NBA playoffs | Page 22 | The Boneyard

NBA playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you think Hakeem's defense was limited to his shot blocking, um... you need to watch some video my man. He's everything you would want from a big.

Kobe was a very good defender. The advanced metrics cut through the hype. Despite his longevity, Kobe is only 45th in Defensive WS and he was only in the Top 15 once for Defensive Rating.

Hakeem is 4th in career defensive Win Shares, led the league multiple times in Defensive Win Shares, Defensive Plus/Minus, and Defensive Rating.

We can have a conversation of Hakeem vs. Kobe (I tend towards Hakeem), but defense is not the argument for Kobe. Give him a million All-Defense selections, I don't care. Watch the games. Since the merger, since Bill Russell, Hakeem is the best defender.
That’s fine. I’m not arguing that Hakeem was a great defender. The poster I was replying too stated that Hakeem has accomplished much more overall than Kobe. I listed many categories where Kobe was better and All defensive teams was just one of them. I’m not hearing any argument for the rest of them.

Reaction Score
MOST PLAYOFF GAMES WITH 30+ PTS, 10+ REB, 5+ AST
  • 49 LeBron James
  • 20 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
  • 19 Larry Bird
  • 18 Nikola Jokic
  • 15 Giannis Antetokounmpo
  • 14 Wilt Chamberlain
  • 14 Elgin Baylor
  • 12 Jayson Tatum
Doesn't even feel like he's playing that well right now tbh.

Reaction Score
Major meltdown for the Mavs on their homecourt, they should've went up 3-1. Awful performance from Doncic.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
All I'll say about Jordan's defense is look at how he turned around the ******* Wizards' defense in the games he played. He was a very good on-ball defender who absolutely gambled more than he needed to because of his elite athleticism. It led to more steals and blocks combined than any other guard (I believe). He wasn't as good a defender as prime-Pippen or prime-Kawhi, but no perimeter defender is.

LeBron only really tried to play defense like one year (2011-2012) and he lead the league in defensive win shares. Tells you about his ceiling, which is up there with any player ever. But, just like how people feel like he was robbed of MVPs...when you look at his regular-season on the court performance...he sort of mailed it in a lot. And his post-season defensive numbers are very good, not great.
Did Lebron mail in regular seasons before his second stint in CLE? I don’t remember that but could be misremembering.

He had to play elite defense on the Heat because their best chance at winning was to do that and be a transition team because him and Wade were a bad fit half court offense wise. Spo had to work magic to find an offense that made it work.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Major meltdown for the Mavs on their homecourt, they should've went up 3-1. Awful performance from Doncic.
His knee has been messing with him most of the playoffs. Can’t remember the last time he had 30. Kyrie has been great, but I have no idea why he hasn’t been more aggressive.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That’s fine. I’m not arguing that Hakeem was a great defender. The poster I was replying too stated that Hakeem has accomplished much more overall than Kobe. I listed many categories where Kobe was better and All defensive teams was just one of them. I’m not hearing any argument for the rest of them.
Personally I’m taking Kobe in the top 10 over the Hakeem’s and even Steph’s.

5 championships will do that. Also he has 2 Finals MVPs (more than Steph and tied with Hakeem).

My list would go

Jordan
Lebron (you can flip these 2 haven’t cared to have a Jordan lebron debate in years)
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Bill
Tim
Shaq
Kobe
Wilt

Reaction Score
Did Lebron mail in regular seasons before his second stint in CLE? I don’t remember that but could be misremembering.

He had to play elite defense on the Heat because their best chance at winning was to do that and be a transition team because him and Wade were a bad fit half court offense wise. Spo had to work magic to find an offense that made it work.
The narrative around the end of his Cleveland stint was that, as great as he was (and he had already been the best player in the league for a few years and won two MVPs), he didn't quite have the defense he would and he needed to add something to his offensive game (people looked towards the post a la Kobe).

He finally got there by his second year in Miami (not that Rose didn't rob an MVP from him that first year). 2012-2018 LeBron was something to behold, particularly in the playoffs, when he started to play full bore.

Reaction Score
5 championships will do that. Also he has 2 Finals MVPs (more than Steph and tied with Hakeem).
Hakeem did more with less than Kobe. Kobe was a clear #2 in the first three titles (though he was clearly a Top 2-3 player by the last one), and while he was the lead player on the 2009-2010 teams, those teams were pretty amazing, depth-wise.

The argument for Hakeem is ultimately he was a better defender and was able to do more with less. Kobe was a better, less efficient, offensive player, though the era was in general far less efficient so it's hard to hold that too much against him. Honestly, I don't think it matters who you pick here. Both takes are reasonable. Imagining Kobe is Top 5 is a bit wild, though. And though Laker fans pick Kobe as their favorite Laker, the best life-long Laker was Magic.

Reaction Score
Personally I’m taking Kobe in the top 10 over the Hakeem’s and even Steph’s.

My list would go

Jordan
Lebron (you can flip these 2 haven’t cared to have a Jordan lebron debate in years)
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Bill
Tim
Shaq
Kobe
Wilt
Finally some common sense.

Thank you good sir.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The narrative around the end of his Cleveland stint was that, as great as he was (and he had already been the best player in the league for a few years and won two MVPs), he didn't quite have the defense he would and he needed to add something to his offensive game (people looked towards the post a la Kobe).

He finally got there by his second year in Miami (not that Rose didn't rob an MVP from him that first year). 2012-2018 LeBron was something to behold, particularly in the playoffs, when he started to play full bore.
Yeah I remember the post convos towards the end of CLE and him hitting up Hakeem in Miami to fix it.

2012-2018 Lebro was pretty much what people talked about with Jordan during his prime. He was absolutely unstoppable come playoff time. Just ran into the greatest team of all time with that KD Warriors team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hakeem did more with less than Kobe. Kobe was a clear #2 in the first three titles (though he was clearly a Top 2-3 player by the last one), and while he was the lead player on the 2009-2010 teams, those teams were pretty amazing, depth-wise.

The argument for Hakeem is ultimately he was a better defender and was able to do more with less. Kobe was a better, less efficient, offensive player, though the era was in general far less efficient so it's hard to hold that too much against him. Honestly, I don't think it matters who you pick here. Both takes are reasonable. Imagining Kobe is Top 5 is a bit wild, though. And though Laker fans pick Kobe as their favorite Laker, the best life-long Laker was Magic.
Agreed on both points. Even as a Kobe hater I find it hard to not give him credits for the 5 rings though. Even with the depth of the 2009-2010 squads they don’t win without him being Kobe. We’re seeing that now with the TWolves and Ant with a team that’s built almost exactly the same way. (Right down to the bigs that were big but had reputations for being soft).

Roster definitely had something to do with it, but it’s like that in a lot of these cases when it comes to these talks. Can’t see how people reasonably put him top 5 though let alone top 3.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
MOST PLAYOFF GAMES WITH 30+ PTS, 10+ REB, 5+ AST
  • 49 LeBron James
  • 20 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
  • 19 Larry Bird
  • 18 Nikola Jokic
  • 15 Giannis Antetokounmpo
  • 14 Wilt Chamberlain
  • 14 Elgin Baylor
  • 12 Jayson Tatum
Doesn't even feel like he's playing that well right now tbh.
9-9 at the line, still not shooting all that well. 4 Turnovers. He can be a lot better than this.

I think some of it is just playing more as a 4 with Porzingis out. He's clearly focused on rebounding. They can't play Al any minutes at the 4. Seemed like he's starting to take it to the rim more, which is good.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
SGA with 34 in a win without a single made shot at the rim or from 3. Masterful.

Tatum seems to be much more aggressive in the mid game as well recently (finally)

Reaction Score
His knee has been messing with him most of the playoffs. Can’t remember the last time he had 30. Kyrie has been great, but I have no idea why he hasn’t been more aggressive.
I know Luka is hurt and not himself but it's the playoffs, you gotta play through it and perform. Kyrie was awful too, the assist #'s were good but he's not there to get 9 points. You can't build up a big lead like that at home and then get no scoring from Doncic or Irving. One of them can be bad but not both of them.

They're getting everything they need from Gaffard and Lively holding down the middle and PJ Washington has been their best player in the series. If either Luka or Kyrie would step up they would have total control of this series. It's Luka's team, he needs to step up.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I know Luka is hurt and not himself but it's the playoffs, you gotta play through it and perform. Kyrie was awful too, the assist #'s were good but he's not there to get 9 points. You can't build up a big lead like that at home and then get no scoring from Doncic or Irving. One of them can be bad but not both of them.

They're getting everything they need from Gaffard and Lively holding down the middle and PJ Washington has been their best player in the series. If either Luka or Kyrie would step up they would have total control of this series. It's Luka's team, he needs to step up.
Don’t want to say Kyrie has been awful. He’s been getting guys involved and playing great defense. No reason he’s only taking 11 shots in a game though. Especially with Luka being hurt the way he is. It’s weird.

Both of their play has been very confusing and I agree if they just played normally it wouldn’t be this close of a series.

Kyrie hasn’t scored 25 yet and Luka only did it once.

Reaction Score
Agreed on both points. Even as a Kobe hater I find it hard to not give him credits for the 5 rings though. Even with the depth of the 2009-2010 squads they don’t win without him being Kobe.
Here’s a fun fact: Over the course of two finals (2008 & 2010), with Ray as the primary defender, Kobe shot 40.5% from the floor, including an all-time godawful 6-for-24 in a game 7.

Kobe being Kobe damn near cost the Lakers that series, which shouldn’t have been close with KG hobbled and Perkins hurt.

Man just had the good fortune of playing for a Mount Rushmore coach and with a pair of hall of fame bigs.

Reaction Score
Here’s a fun fact: Over the course of two finals (2008 & 2010), with Ray as the primary defender, Kobe shot 40.5% from the floor, including an all-time godawful 6-for-24 in a game 7.

Kobe being Kobe damn near cost the Lakers that series, which shouldn’t have been close with KG hobbled and Perkins hurt.

Man just had the good fortune of playing for a Mount Rushmore coach and with a pair of hall of fame bigs.
What did Ray shoot in game 7?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Love the Ray plug and I get it. As a Kobe hater turned appreciater after retirement I argued these points for awhile.

It’s fair to say that Kobe turned Pau into a HOF I believe. He was an All Star big but was very known for being soft at the time. Far from the same as Shaq. As weird as it may be to say, Kobe may actually be better at making the guys around him good in comparison to Lebron.

FWIW, you can say the same thing about Jordan for the last sentence (not bigs by HOF players in general). As a T Mac fan trust me I know the importance of being in the right situation smh

Reaction Score
What did Ray shoot in game 7?
3-for-14 -- as a 35-year-old with bum knees guarding the other team's leading scorer.

And also, nobody's out there saying Ray's a top 10 player of all-time.

Reaction Score
One full season.

Certainly did so in multiple post-seasons.

But the stats don't lie. His regular season defensive stats are mid, despite the fact that when he wanted to defend he was absolutely exceptional.
What stats are you talking about? Please don’t waste my time and bring up blocks and steals. His defensive impact metrics were great in his prime.

Lebron, over the 9 years spanning the 08/09 - 16/17 seasons from the ages of 24 to 32, amassed the following resume:

• An average rank of 6.2 in DPOY voting, having come in 2nd, 4th, 9th, 4th, 2nd, 6th, 13th, 11th, and 5th, in chronological order.
  • 5 all defensive 1st team selections
  • 1 all defensive 2nd team selection
  • He averaged 7.5 RPG, 1.6 SPG, .08 BPG
  • Defensive box plus/minus: 2.1 --- (three highest were 3.7, 2.8, and 2.7)
  • Defensive Win Shares: 39.8
  • Average Defensive Win Shares 4.4 per season ---(three highest were 6.5, 5.3, and 5.2)

His squads had an average rating of:

• 9.8 in the league in defensive rating
  • 7.1 in the league in points allowed

(admittedly an imperfect comparison, as Jordan played with fewer teams and as the league was actively expanding)

He never won a defensive player of the year :

His closest calls were in:

08/09, a season in which Dwight Howard had 105 first place votes to Lebron's 4, landing Lebron in a very distant 2nd place.

12/13 Gasol had 30 first place votes to Lebron's 18, once again landing Lebron in 2nd place. This was certainly his closest call.

And I don’t even like using these accolades/ stats because boxscore stats are not good for defenssive impact. Per BBall-index, since, 2014 (earliest data goes back) LeBron has been in 85 percentile defense.

I get it’s easy to hate LeBron and go with the stupid casual espn/ skip bayless narratives that he doesn’t play defense, but it’s simply not true and couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Reaction Score
What stats are you talking about? Please don’t waste my time and bring up blocks and steals. His defensive impact metrics were great in his prime.

Lebron, over the 9 years spanning the 08/09 - 16/17 seasons from the ages of 24 to 32, amassed the following resume:

• An average rank of 6.2 in DPOY voting, having come in 2nd, 4th, 9th, 4th, 2nd, 6th, 13th, 11th, and 5th, in chronological order.
  • 5 all defensive 1st team selections
  • 1 all defensive 2nd team selection
  • He averaged 7.5 RPG, 1.6 SPG, .08 BPG
  • Defensive box plus/minus: 2.1 --- (three highest were 3.7, 2.8, and 2.7)
  • Defensive Win Shares: 39.8
  • Average Defensive Win Shares 4.4 per season ---(three highest were 6.5, 5.3, and 5.2)

His squads had an average rating of:

• 9.8 in the league in defensive rating
  • 7.1 in the league in points allowed

(admittedly an imperfect comparison, as Jordan played with fewer teams and as the league was actively expanding)

He never won a defensive player of the year :

His closest calls were in:

08/09, a season in which Dwight Howard had 105 first place votes to Lebron's 4, landing Lebron in a very distant 2nd place.

12/13 Gasol had 30 first place votes to Lebron's 18, once again landing Lebron in 2nd place. This was certainly his closest call.

And I don’t even like using these accolades/ stats because boxscore stats are not good for defenssive impact. Per BBall-index, since, 2014 (earliest data goes back) LeBron has been in 85 percentile defense.

I get it’s easy to hate LeBron and go with the stupid casual espn/ skip bayless narratives that he doesn’t play defense, but it’s simply not true and couldn’t be farther from the truth.
I cited the stat in my original post (defensive plus/minus). He was never Top 10 in any advanced metric for defense except the year I cited. He was (2012-2020) a very good defender, and exceptional when he wants to be (playoffs). If he's in the 85 percentile, that means 14% of players are better defenders than him (unless BBall-index has some different meaning of percentiles)...hard to see how that contradicts my point.

Nothing I said regarding LeBron's defense was wrong, and nothing I said went along with the moronic Skip Bayliss narrative. He's certainly the all-around best player I have watched as an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom