NBA Summer League | Page 12 | The Boneyard

NBA Summer League

Reaction Score
He got hit on the elbow.
Didn't show a replay and didn't see it live.

Hawk's D has been pretty poor and his handle is still failing him. They had him bring the ball up once and he got immediately hounded and almost turned it over at halfcourt. Then they ran a play for him at the end of the half and he got doubled and tried to dribble out of it and then did turn it over. Yuri Collins living in his shorts.

He came out definitely focusing on shooting from 2 off the bounce. Looked pretty smooth. That's a good area of development for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Better 2nd half for Hawk. Hit a tough, well defended off dribble 2 to ice the game. Not an amazing game (still cold from 3), but good enough.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t watch the games but looking at box scores - Hawkins with 16 points on 47% shooting despite going 1-6 on threes. If he can be ice cold from 3 but still shoot 47% I think that bodes very well for his future. We know the threes will start falling. If he’s making twos, that’s amazing

Tyrese looked like the best player on Atlanta in terms of scoring. Love to see it

caw

Reaction Score
Tyrese with a great night!

Couldn’t watch the games but looking at box scores - Hawkins with 16 points on 47% shooting despite going 1-6 on threes. If he can be ice cold from 3 but still shoot 47% I think that bodes very well for his future. We know the threes will start falling. If he’s making twos, that’s amazing

Tyrese looked like the best player on Atlanta in terms of scoring. Love to see it

They sat Tyrese a ton too. He really was easily the best player on the floor when he was in. Though Bufkin (sp?) looked better than I expected. It seemed they were trying to run things through Bufkin and Griffin. Martin was mostly the third option on offense, even though he easily outplayed the other two.

Hawkins was a mess the first half, didn't see the second. That team did not pass the ball well at all. Hawkins found himself standing in the corner way too much. He did have two nice drives that I saw (one for a high arcing layup and one for a nice wrap-around assist).

Reaction Score
They sat Tyrese a ton too. He really was easily the best player on the floor when he was in. Though Bufkin (sp?) looked better than I expected. It seemed they were trying to run things through Bufkin and Griffin. Martin was mostly the third option on offense, even though he easily outplayed the other two.

Hawkins was a mess the first half, didn't see the second. That team did not pass the ball well at all. Hawkins found himself standing in the corner way too much. He did have two nice drives that I saw (one for a high arcing layup and one for a nice wrap-around assist).

I'm sure it's difficult playing alongside 10-12 guys who realistically have zero chance of making the roster.

Reaction Score
You guys are depressing and negative @f.
Hawkins has been nothing but a bright spot in his showing so far, and I found it very encouraging he found other ways to score when 3 points were not falling for him. His defense and ball handling needs a bit working, but this has to do with his physique and he will get stronger with the nba diet and s/c training.

Reaction Score
Bouk looks like he going through the motions. No energy, no movement, seems completely disinterested. Somebody needs go tell him to wake up.

Reaction Score
You guys are depressing and negative @f.
Hawkins has been nothing but a bright spot in his showing so far, and I found it very encouraging he found other ways to score when 3 points were not falling for him. His defense and ball handling needs a bit working, but this has to do with his physique and he will get stronger with the nba diet and s/c training.

Spot on. This criticism of Hawk is insane. He is doing just fine and New Orleans has to like what they are seeing.

He also played just 28 mins. These summer league games are short.

Reaction Score

Oof, I guess that’s where the box score can be deceiving. Glad he pulled it together in the second half though. Just watched some highlights and he hit a tough clutch midrange jumper to extend their lead as well as a layup with under a minute to officially ice the game

If I'm the NO front office, I'm loving what I'm seeing. Two games in a row now where he's found ways to be able to score despite the jumper not falling. 16 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 3.0 APG on 43% FG despite 25% from 3. For the first two games of his NBA career, I'd say that's solid

Will still need to figure out a way to give a consistent 2 halves, but great start

Reaction Score
Simmons and Russillo put Bouknight on the top of their "I'm worried" list. FWIW

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Bouk looks like he going through the motions. No energy, no movement, seems completely disinterested. Somebody needs go tell him to wake up.
He's had plenty of "wake up calls". What he decides to be, he'll be. If he had half the heart, character, and work ethic of anyone from our last draft class, he likely wouldn't be in the summer league now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Tyrese is a reminder of just how much physicality/strength and versatility matter in the NBA. Especially for bench players. He can really do just about everything pretty well and he's strong enough to be able to guard multiple positions. So many of these young guys are not physically ready for the league.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm still pulling for the guy but what has he done since scoring 40 against Creighton?

Reaction Score
He's had plenty of "wake up calls". What he decides to be, he'll be. If he had half the heart, character, and work ethic of anyone from our last draft class, he likely wouldn't be in the summer league now.

Yeah, I really worry that the drunk, passed out in a car with a gun is going to be foreshadowing how his life may turn out if he doesnt stick around in the NBA (which is doesnt seem to be).

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Yeah, I really worry that the drunk, passed out in a car with a gun is going to be foreshadowing how his life may turn out if he doesnt stick around in the NBA (which is doesnt seem to be).
That screw up needed to be rock bottom and he needed to sharply course correct. What that would have looked like is a fierce dedication to the game, humble approach to everything, and to be able to put the ego away to get coached.

So it's either two things...he didn't do that or he's just not that good. I personally don't think it's #2.

Reaction Score
Tyrese is a reminder of just how much physicality/strength and versatility matter in the NBA. Especially for bench players. He can really do just about everything pretty well and he's strong enough to be able to guard multiple positions. So many of these young guys are not physically ready for the league.
I think he has a chance to make the team this year

Reaction Score
Wemby is going to be a problem....not for other teams, but for his own coaching staff. Sure Summer League is limited practice and prep, but he did not look like had a freaking single clue last night. It was somewhat embarrassing I think. Reminded me of Shawn Bradley's debut when the rhetoric around his game was somewhat equivalent coming out of BYU.

If nothing else the kid is NOT physically ready to play a minute in the NBA. He was getting forced off the block by guys almost a foot shorter than he was. Yes, he changed a few shots and blocked 5. But that's not gonna be enough. You don't hire a dude that size and not expect him to be a force on the block; but time and again when he would wander below the arc the defenders just cut his knees out using their....backsides. That's the downside of 7'3.

Plus he low key slows the offensive pace down just by being on the court. I guess if you're Pop you might not care but I think in today's game it's a huge issue. You play five small vs. Wemby lineups, I think you'll eventually tired him out and will be able to score and shoot at will. And I don't know that I see this improving even if he puts on weight. I saw zero athleticism.

On the other hand what I saw from Scoot was VERY impressive, before he got, cough, 'injured'. That kid has a legit NBA body and is a very instinctive passer. Also Brandon Miller is a stud.

The Spurs may have royally screwed themselves.
So just as I shoot my mouth off he goes for 27, LOL. Figures.

My points of criticism remain. I'm gonna die on this hill until such time as he proves me wrong in the regular season.

Kid's gotta last 82 games, plus eventually (the Spurs hope) playoffs. Anyone think that's gonna be possible viz. 'generational', 15-year career talent?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
So just as I shoot my mouth off he goes for 27, LOL. Figures.

My points of criticism remain. I'm gonna die on this hill until such time as he proves me wrong in the regular season.

Kid's gotta last 82 games, plus eventually (the Spurs hope) playoffs. Anyone think that's gonna be possible viz. 'generational', 15-year career talent?
I’m not a huge NBA fan, but I’ve seen him do some insane things on tape. I think given his unique size and skills, if he stays healthy he will definitely be “one of the best players of his era”.

I also think Hawkins will be a top 3 player from this draft class, but that could just be my UConn bias…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom