NCAA looking to raise APR to 900 for post-season effective immediately | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA looking to raise APR to 900 for post-season effective immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no problem with elevating academic standards for students. The point upstater and I are making is that the same type of bb student exists in most of the Division I programs. Outside of a few institutions, such as the Ivy league schools, the level of academic performance is probably similar in all the institutions regarding basket ball players. So why is UConns numbers lower than other institutions? You presume the problem is with UConn.

Maybe the problem is that the other universities are gaming the system.

Either they are offering courses that are easier at other universities or those universities are cheating in reporting the numbers to the NCAA. Upstater has voiced evidence that both exists. UConn cannot compete with other schools for the type of athlete that is necessary to be a great program if it continues to be honest in how it handles the athletic student vs. how other universities are handling athletic students.

Most of this is Nate Miles and some of the fall-out of guys we had that didn't work out so well (say, Doug Wiggins).

That class in general hurt us with regards to graduation numbers.

Reaction Score
Most of this is Nate Miles and some of the fall-out of guys we had that didn't work out so well (say, Doug Wiggins).

That class in general hurt us with regards to graduation numbers.
Bad standing for Darius and Jonathan too.

Reaction Score
aren't there players that UConn can drag back to take a few courses and graduate? I agree with the above stated opinions about making something retroactive. It would be like making a new law that says if you have 2 speeding tickets within a 4 year period you lose your license when the current law allows for more than 2 without a loss of license. That would be pretty absurd.

Reaction Score
Someone tell me, what are the chances we get banned? it seems BS that something like this could get passed with no notice, but I know many people have it out for JC. Also, if some of the guys who were in bad academic standing go back and get a degree does a previous year's score increase?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
1 credit Bass Fishing courses are fine. The problem is the four credit Football 101 courses being offered that were actually a part of a Sports Management degree program. Bass fishing doesn't count as credit toward fulfilling a major's requirements (I'm assuming) but I know the Football 101 course did.

The amusing thing, to me at any rate, is that a 1 credit Bass Fishing course would be more useful in life than a 4 credit sports management-Football 101 course.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Will Coombs' transfer end up affecting the APR? I have no idea how the APR actually works.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Bad standing for Darius and Jonathan too.

Gavin needed something like 6 credits to graduate, but didn't do it. That killed us.

Dove had 10 years to graduate with minimal interruptions due to basketball participation, and he still didn't do it. That killed us too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Will Coombs' transfer end up affecting the APR? I have no idea how the APR actually works.

Not if he was in good academic standing. I have heard nothing to say that he wasn't in good standing when he left.

Reaction Score
Gavin needed something like 6 credits to graduate, but didn't do it. That killed us.

Dove had 10 years to graduate with minimal interruptions due to basketball participation, and he still didn't do it. That killed us too.

I wonder if there is any way to get these two, especially Gavin, to pass.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Not having a grace period for something calculated over multiple years is beyond stupid. Don't think it will be approved.

I don't know how good and smart men can make such a rule retroactively, after it's too late to try and improve such score

then again, they are the bureaucrats that make up the NCAA. Although usually perceived to be intelligent people, bureaucrats wonder through life in a dense fog.

Reaction Score
The staff told Jamal Coombs-McDaniel they wouldn't release him unless he stayed through both summer school sessions and got good enough grades.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't know how good and smart men can make such a rule retroactively, after it's too late to try and improve such score

then again, they are the bureaucrats that make up the NCAA. Although usually perceived to be intelligent people, bureaucrats wonder through life in a dense fog.

Yep. There is your problem right there. Incorrect assumption.

Reaction Score

It really shouldn't be hard to keep you APR above the minimum. In fact, but for one class (Edwards, Mandeldove, Wiggins--to be fair, I'm assuming on him), and one player (Miles), that ducked up a couple of cycles, our APR is fine.

The fact that it shouldn't be hard shouldn't make mean that changes should be retroactively instated. They already took scholarships. At this point, any thing else just seems like spite--spite that will hurt students not even enrolled in the school when most of this went down.

Reaction Score
The staff told Jamal Coombs-McDaniel they wouldn't release him unless he stayed through both summer school sessions and got good enough grades.

I hadn't read that. If true, these are the necessary changes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yeah, I'm not sure how long the grace period is once you graduate. I'd be surprised if it's longer than 6 years from your first year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I remember reading that,too. That was a 180 degree turn about.

Reaction Score

Mandeldove has to be close to graduating right? Right???

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is too late as his five year window lapsed. If we forced him to transfer before his senior year we would have been fine. If we convinced him to postpone his pursuit of a professional career overseas (so he could finish his coursework) we would have been fine. As we did the decent thing in his case it hurts our APR.

Reaction Score
It is too late as his five year window lapsed. If we forced him to transfer before his senior year we would have been fine. If we convinced him to postpone his pursuit of a professional career overseas (so he could finish his coursework) we would have been fine. As we did the decent thing in his case it hurts our APR.

It's interesting to see a good student who makes it through 3 years of classes, the 3rd year at an advanced level in the major, hurts you, while schools like Kentucky get full credit (1 point, just as much as a graduate) for kids who leave after taking big intro classes (which might as well be Football 101) in their first years.

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether other programs have been gaming the system, UConn's program deserves to be punished serverely if they cannot improve their APR. That said, they've already been punished by the APR with the deduction of scholarships. You wouldn't think it would be logical to punish this year or next years team for kids that did not meet the requirements five years ago. But then again, the NCAA has shown time and time again that they are not logical. Considering the program has already be punished because of APR scores, you'd think if they showed progress this year there would be no further punishment.

Reaction Score
This is bush league. First off, the APR is a flawed system. It's not an true measure of student athlete's academic performance. I understand that the NCAA wants to implement more severe penalties for poor academic performance, but first create a more accurate system.

But to possibily implement a post season ban for this year is ridiculous. It gives Universities no time to properly adjust to ensure they meet the requirements.

Honestly, a post season ban in my mind is just too severe. For instance, if this policy goes into effect this year or even next year, we would not be eligible for the NCAA tournament either year! That would be a serious disservice to all players on the team who would not get the opportunity to play in the greatest sports tournament of the year, just because players from previous years team failed to graduate or even transfers. The only players left on the team from any of those embarrassing low APR years is AO. So how does it make since to possibly keep this team out of the tournament where all players currently on the team are getting it done in the classroom?

Reaction Score
Exactly. We're all expecting Uconn to utilize the waiver process to get one or both of the scholarships back. There's no reason not to expect a similar waiver process to be instituted even if they do approve the new standards. The key for Uconn is to have good scores going forward.
Boy do I hope you're right! Whatever the case, the NCAAs better make it clear that it is a likely outcome. If there program has to sweat it out till next spring or summer, it could prove devastating for our recruiting.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
They're gonna do all they can to keep us out, especially with this whole AD debacle lately, and Bradley "giving" up his schollie. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom