Naismith National Player of the Year | The Boneyard

Naismith National Player of the Year

Reaction Score
I didn't know this until I saw the Naismith Tweet about it, but South Carolina is the first school in Naismith Award history to sweep all 3 awards including NCOY as well.

Kind of blows me away tbh. Cannot explain how proud I am of this program.
It's a great testament to what Staley has built and the support the Athletics department has given the program.

Reaction Score
I didn't know this until I saw the Naismith Tweet about it, but South Carolina is the first school in Naismith Award history to sweep all 3 awards including NCOY as well.

Kind of blows me away tbh. Cannot explain how proud I am of this program.

I believe I also read that Boston was the first player to win both National Player and Defensive player of the year awards in the same year!

Reaction Score
I find it odd that they don't have a best offensive player of the year award. My assumption is that the defensive player of the year award was created because those players were not getting recognized in the national player of year award considerations. But I think it would be nice to add that third category. In most years the NPOY and OPOY would probably be the same person but I bet Clark would have won it this year, if such a thing existed. And, I think it would helpr frame the NPOY award as an award that considers both ends of the floor... instead of people automatically defaulting to stats on offense = NPOY.

Reaction Score
I find it odd that they don't have a best offensive player of the year award. My assumption is that the defensive player of the year award was created because those players were not getting recognized in the national player of year award considerations. But I think it would be nice to add that third category. In most years the NPOY and OPOY would probably be the same person but I bet Clark would have won it this year, if such a thing existed. And, I think it would helpr frame the NPOY award as an award that considers both ends of the floor... instead of people automatically defaulting to stats on offense = NPOY.
Love this idea!

Reaction Score
Dawn was also named COY by The Women's Basketball Coach's Association and Aliyah was awarded The Wade Trophy. I just saw those two awards listed a few minutes ago when looking at the GamecockWBB IG account. I wasn't aware of those 2 awards having been presented to Dawn and Aliyah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom