NCAA to soon pass name, image and likeness rules targeting boosters offering inducements to athletes (Dodd) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA to soon pass name, image and likeness rules targeting boosters offering inducements to athletes (Dodd)

Reaction Score
Gonna be a great time to be a lawyer if this laughable organization tries to dictate what someone can pay a legally hired spokesperson. Of course it's probably always a good time to be a lawyer in this day and age.

Reaction Score
so doesn't a NIL Collective create a dilemma for athletic departments - before NIL, major donors were solicited to contribute $ for scholarships and capital projects. With NIL, those same donors may instead give their $ to a NIL Collective where the funds go to the student-athletes, not the school.

Reaction Score
I was talking this with scenario with my friends the other day. What if Hurley has a recruit visit brings the 4/5star kid on campus and end of visit brings him and family into his office and offers a scholarship. In the office as well is Mr. ABC from company XYZ and a offers him and his family a deal contingent on singed LOI.

Is this scenario now allowable?

Reaction Score
I was talking this with scenario with my friends the other day. What if Hurley has a recruit visit brings the 4/5star kid on campus and end of visit brings him and family into his office and offers a scholarship. In the office as well is Mr. ABC from company XYZ and a offers him and his family a deal contingent on singed LOI.

Is this scenario now allowable?
no. NIL cannot be used as an inducement - "contingent on a signed LOI". The NIL could be offered later.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
so doesn't a NIL Collective create a dilemma for athletic departments - before NIL, major donors were solicited to contribute $ for scholarships and capital projects. With NIL, those same donors may instead give their $ to a NIL Collective where the funds go to the student-athletes, not the school.
Wait boosters were forming make a collect use of millions of dollars for scholarships and capital projects? Cool!

Reaction Score
no. NIL cannot be used as an inducement - "contingent on a signed LOI". The NIL could be offered later.
Well, unless you're Miami and then it's O.K. ;)

The 6-foot guard is getting a two-year, $800,000 deal with LifeWallet as part of a name, image and likeness (NIL) agreement. To top it all off, Pack was also promised a car as part of the deal. While this is hardly the first NIL deal to accompany a signing in college basketball, it's rare for the terms of the deal to be released at the time of signing.

Reaction Score
If my players aren't broke and living below the poverty line then I don't want em.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, unless you're Miami and then it's O.K. ;)

The 6-foot guard is getting a two-year, $800,000 deal with LifeWallet as part of a name, image and likeness (NIL) agreement. To top it all off, Pack was also promised a car as part of the deal. While this is hardly the first NIL deal to accompany a signing in college basketball, it's rare for the terms of the deal to be released at the time of signing.

The thing about lifewallet is that their agreement actually requires services to be rendered. Perhaps they are overpaying for them, but there are services.

Ruiz is incredibly slimy, but he’s not an idiot.

Reaction Score
The thing about lifewallet is that their agreement actually requires services to be rendered. Perhaps they are overpaying for them, but there are services.

Ruiz is incredibly slimy, but he’s not an idiot.

He is not a "collective", has actual businesses, and can pay whatever he likes to his people. If he is using it as a recruiting tool, and that can be proven, then there is an issue. I think the groups that are in immediate danger, such danger as the trash NCAA can create, are the ones that just blanket pay each kid a set sum. I am not sure, but I thought I read that it is the Tennessee collective that doesn't even really hide the fact that they get involved early in the process. maybe too early, but we will see.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here is a deeper look at the issue and possible rule changes. High level summary

Transfer windows: Athletes seeking to transfer would need to be entered into the transfer portal and select a transfer destination during a specified period. As the concept is currently framed, all transfer activity outside the window would result in a penalty.

Recruiting calendar: The idea is to simplify the schedule down to only two periods for recruiting: a recruiting period in which all recruiting activities may occur and a recruiting shutdown in which no recruiting activities can occur.

Personnel limitations: This change would eliminate the limit on the number of coaches who may be employed by an institution, and it may or may not be paired with a concept to eliminate all personnel designations (volunteer coach, grad assistant, analyst, etc.).

Team financial aid limits: This may not be fully fleshed out until later in the summer because it would require corresponding legislation regarding limits on roster size by sport. But the idea would be that conferences or schools could decide to offer as many full scholarships for as many sports as they can afford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom