NCAA Regionals | The Boneyard

NCAA Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I assume we will be in the Louisville region. Hope its not Notre Dame.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't assume it is obvious. We will have played Louisville twice, and almost certainly thrice. While it is acceptable to put two teams from the same conference, who met three times, into the same regional, because they have done it before, they got a lot of flack (Baylor, TAMU) and I think they will try not to do it again.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Being in the Louisville region would be a disaster. We have seen repeated instances where playing a team a fourth time has resulted in a loss for a team who is 3-0 against the opponent. If we end up in that regional, we should hope for at least one loss to Louisville by UConn.

Especially of note is that to be 3-0 against an opponent, with some of them close games, is a particularly bad omen. UConn and ND had two close games in 2010-11 before the national semis. The same two teams had three very close games in 2012-13 before the national semis. Baylor had had two and a half close games with A&M in 2010-11 before the regional finals. In short, if we go 3-0 against Louisville before playing them in regionals, it'd be a little less of a nightmare if UConn won all three games handily or is "only" 2-1 against them.

Reaction Score
Being from FL, I don't plan on driving to Indiana, Nebraska or California for a regional. Since I already have my Nashville tickets, I'll leave a week early and go to Louisville first if UConn is there. Just purchased two lower level tickets on Ticktmster.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I have to believe UConn ends up in Nebraska. They will be the number 1 seed and should have the easiest road to Nashville. ND Louisville and Stanford host also. Duke will go to Louisville as a one seed. Stanford stays home. ND stays home. The 2 seeds will be seeded accordingly. Nebraska will stay home and if a 2 seed that settles that.

UConn Nebraska
Duke Louisville
ND Kentucky
Stanford MD

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The challenge is that "easiest road" is what led to the S-curve, but expense considerations resulted in abandoning the S-curve for geography.

Geography leads to Louisville. (Assuming they don't totally lose their mind, decide that geography trumps all, and move us down to a 2 seed and send us to ND. While I don't think this will happen, the rules explicitly permit this).

My hope is that sense will prevail, they will write up the rules for the seeding, leaving geography as an important consideration, but soften the language which suggests it is the sole criterion for initial assignment. There are some hard rules restricting conference meetups, but unless Louisville drops to a 4 (I had mistakenly said 3 in an earlier post), none of the hard rules affect UConn, except the hard rule that Regional hosts get to place at home.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why one should assume that UConn will be handed the "easiest road" even if it ends up as the #1 seed overall. The regionals structure this year is so convoluted the seeding committee could decide to do pretty much anything and then cook up some cockamamie explanation for it. And who knows? There might well be persons on the committee who are tired of UConn making the Final Four and would love to see them lose in the regional.

Reaction Score
Being in the Louisville region would be a disaster. We have seen repeated instances where playing a team a fourth time has resulted in a loss for a team who is 3-0 against the opponent. If we end up in that regional, we should hope for at least one loss to Louisville by UConn.

Especially of note is that to be 3-0 against an opponent, with some of them close games, is a particularly bad omen. UConn and ND had two close games in 2010-11 before the national semis. The same two teams had three very close games in 2012-13 before the national semis. Baylor had had two and a half close games with A&M in 2010-11 before the regional finals. In short, if we go 3-0 against Louisville before playing them in regionals, it'd be a little less of a nightmare if UConn won all three games handily or is "only" 2-1 against them.
Probably the dumbest line of reasoning I've ever heard, and I was a teacher for many years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sonny44 said:
Probably the dumbest line of reasoning I've ever heard, and I was a teacher for many years.

And yet, despite having brain cancer (seriously, I do), my reasoning and logic skills are through the roof .

In another note , think before posting tripe like this. You now come across as a laconic jerk. Was that your intent? If so, you've succeeded with flying colors.

HGN

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why one should assume that UConn will be handed the "easiest road" even if it ends up as the #1 seed overall. The regionals structure this year is so convoluted the seeding committee could decide to do pretty much anything and then cook up some cockamamie explanation for it. And who knows? There might well be persons on the committee who are tired of UConn making the Final Four and would love to see them lose in the regional.
Pap, you are so right. I feel that there could be a back-lash against UConn. Announcers hint around it , coaches as much say it , and eventually the committee may start to feel that way too.....Though I hope not.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My hope is that they stick to the hard and fast rule of geography and that both Uconn and ND are in fact #1 seeds with Uconn having the #1 overall. If that is the case Uconn gets sent to South Bend and ND gets sent to Louisville or Lincoln depending on who gets the 4th #1 seed and whether they are the higher #1 vs. ND. Ideally Stanford gets beat out in the Pac10 by Arizona State but both Pac10 teams are #1 seeds - then we can have Stanford at Louisville, ND in Lincoln, Uconn in South Bend and Arizona State in Stanford. This would make the NCAA committee truly happy and would be fitting for their general stupidity!:rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My hope is that they stick to the hard and fast rule of geography and that both Uconn and ND are in fact #1 seeds with Uconn having the #1 overall. If that is the case Uconn gets sent to South Bend and ND gets sent to Louisville or Lincoln depending on who gets the 4th #1 seed and whether they are the higher #1 vs. ND. Ideally Stanford gets beat out in the Pac10 by Arizona State but both Pac10 teams are #1 seeds - then we can have Stanford at Louisville, ND in Lincoln, Uconn in South Bend and Arizona State in Stanford. This would make the NCAA committee truly happy and would be fitting for their general stupidity!:rolleyes:
Will never happen.

Reaction Score
NO wailing, whimping or whining!
Anyone, anywhere, anytime....

Reaction Score
And yet, despite having brain cancer (seriously, I do), my reasoning and logic skills are through the roof .

In another note , think before posting tripe like this. You now come across as a laconic jerk. Was that your intent? If so, you've succeeded with flying colors.
I guess my statement was too harsh. Yet my faith precludes superstition.
I'm truly sorry about your condition and will remember you in my prayers.

Reaction Score
I guess my statement was too harsh. Yet my faith precludes superstition.
I'm truly sorry about your condition and will remember you in my prayers.

"Yet my faith precludes superstition." I had to read that twice.

Reaction Score
Crazy

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
We will most likely end up in Louisville based on Georgraphy and ND getting a #1 seed. Also look for the Lady Vols to end up in the same Regional as either a 3 or 4 seed. A lot will depend on the final SEC conference standings and tournament.

Reaction Score

Host schools get to serve as hosts. Thus ND will be placed in the ND regional. Same for Louisville, Stanford, and Nebraska.
There is no debate about this.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Host schools get to serve as hosts. Thus ND will be placed in the ND regional. Same for Louisville, Stanford, and Nebraska.
So you are saying geography is out the window? Haven't seen the new rules published anywhere, but I do not believe their are any rules for host schools of regionals as this is a new and unique situation - as I recall 'may' was the word used and not 'will' for schools playing on their own courts.
Anyway - I was just having fun.

Reaction Score
The 1st 2 rounds to me do not matter.......My TV works in all parts of the US........The big ??? is what if Louisville is the 4 #1 seed?..........UCONN, ND, Duke and Louisville...

I am looking forward to selection Monday......

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The 1st 2 rounds to me do not matter..My TV works in all parts of the US...The big ??? is what if Louisville is the 4 #1 seed?.....UCONN, ND, Duke and Louisville...

I am looking forward to selection Monday.
Since UConn and Louisville will probably play 3 times, explain how both will end up number 1's. And where has Stanford gone?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
That's what I think will happen also. I also think Tenn will be put in our region if they can justify it by any means. Money, TV ratings and interest. I think it happens in this yrs Tmt! Just a feeling!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Since UConn and Louisville will probably play 3 times, explain how both will end up number 1's.

It happens that two schools from the same conference end up as #1 seeds. If you remember allllll the way back to 2013, UConn and ND were both #1 seeds.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It happens that two schools from the same conference end up as #1 seeds. If you remember allllll the way back to 2013, UConn and ND were both #1 seeds.
And Stanford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer