NCAA penalties for Maryland | The Boneyard

NCAA penalties for Maryland

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

"Maryland and the enforcement staff agreed that the women’s basketball staff used recruiting booklets with personalized covers for 17 prospects on their unofficial visits. The head coach said she did not correctly understand the rules about what could be reviewed in person during visits. Additionally, an assistant coach sent 150 personalized tangible items to prospects, contrary to NCAA rules."

Penalties for WBB include a reduction in official visits and loss of one scholarship for the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
"Maryland and the enforcement staff agreed that the women’s basketball staff used recruiting booklets with personalized covers for 17 prospects on their unofficial visits. The head coach said she did not correctly understand the rules about what could be reviewed in person during visits. Additionally, an assistant coach sent 150 personalized tangible items to prospects, contrary to NCAA rules."

Penalties for WBB include a reduction in official visits and loss of one scholarship for the next 3 years.
Good one!

"Seriously? You can't do that?"

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I want to like her, really I do, however, I just am not convinced she’s a great tactician. Add in her demeanor at times, her “Rodney Dangerfield mantra of I get no respect”, the soft OOC and her underachievement these last 3-4 years has me shaking my head. This years coming team has talent but no way do I think she can coach them into an Elite 8 never mind a Final Four. Now add in this lame excuse, lack of acceptance of responsibility and I am left perplexed on why try to like her?

Reaction Score
Mimi Collins will redshirt this season. Zoe Young tore her ACL and will be out for 2019-20.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Mimi Collins will redshirt this season. Zoe Young tore her ACL and will be out for 2019-20.
Dare I ask your take on "the head coach"?

I have a 3 part comment -
1 - for many years there were rumors surrounding her recruiting / tactics (much more serious than this typical NCAA nonsense) but nothing came of it, which is I suppose "good"
2 - her coaching style is what my wife and I call "rah-rah"; Coach Peck was another one. Both have had NC's, but in general we don't think that style is successful, and most likely requires good assistants for the x and o stuff.
3- there used to be, years back, a program called "Under the Shell" that followed the team around for a couple of seasons. See comment #2. Just not our style.

In the end, I am not impressed as much as I was when she first appeared on the scene. Of course, as a Rutgers fan, I would much prefer RU to do better (than Maryland) in the B1G, although that certainly has not been the case.

Just curious

Reaction Score

2 - her coaching style is what my wife and I call "rah-rah"; Coach Peck was another one. Both have had NC's, but in general we don't think that style is successful, and most likely requires good assistants for the x and o stuff.
3- there used to be, years back, a program called "Under the Shell" that followed the team around for a couple of seasons. See comment #2. Just not our style.
The rah-rah style I am not a big fan of but her players seem to really love that. Behind the scene, her practices are really good. They literally go over everything in practice. Her in game coaching can be hit or miss but has not been good recently in the NCAA tournament. Her pregame scouting is very good though. (see the 2nd Rutgers game last season, very good job by Brenda there). Sometimes her rotations can be questionable but they have been really successful in the Big 10. I think the Under the Shell segments are really good because the show gives good insight on all the players and some of the assistant coaches.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Frese has had her ups and downs but you don't stay a consistent top 10-15 team for fifteen years without being an excellent coach. In her 17 years in Maryland, she has:
1. Won a title
2. Made 3 Final Fours
3. has a 79% win percentage
4. Has won 4/5 Big Ten Championships
5. Had 5 Maryland players playing in the WNBA finals plus two others who played for her before transferring

She's not a perfect coach, she has high player turnover and her style isn't for everyone, but there's no questioning she's among the elite group of coaches in the country. She took over a program that was dead in the water and turned them into a power house that has maintained a culture of winning. She drastically improved Minnesota in the 1 year she was there and also improved Ball State before that. I don't understand why she doesn't get as much respect as she deserves compared to someone like Jeff Walz who has a strikingly similar track record but no title to show.

Reaction Score
Frese Is a legitimate top 10 coach in the NCAA. I wish she would do better in the NCAA tournament. Maybe this season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A more painful punishment would be placing restrictions on her pre-game pep rallies. ;)

Reaction Score
If she didn't understand the rule why didn't she ask the NCAA to explain it to her? Talk about dodging responsibility :rolleyes:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

I have a 3 part comment -
1 - for many years there were rumors surrounding her recruiting / tactics (much more serious than this typical NCAA nonsense) but nothing came of it, which is I suppose "good"

In the end, I am not impressed as much as I was when she first appeared on the scene. Of course, as a Rutgers fan, I would much prefer RU to do better (than Maryland) in the B1G, although that certainly has not been the case.

Just curious
I would also Knight. But I do think we are on the up and up, especially if land key recruits this year. (Walker, Cornwell, Johnson.)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...I don't understand why she doesn't get as much respect as she deserves compared to someone like Jeff Walz who has a strikingly similar track record but no title to show.
Ok, your right-you don’t understand! :rolleyes: you do realize the irony of your last paragraph here right? It the general opinion of this forum that Brenda only won that title due to having Jeff Walz and Joanna Bernabei McNamee (Albany and now BC head coach) as her assistants who both seem to know how to ACTUALLY COACH. Brenda can flat out recruit (and now we seem to know how-by not knowing the rules :rolleyes:) but her in-game adjustments are terrible and whether the team actually improves from the beginning of the year thru the end is debatable. But yes, she has won an extremely high percentage of games even within the conference (her OOC has traditionally been HORRIBLE!). She is now in the 4th or 5th rank P5 whose WCBB history is terrible so beating up this lot of schools is not a great feat. The good news is the Big10 is getting better and Brenda does have a strong team. I wonder what her preseason rank vs. postseason rank by the voters looks like as I suspect she under performs. I have season tix this year so I will keep the board apprised.

Reaction Score
I went to the open practice on Sunday and Brenda's practices are really good. She has a really good scout team and they give the women fits. They are very well prepared going into a game. She likes to schedule good mid major teams and this season is no exception (Quinnipiac, Belmont and James madison on the road). I don't think their OOC schedule is a bad as many people make it out to be. She probably need to ditch scheduling the sub 300 RPI team though. Next season schedule will be really good with UConn, South Carolina, a good ACC team and probably a good team on Thanksgiving weekend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I went to the open practice on Sunday and Brenda's practices are really good. She has a really good scout team and they give the women fits. They are very well prepared going into a game. She likes to schedule good mid major teams and this season is no exception (Quinnipiac, Belmont and James madison on the road). I don't think their OOC schedule is a bad as many people make it out to be. She probably need to ditch scheduling the sub 300 RPI team though. Next season schedule will be really good with UConn, South Carolina, a good ACC team and probably a good team on Thanksgiving weekend.
Wait it's hard to tell the Terps starters from the scout team?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Ok, your right-you don’t understand! :rolleyes: you do realize the irony of your last paragraph here right? It the general opinion of this forum that Brenda only won that title due to having Jeff Walz and Joanna Bernabei McNamee (Albany and now BC head coach) as her assistants who both seem to know how to ACTUALLY COACH. Brenda can flat out recruit (and now we seem to know how-by not knowing the rules :rolleyes:) but her in-game adjustments are terrible and whether the team actually improves from the beginning of the year thru the end is debatable. But yes, she has won an extremely high percentage of games even within the conference (her OOC has traditionally been HORRIBLE!). She is now in the 4th or 5th rank P5 whose WCBB history is terrible so beating up this lot of schools is not a great feat. The good news is the Big10 is getting better and Brenda does have a strong team. I wonder what her preseason rank vs. postseason rank by the voters looks like as I suspect she under performs. I have season tix this year so I will keep the board apprised.

Brenda won the title as head coach in 2006. Not Walz. Dont get that confused.

In 2014 Brenda took Maryland to the Final 4 as a 4 seed when they crushed #1 seed Tennessee and beat Louisville (#2 seed) in Louisville. She repeated the following year with a crop of players who were not top 10 recruits. She gave UCONN 2 of their toughest games in 2016 and 2017 with relatively unheralded recruits and after losing their best player Lexie Brown to an unexpected transfer. She scheduled poorly and paid the price for it with poor seeding, but her teams were quite good. Suggest rewatching those UCONN games if you dont remember them.

And Brenda developed all of those players who went on to play in the finals this year. She did a particularly good job with unheralded players like Walker-Kimbrough and Brionna Jones. Both improved immensely over their 4 years with her. Same with Hawkins and pretty much any Terp that has gone to the W. She develops players extremely well when they stick around.

Her NCAA results as of late have been underwhelming, but her team wasnt expected to be good the past two years. Plus most coaches go through lulls. Kim Mulkey just missed 6 straight Final Fours, Muffet was irrelevant most of the 2000s, Tara's program went 10 years without F4 from the late 90s-late 2000s, etc. Brenda has a very strong roster this year and will be ragged on if they underperform but she has proven to be an excellent coach by almost any standard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think their OOC schedule is a bad as many people make it out to be. She probably need to ditch scheduling the sub 300 RPI team though. Next season schedule will be really good with UConn, South Carolina, a good ACC team and probably a good team on Thanksgiving weekend.
:eek:
gee.jpg

Reaction Score
Brenda won the title as head coach in 2006. Not Walz. Dont get that confused.

In 2014 Brenda took Maryland to the Final 4 as a 4 seed when they crushed #1 seed Tennessee and beat Louisville (#2 seed) in Louisville. She repeated the following year with a crop of players who were not top 10 recruits. She gave UCONN 2 of their toughest games in 2016 and 2017 with relatively unheralded recruits and after losing their best player Lexie Brown to an unexpected transfer. She scheduled poorly and paid the price for it with poor seeding, but her teams were quite good. Suggest rewatching those UCONN games if you dont remember them.

And Brenda developed all of those players who went on to play in the finals this year. She did a particularly good job with unheralded players like Walker-Kimbrough and Brionna Jones. Both improved immensely over their 4 years with her. Same with Hawkins and pretty much any Terp that has gone to the W. She develops players extremely well when they stick around.

Her NCAA results as of late have been underwhelming, but her team wasnt expected to be good the past two years. Plus most coaches go through lulls. Kim Mulkey just missed 6 straight Final Fours, Muffet was irrelevant most of the 2000s, Tara's program went 10 years without F4 from the late 90s-late 2000s, etc. Brenda has a very strong roster this year and will be ragged on if they underperform but she has proven to be an excellent coach by almost any standard.

Still think it's hard to compare her to those 3. It's not like the B10 is that tough...Now ACC I can understand struggling to consistently be the top dog of. 4/5 B10 championships from a coach that can recruit and has been to the final 4 3x. She isn't bad by any means. Just think she may be the next level under those 3. However, I get the reason why you used those 3. As, sometimes programs (Not UConn lol) go through slumps.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Still think it's hard to compare her to those 3. It's not like the B10 is that tough...Now ACC I can understand struggling to consistently be the top dog of. 4/5 B10 championships from a coach that can recruit and has been to the final 4 3x. She isn't bad by any means. Just think she may be the next level under those 3. However, I get the reason why you used those 3. As, sometimes programs (Not UConn lol) go through slumps.

I think all 3 are better coaches than Brenda, but i was just highlighting how a few let down years doesnt make her a bad coach and she is clearly among the top 5-10 coaches in the nation. She isnt another Aston/P/Holly who recruits well and lives off of that for decent but not great success. She built her program from scratch, has maintained great success and develops her players. Plus her teams over the years have been extremely good.

Reaction Score
I think all 3 are better coaches than Brenda, but i was just highlighting how a few let down years doesnt make her a bad coach and she is clearly among the top 5-10 coaches in the nation. She isnt another Aston/P/Holly who recruits well and lives off of that for decent but not great success. She built her program from scratch, has maintained great success and develops her players. Plus her teams over the years have been extremely good.

Completely agree and I figured that was the reasoning for the comparison. I would take Frese over Aston any day!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom