NCAA approves flopping rule (among others) | The Boneyard

NCAA approves flopping rule (among others)

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how this is applied in live games. Still hoping for a 24 second shot clock like FIBA as many of the rule changes seem to mirror their rules. Especially with the level of talent on the court nowadays, the pace of the game would be very different I believe.

Reaction Score
Like Geno, I'd like to see WCBB use the same ball as MCBB.

Some sort of flop rule is long overdue, but the devil will be in the details. This could well be one of those "beware what you wish for" cases.

Reaction Score
I wonder how they will signal the digits 6-9. Maybe using the ASL signs for those numbers?
How do they do it in the NBA? Players wear a 6 on the front of their jerseys in honor of Bill Russell. Kobe wore 8, LeBron wore 6 in Miami for example.

Reaction Score
Flopping (i.e. feigning injury) in soccer is mainly a problem on the men's side. But the women indulge in ordinary flopping in basketball. My model for thinking about the essence of bb is "what would work on a neighborhood outdoor court?" If you wouldn't do it there, you shouldn't make it a central part of your game anywhere.

Reaction Score
I imagine she'll get some coaching on this aspect of her game. In her defense, she is often the focal point of opposing teams efforts to pin fouls on her. Every opposing coach knew she was the key to UConn's offense last season, and they all remembered how prone she was to lose her cool and collect cheap fouls the season before. The fact that she was able to defeat this tactic used against her speaks volumes for her ability to reinvent herself as needed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wonder how they will signal the digits 6-9. Maybe using the ASL signs for those numbers?
If all else fails, they can always follow the lead of the NBA referees. The NBA also allows jersey numbers from 0-99. The Minneapolis Lakers' George Mikan wore jersey # 99

1686266776042.png

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Morrow could have problems at LSU IF they really call this rule properly.

Reaction Score

The exaggeration of the effect of contact has become so common that I see very few offensive foul calls unless the defender lands on their butt.
The NCAA mentioned allowing reviews during timeouts and at the half but I'm not sure what reviews they are talking about. I would like to see flopping warnings being allowed to be called after the fact and a review by an official. Halftime would be a good time to review plays and hand out warnings to teams before the second half.

What I really want is more attention to fouls away from the ball. Refs do a decent job watching the ballhandler but they miss a ton of fouls that occur on screens away from the ball. I'm for having 4 refs with the offside refs being told to watch for pushes, grabs and cheap shots away from the ball. (The ground under the SEC must have shaken as I wrote that. :D)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I look forward to see some random guard from New Mexico State checking into a game wearing #72 on her jersey :confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Morrow could have problems at LSU IF they really call this rule properly.
If she was still at DePaul...maybe. Something tells me she'll adjust her game to the new flop rules. She'll be coached by a group of new coaches, teaching and coaching her on different techniques and having different expectations from those of her former coach. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I'm very confident she'll make that adjustment. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If she was still at DePaul...maybe. Something tells me she'll adjust her game to the new flop rules. She'll be coached by a group of new coaches, teaching and coaching her on different techniques and having different expectations from those of her former coach. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I'm very confident she'll make that adjustment. :cool:
Killjoy. :mad:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The big question is what kind of hit will be allowed before they call flopping? Aaliyah took many charges last year, and sometimes I questioned how a girl her size seems to be pushed to the floor so many times with so much force. Her position to take those charges was great, but will the refs be looking to punish a player that gets this charging call so often. I hope they don't overreact to prove a point.

Reaction Score
The big question is what kind of hit will be allowed before they call flopping? Aaliyah took many charges last year, and sometimes I questioned how a girl her size seems to be pushed to the floor so many times with so much force. Her position to take those charges was great, but will the refs be looking to punish a player that gets this charging call so often. I hope they don't overreact to prove a point.
How referees interpret the rule will be interesting. We'll likely see overreaction from both vantage points depending on the official.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This rule also eliminates the lower defensive box rule.

Previously, secondary defenders had to be outside the 4-foot restricted-area arc to draw a charge. The lower defensive box was an imaginary area designated by two tick marks on the end line and the second lane space marks from the free-throw line and distinguished when the restricted-area rule was in effect.

Oh come on! I just learned that this was even a thing!

Reaction Score
I think if you apply the logic that the size of the impacted object isn't the sole variable in play, then it shouldn't be that hard. There's force applied to the object as well as the balance of that object. I like this rule change. I hope they expand on it. IMO, too may defenders, who are in legal guarding position, but retreating (not set) get called for blocks because the offensive players just bull dozes into them. Flops became more popular because defenders weren't getting these calls. They started "selling" or "exaggerating" their position. Summing up my mini rant....legal guarding position does not necessarily mean set...although many refs call it that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom