NCAA grants transfer guard Dara Mabrey immediate eligibility at Notre Dame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA grants transfer guard Dara Mabrey immediate eligibility at Notre Dame

Reaction Score
So who is next for Notre Dame to get a waiver..The Virgin Mary? She did have a killer crossover move..oops..

Reaction Score
Getting this Mabrey a year early aint gonna help ND get any championship.. not a ACC Championship... or a NCAA Championship. Maybe a State of Indiana Championship if there is one.

Ali Patberg and her Hoosiers object to such a preposterous statement. Then there's Au'reanna Harris over at Purdue, who might just drag her team to a win despite Vesyrp.

Reaction Score
Mabrey is just the icing on the cake. The real thorn in the sides of UConn fans is the two dramatically different standards applied to Shepard and Westbrook. It seems to me that there is no logical explanation how the former received a waiver while Westbrook didn't.

Reaction Score
Anyone find it odd that she did not want to go to Notre Dame when Muffet was there... but now she is willing to be there. Wonder what her sisters said about good ole Muffett

Reaction Score
So Westbrook wasn't awarded a waiver when she left a toxic situation and her coach was fired, but Mabrey is cleared at ND despite the fact she was transferring within the same conference? Makes sense.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It was the transfer-close-to-home-sister exception due to Covid.

The NCAA is handing out waivers like candy these days. I've been a broken record on this topic. The waiver process has always been and will always be a joke. Hopefully the NCAA is transitioning to immediately eligibility for all first-time transfers.

Reaction Score
I don't blame the UConn fans for being frustrated. I regularly state my opposition to waivers except for extremely unique circumstances. Mississippi State has benefited from waivers but I am not a fan of them.
However, isn't it better that Westbrook had a year to get healthy? She got to practice with the team, sat on the bench and was likely a vocal contributor to the roster. Westbrook impressed me at UT in the few games I saw her and believe she will be a major factor for UConn this year. It's water under the bridge now so just enjoy her play on the court this year.

If anyone expect the NCAA to be consistent or transparent they need to forget about it. It will never happen.

Reaction Score
However, isn't it better that Westbrook had a year to get healthy? She got to practice with the team, sat on the bench and was likely a vocal contributor to the roster.

It's easy to say this now -- but last year I can remember reading that she was healthy. And this year have we heard that she is not? Anyhow, she is a potential All-American if she played last year and is one this year. SO I wouldn't assume this is better other than last year no NCAA Tourney and this year there may be. So at least she can participate and help UCONN make a great run while in hindsight last year was a bit of a wash.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So Westbrook wasn't awarded a waiver when she left a toxic situation and her coach was fired, but Mabrey is cleared at ND despite the fact she was transferring within the same conference? Makes sense.
This quote isn’t necessarily directed at this post on the subject but the aggregation of posts similar: as noted by a few of our very esteemed colleagues and even Geno himself, the departed school can give support for the waiver, not give support or say nothing about the player (neither for or against) and in Shepard case, Nebraska supported her while in the Evina case, Tennessee did NOT give support. Whether they outright said “no” or just was quiet, they were not “upstanding in their character”. From Geno’s diatribe was Clueless Phil complained about an incoming football transfer who was not granted immediate eligibility at the same time so the major hypocrisy by Phil and the UT Administration was abundantly apparent and further reason I (and many of us) continue to loathe the school. The NCAA should have over ruled Tennessee due to the toxic situation but then again, TN is a P5 football school so the Committee may have wanted to appease them.

Now that I had to try to qualify the committees decisions, I am off to shower and get this “stink” off of me as defending or explaining anything the committee does is disgusting.

Reaction Score
This is why the rules need to change. One year for everybody or one year for none. The NCAA and its chronies will always job the system.
Rocky, I've said this for years. No matter how much waste matter is in the pool at least make sure everybody is swimming in it. No matter what decision they make there will always be someone out there who feels they are on the short end of deal. At least, with your suggestion, no one can say they are being treated unfairly.

Reaction Score
Honestly though, while I know that Notre Dame has had a history of getting transfers approved, this year is going to be an exception to the rule for transfers everywhere given the pandemic. The NCAA thus far has been very liberal in granting extra years or immediate eligibility waivers this season. While I know that we all love to gripe about Notre Dame, this year really doesn't fit into a pattern or anything.
Lorcan, you are correct about things being different this year. The problem is that this is a historical thing with Notre Dame. They have had, for as long as I can remember (and that is a long memory) a hypocritical "Holier Than Thou" attitude going back to Frank Leahy in football and maybe before. They were above the crowd, refusing to play in bowl games, until they finally recognized how much money they could make. Now they would play in toilet bowl if the price were right.

Reaction Score
I don't blame the UConn fans for being frustrated. I regularly state my opposition to waivers except for extremely unique circumstances. Mississippi State has benefited from waivers but I am not a fan of them.
However, isn't it better that Westbrook had a year to get healthy? She got to practice with the team, sat on the bench and was likely a vocal contributor to the roster. Westbrook impressed me at UT in the few games I saw her and believe she will be a major factor for UConn this year. It's water under the bridge now so just enjoy her play on the court this year.

If anyone expect the NCAA to be consistent or transparent they need to forget about it. It will never happen.
Well said, MSS> Hope all is well down there for you and that you are not in the path of any flooding. God Bless you guys and keep you safe.

Reaction Score
Mabrey is just the icing on the cake. The real thorn in the sides of UConn fans is the two dramatically different standards applied to Shepard and Westbrook. It seems to me that there is no logical explanation how the former received a waiver while Westbrook didn't.

It's really simple. Tennessee objected and Nebraska approved.

I keep waiting for this thread to slip to pg 2.

Reaction Score
It's really simple. Tennessee objected and Nebraska approved.

I keep waiting for this thread to slip to pg 2.

From what was reported on the Tennessee side, they did not object but took no position. And as a matter of policy, it makes little sense for the team that the player is transferring from to have a veto (or even a say).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ali Patberg and her Hoosiers object to such a preposterous statement. Then there's Au'reanna Harris over at Purdue, who might just drag her team to a win despite Vesyrp.

That's why I said maybe :p

Reaction Score
Lorcan, you are correct about things being different this year. The problem is that this is a historical thing with Notre Dame. They have had, for as long as I can remember (and that is a long memory) a hypocritical "Holier Than Thou" attitude going back to Frank Leahy in football and maybe before. They were above the crowd, refusing to play in bowl games, until they finally recognized how much money they could make. Now they would play in toilet bowl if the price were right.

I don't disagree that Notre Dame has a history of being successful with transfers into the program, my view is simply that this one isn't the one to pick bones with or throw the sink at given the history.
That's why I said maybe :p

I contemplated throwing the Sycamores in there, but that miiiiiight've been a bit much. With how Notre Dame played last year, anything is possible.

Reaction Score
I had to do a double take because all of the whining made me think I was on the football board.

Reaction Score
As am I Oldude. The committee must have been feeling magnanimous. Either that or they were given free bottles of Jim Beam.

STEELERONE: As always, you are on the Beam; perhaps in more ways than one? After all, the the weather is turning colder. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
From what was reported on the Tennessee side, they did not object but took no position. And as a matter of policy, it makes little sense for the team that the player is transferring from to have a veto (or even a say).

I read that Tenn objected to what Westbrook said happened with her healthcare. Who knows. As for the rationale for NCAA rules, I haven't a clue.
But I've read several waivers have been granted and haven't read of even one denial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom