Naismith Awards | The Boneyard

Naismith Awards

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bringing this from the general board:
Naismith awards for DPOY have been announced: Natasha Mack from OK St wins.
In a surprise (and maybe a local paper jumping the gun in error) the women's COY which was supposed to be announced tomorrow is Tara. Well deserved I think.
Curious to see if the POY will also be announced today rather than tomorrow as scheduled.
This is from the Naismith site 'key dates':
Naismith Women's College DPOY WinnerApril 2, 2021
Naismith Women’s College COYWinnerApril 3, 2021
Naismith Women’s College POYWinnerApril 3, 2021

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am wondering if the award winners are revealed to the winners prior to the announcement but the recipients cannot reveal the winners prior to the announcement.
Isn't this what happened for Paige's AP POY? It was awarded to her last Monday but not revealed until Wednesday, right?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am wondering if the award winners are revealed to the winners prior to the announcement but the recipients cannot reveal the winners prior to the announcement.
Isn't this what happened for Paige's AP POY? It was awarded to her last Monday but not revealed until Wednesday, right?
I suspect this is what happened. Someone in the Pac12 office wrote the announcement and instead of saving it for release tomorrow, accidentally posted it instead. I think we have seen this happen with some awards before. Lots of people know before the announcement and sometimes someone screws up and it gets out.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can't believe that Geno was not one of the finalists for this award. He took a team that lost the two top players last year, only 4 players that even played in a UConn game on the team. Had at first 6 Freshman and a RS Junior, now its 7 Freshman who had never played a game at UConn and had two of those as starters from the beginning. What does he do, he has the team play thru all the obstacles of COVID, injuries, and molds them into the #1 rated team in the nation. Don't get me wrong I think Tara deserved winning it and did a great job handling the COVID issues, especially the nine weeks on the road because of the ban on basketball by Santa Clara County and had many if not more obstacles than most other coaches. I just find it hard to believe that he wasn't a finalist considering what he had when the season started.

Reaction Score
What Geno had when the season started? He had two players ranked as the best players in their class, another who was the #2 in her class, and another who was 4th in hers. By the definition of most programs, Geno came into the season with a loaded team talent wise.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I can't believe that Geno was not one of the finalists for this award. He took a team that lost the two top players last year, only 4 players that even played in a UConn game on the team. Had at first 6 Freshman and a RS Junior, now its 7 Freshman who had never played a game at UConn and had two of those as starters from the beginning. What does he do, he has the team play thru all the obstacles of COVID, injuries, and molds them into the #1 rated team in the nation. Don't get me wrong I think Tara deserved winning it and did a great job handling the COVID issues, especially the nine weeks on the road because of the ban on basketball by Santa Clara County and had many if not more obstacles than most other coaches. I just find it hard to believe that he wasn't a finalist considering what he had when the season started.

Geno's done a great job this season, but the cupboard wasn't as bare as your post insinuates. Williams and ONO were returning double digit scorers, Makurat another returning starter, Westbrook was a standout transfer and former #2 recruit, and their incoming #1 recruit was the best collegiate player in the country from day 1. Geno did a great job of molding this team together and I dont disagree that he could've been a finalist, but he had a stacked roster from day 1.

Reaction Score
don't get why these coaches who win COY are from the schools who get the best recruits (Md., Stanford, UConn). seems to me that coaches like Arrico at Michigan, Barnes at Arizona, Duffy at Marquette, and Moren at Indiana have done great jobs with lots less talent.

Reaction Score
don't get why these coaches who win COY are from the schools who get the best recruits (Md., Stanford, UConn). seems to me that coaches like Arrico at Michigan, Barnes at Arizona, Duffy at Marquette, and Moren at Indiana have done great jobs with lots less talent.

Kinda depends on how you define the coaching job. First, recruiting is part of coaching. Second, improving talent is always a challenge, regardless of the level of talent. I understand your point, but it can't just be teams with less talent who's coaches get recognized. Otherwise Pat, Geno and Tara would never be coach of the year.

Reaction Score
Kinda depends on how you define the coaching job. First, recruiting is part of coaching. Second, improving talent is always a challenge, regardless of the level of talent. I understand your point, but it can't just be teams with less talent who's coaches get recognized. Otherwise Pat, Geno and Tara would never be coach of

Reaction Score
C'mon , it rarely is anyone other than Geno, Tara, Muffet, Dawn, or Kim. In the last 20-some years the only "rarities" are Sue Semrau at Florida St. and Yori at Nebraska.

Reaction Score
What Geno had when the season started? He had two players ranked as the best players in their class, another who was the #2 in her class, and another who was 4th in hers. By the definition of most programs, Geno came into the season with a loaded team talent wise.
And Tara didn't?????????????????????????

Reaction Score
Geno's done a great job this season, but the cupboard wasn't as bare as your post insinuates. Williams and ONO were returning double digit scorers, Makurat another returning starter, Westbrook was a standout transfer and former #2 recruit, and their incoming #1 recruit was the best collegiate player in the country from day 1. Geno did a great job of molding this team together and I dont disagree that he could've been a finalist, but he had a stacked roster from day 1.
So I guess Tara had a bunch of Division 2 prospects.

Reaction Score
I don't think Stanford has 4 top 5 players and half of the country's #1 recruits in their starting lineup.

and Stanford is very underrepresented in all the individual awards given out this year which goes to show Tara has done a great job with her team to be the favorite to win it all.

Reaction Score
I don't think Stanford has 4 top 5 players and half of the country's #1 recruits in their starting lineup.
Belibi, Jones and Brink off the top of my head and I'll bet I can find another in there if I look. Your point was that UConn's talent level precluded a COY award. OK, I'll accept that. But do you then give the award to the coach with the second or third most talent? You a tree hugger?:)
Tara, for all the talk about Stanford's standards has been one of the top recruiting programs for decades. Many many of UConn's targets signed with Stanford.

Reaction Score
Belibi, Jones and Brink off the top of my head and I'll bet I can find another in there if I look. Your point was that UConn's talent level precluded a COY award. OK, I'll accept that. But do you then give the award to the coach with the second or third most talent? You a tree hugger?:)
Tara, for all the talk about Stanford's standards has been one of the top recruiting programs for decades. Many many of UConn's targets signed with Stanford.

And to be clear I have no issue with Tara getting the award.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more! well said!

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget she beat Pat Summit’s long standing record this year. She also had to keep her team on the road for a long time. Despite that adversity, the team has done very well. Kudos to Tara!

Nothing to diminish what Geno has done. He will win Again in the years ahead.

Reaction Score
C'mon , it rarely is anyone other than Geno, Tara, Muffet, Dawn, or Kim. In the last 20-some years the only "rarities" are Sue Semrau at Florida St. and Yori at Nebraska.

You just named the five best coaches in the game.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So I guess Tara had a bunch of Division 2 prospects.
I didn't say or insinuate anything about Tara. Just stated that UCONN wasn't some rags to riches story as the poster suggested.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Not at all true:

2019 Lisa Bluder
2018 Vic Schaefer
2015 Courtney Banghart
2007 Gail Goestenkors
2006 Sylvia Hatchell
2005 Pokey Chatman
2004 Pat Summitt
2003 Gail Goestenkors

Dawn and Kim have only won once, Tara and Muffet have each won twice in the last 20 years. Semrau has never won Naismith.

Reaction Score
Stanford went 70 days between home games. This one is a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
UConn was preseason #3 and finished #1 in the final regular season AP poll. Stanford was preseason #2 and finished #2 in the final AP poll. Obviously navigating the pandemic and the special circumstances surrounding that for Stanford had an impact on the perceived quality of Tara's work this year. That being said, a lot of teams had difficult circumstances. Another data point is she became the all time winningest coach this year, that counts for something.

Typically this award goes to the coach that has the best performance to expectation ratio. And this year I think that's probably Maryland and Frese. Otherwise I think you can make an argument for Geno any year his team finish #1.

Reaction Score
Stanford went 70 days between home games. This one is a no-brainer.

Look, you started this by saying Geno didn't deserve it because of his talent level and I pointed to Stanford's talent level, which if not the best is top 2 or 3. Suddenly you want to change the subject?
It looks to me like you have a double standard here.

Reaction Score
Bringing this from the general board:
Naismith awards for DPOY have been announced: Natasha Mack from OK St wins.
In a surprise (and maybe a local paper jumping the gun in error) the women's COY which was supposed to be announced tomorrow is Tara. Well deserved I think.
Curious to see if the POY will also be announced today rather than tomorrow as scheduled.
This is from the Naismith site 'key dates':
Naismith Women's College DPOYWinnerApril 2, 2021
Naismith Women’s College COYWinnerApril 3, 2021
Naismith Women’s College POYWinnerApril 3, 2021

Not at all true:

2019 Lisa Bluder
2018 Vic Schaefer
2015 Courtney Banghart
2007 Gail Goestenkors
2006 Sylvia Hatchell
2005 Pokey Chatman
2004 Pat Summitt
2003 Gail Goestenkors

Dawn and Kim have only won once, Tara and Muffet have each won twice in the last 20 years. Semrau has never won Naismith.
I was looking at the WCBA awards, not the Naismith. Good to see Banghart and Bluder being recognized.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom