NCAA needs to get rid of the kicking legs out on shot rule | The Boneyard

NCAA needs to get rid of the kicking legs out on shot rule

Reaction Score
I think about guys like Jordan Hawkins, RIP and Ray and the way the would come hard of screens and use their legs to steady their shoulders and keep them square through the shot. Some guys do kick legs out to create contact, but others use it to slow the rotation of the shoulders through the shot. I don't see how this is any more dangerous than the guys who slide into Karaban and Clingan when they are putting up shots from the paint. I'd rather they go back to protecting guys from taking an elbow like Karaban and having their forehead split open or possibly concussed.
The foul on Newton was just absolute garbage and if the NCAA or Big East had any sense, they would start making refs issue public apologies. If they want to insert themselves into the games, then make them take responsibility when they get it horribly wrong.

Reaction Score
The issue is NCAA refs, not the rule. It's also why for the last 25 years the offensive charge is called terribly compared to other high levels of basketball(NBA/FIBA), college refs simply suck and are terrible at interpreting the rules.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t find a video of ‘the foul’ and joined the telecast mid first half. Anyone have a vid?

Reaction Score
You can kick your legs out. It just can't be unnatural (ie moving one or both legs more right when the defender is passing by).

Newton moved his right leg as the defender passed by and that created the contact, which I can definitely see why the refs would call that unnatural (and I posted as such in the other thread and said it was the right call). But I went back and checked his other shots and he does do that on every shot.

It's a really hard rule if you have to know the form of every player to get the intent right, they should probably re-work it.

Last edited:

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
You can kick your legs out. It just can't be unnatural (ie moving one or both legs more right when the defender is passing by).

Newton moved his right leg as the defender passed by and that created the contact, which I can definitely see why the refs would call that unnatural (and I posted as such in the other thread and said it was the right call). But I went back and checked his other shots and he does do that on every shot.

It's a really hard rule if you have to know the form of every player to get the intent right, they should probably re-work it.
They would have made an example out of Shabazz and his scissor kick.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Like I said in the other thread, college refs are just not good enough to make the judgment call on these plays. I think NBA refs are much better at it.

The NBA has no rules. With that said, you’re still right

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
McDermott was kicking his leg out every time we shot a three. I think he thought that's his best defense

He bought that call. Fortunately he only got one

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Kicking your feet out is a natural movement when shooting many shots. Especially when shooting on the move or fading away

It's very hard to elevate and shoot a good three, if you're consciously thinking about kicking out your leg while you're shooting

Reaction Score
He didn’t kick his leg out, plain and simple. I have no idea what the ref saw.
He absolutely did not kick his legs out. It should be dictated by a player intentionally altering their normal shooting motion. Some guys do naturally kick legs out

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would anyone actually notice? Oh wait, were you talking about us?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Kind of like how pitchers with weird motions in the set can tell the ump to avoid a balk call, I wonder if the refs would give the kids the time of day if they tried to talk to them pregame to show them their natural shot / lower body motion...

Reaction Score
It was his natural way of coming down after the shot for chrissakes! If you go up for an 3 and have a shot going forward, he falls back, his leg doesn’t go toward his back it goes the opposite way. How many times do we need to see a 3 point shooter fouled, fall back on the floor but his legs pop forward?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
In general, there should be fewer calls for lower-body contact on 3s. If they didn't call ticky-tack stuff, then players wouldn't kick their legs out as much.

I saw some clip of Harden doing his "Oh my god, I've been shot!" routine after somebody touched his foot the other night. Drives me up a wall. It's so rare that a defender actually moves to where the shooter is going to land. That foul call should truly be reserved for situations where the shooter goes up in the air and the defender moves to where the shooter is obviously going to land.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pouting Pout GIF

Reaction Score
Big East refs are bad. I know it was mentioned by @BGesus4, the kick out is a good rule. It's a version of flopping. But Triston's wasn't a kick. He wasn't fishing for a call in any way. Plus, we all know he doesn't get calls.

That being said, we benefitted from bad officiating also. I didn't feel like making a separate thread, but we foul on so many screens. Our guys move, stick out legs, nudge with hips. Samson is the worst and doesn't even hide it. I think he got called once, but nobody else did. I'm hoping it's just Danny's way of countering the hand checks and bumps that refs don't call for us in the Big East. But I hope we don't get into bad habits because I think those would be called in the NCAA Tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom