NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation

Reaction Score
This is a good point. I feel like this is the negotiating position of the biggest schools. It probably won't be this severe.
No, this is the NCAA proposal.

This is just the starting point for the P2 to begin negotiations.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
And play against who exactly? If it gets whittled down to just a few power conferences and an independent UConn in football, we would not be able to fill a 5 game schedule—never mind a full 12 game schedule.
In this proposal the opt-out tier still gets a seat in the playoffs. Lower tier teams will want a shot at us and we’ll be a patsy for other opt-in teams. Shouldn’t be any harder to make a schedule - maybe even a little easier.

Reaction Score
Right now, sure. If it's not eventually football, then we never get in. Basketball people better be supporting that football team and hoping that changes. Instead they keep thinking that some day miraculously the Big 10 and SEC will see the err of their ways and suddenly by some convoluted circumstances start dumping money on UConn because they cannot live without them.
That’s the whole point. Heck until 15 years ago outside of Kentucky the SEC looked at basketball as a way to kill time between football season and spring football practice. Outside of Michigan State and Indiana the Big 10 did the same. Now, well, ask an Alabama fan if they’d go to the Spring Red-White game or the SEC basketball tourney.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
If this happens, UConn will definitely opt in. Big time sports, particularly football and hoops, are essential to maintaining elite status as a university. I think the state will consider some radical ideas, like eliminating the in-state tuition rate for Storrs campus.

Reaction Score
Paying college players has always sounded better in theory than it does in reality. That's not to say that it couldn't or shouldn't happen; just that it wouldn't be nearly as lucrative for the players as people think. This isn't pro sports or even minor leagues. The revenue created by college sports is a direct function of student-athletes being unpaid, and there is no way to maintain anywhere near that level of revenue if they are being paid. That leaves the student-athlete to choose between making a little more money while their sport nosedives in popularity or accepting the limitations of the current system. Most have traditionally chosen the latter, but mounting political pressure to spread the wealth at whatever cost may override that preference.

NIL is obviously a sham designed to circumvent Title IX. It's pay-for-play, with a different label to make it a little easier for old-school fans to swallow. Nothing that wasn't already happening before, but with a lot less risk attached.

As a proponent of basic fairness, I don't like the idea of slimy TV executives raking in the lion's share of a billion dollar pie anymore than the next guy. But if the alternative were that appealing, it would have happened a long time ago.

Reaction Score
If this happens, UConn will definitely opt in. Big time sports, particularly football and hoops, are essential to maintaining elite status as a university. I think the state will consider some radical ideas, like eliminating the in-state tuition rate for Storrs campus.
Yeah! I mean can you imagine anyone going to Harvard or MIT or Chicago. Heck, MIT and Chicago, they are D3. They’ll never be considered elite. .

Reaction Score
Yeah! I mean can you imagine anyone going to Harvard or MIT or Chicago. Heck, MIT and Chicago, they are D3. They’ll never be considered elite. .
Let me know when uconn is uchicago.

Reality. Athletics is the advertising front door. The question is how much do we want to spend on advertising. That's how much you spend on football.

Reaction Score
The more I read of what the proposal is the more it seems like it's just made for the top half of the SEC and Big 10. The rest of the college football world can't compete with those budgets period.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The more I read of this it sounds like it won't even be an official subdivision. As long as UConn and the entirety of the Big East opt in and every Big East school pledges to commit as much to basketball as the P4 programs, we will be fine.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
They are all private schools. Name the elite flagship state universities that do not prioritize sports.

Reaction Score
Reality is at many schools that think they are important in college football but are more midrange the professorship and the rest are going to get really cranky. Think mid level big 10 schools

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You are vastly overestimating the number of schools that can actually opt into this.
I gave up trying to talk to him about this when he put that UMass and Saint Louis were going to participate

Reaction Score
My understanding is that the institution currently is not required in any way to equalize NIL compensation between genders. These are private contracts that do not involve the institution. Yet the new NCAA division proposal would impose such a requirement, correct?

If correct, I am guessing that will be the reason it will never move forward. FB, MBB, WBB, MHOC(?) are the only appreciable revenue generating sports. Perhaps MSOC too. Which means that a LOT of women athletes in non-revenue sports would be getting paid to ensure compliance. Could a business case ever be ginned up so that would make sense?

And you still have the NIL wild west that we have now.

Your thoughts.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that the institution currently is not required in any way to equalize NIL compensation between genders. These are private contracts that do not involve the institution. Yet the new NCAA division proposal would impose such a requirement, correct?

If correct, I am guessing that will be the reason it will never move forward. FB, MBB, WBB, MHOC(?) are the only appreciable revenue generating sports. Perhaps MSOC too. Which means that a LOT of women athletes in non-revenue sports would be getting paid to ensure compliance. Could a business case ever be ginned up so that would make sense?

And you still have the NIL wild west that we have now.

Your thoughts.
If the money comes from the school, regardless of the ncaa, there will need to be an equalization along enrolment lines of the institution. The ncaas 50 50 rule may actually cause institutions to be in violation of title ix ironically against men but you'll never see that lawsuit happen because of politics. Either case the issue comes down to the source of the money

Reaction Score
If the money comes from the school, regardless of the ncaa, there will need to be an equalization along enrolment lines of the institution. The ncaas 50 50 rule may actually cause institutions to be in violation of title ix ironically against men but you'll never see that lawsuit happen because of politics. Either case the issue comes down to the source of the money
But of course NIL money does not come the school. By definition. Right? Only in this new NCAA proposal will money come from the school. That is the point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom