reason we’re in this mess.

I noticed that myself when I read the ND statement. Hardly a ringing endorcement of the Big East.

I just hope that Herbst has been going to church each Sunday and placed many huge contributions into the donation basket for Notre Dame recently....because if Notre Dame decides to join a conference, they will probably be able to pick a 'conference mate' to join with....and we need to make sure they choose UConn and not Rutgers! Mabye Herbst should make a trip to The Vatican to make sure we have alignment all the way up the chain of command!:)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You honestly think there will be more political pressure from the exclusion of a catholic school than a number of state flagship universitites? I can't see that being possible.

Without question.

You can exclude UConn or Rutgers without peril. You exclude Notre Dame and the grandstanding will begin immediately. They're more a flagship in that world than anyone that might be left behind.

Reaction Score
Without question.

You can exclude UConn or Rutgers without peril. You exclude Notre Dame and the grandstanding will begin immediately. They're more a flagship in that world than anyone that might be left behind.

In the college football world, sure. But that would cover media pressure. I just can't believe that Congress is concerned about a private college but not flagship universities. It certainly shouldn't be.

Reaction Score
Touchy? Just because there is a material thing that I love more than any thing other than my family (and maybe a few friends) might not be the same?
+10000 to this. I remembered it but wasn't logged in to reply to it. It was worth searching for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom