My Thoughts on the Offseason for UConn Football | The Boneyard

My Thoughts on the Offseason for UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cant blame him for working hard to find some rays of goodness. I'm ever hopeful that a substantially improved team will hit the field, but that is something that is in the hands of HCBD.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is no reason not to be anything but positive until we struggle to beat Nova. I'm not even contemplating losing to Nova, right Bob? I'll hold off on the real worrying until we struggle to beat Army, cause we should beat Army handily, right Bob?

Btw, those looking to travel to Columbia, I can't. The best deal looks to fly into St. Louis and make the 3.5 hour drive. Tickets are cheap.

Reaction Score
My take on off season:
  • Really, really disappointed that the McQuillan situation turned out like it did. Thought that coulda/shoulda been salvageable but obviously there was more behind the scenes that pushed Diaco & Co to the point of just letting go on this kid. Too bad.
  • The QB situation..... is just as big a question mark as it has been for the last couple years. No one has emerged as the true #1...the leader. I remember when McCummings was supposed to come to the rescue as a dual threat, according to the rumor mill. This spring it was supposed to be the kid from NC State Sherrifs and to be honest, even though the Spring Game is just a glorified practice, he didn't really light it up for me with Boyle and Davis looking like not ready for prime time at best. So now everyone waits to see if Anderson will be the Messiah. Somebody has to take the reigns at that position for the sake of the rest of the offense never mind the fans.
  • Civil Conflict??? All that accomplished was to make sure UCF is wide awake and not caught overlooking the Huskies when they meet this year. I can understand Diaco wanting to generate a buzz, it looks to be in his nature but as of June 2015 talk is cheap and it's time to walk the walk. Cut the pranks, win some games. That's the best promotion of this program you could possibly ask for.
  • Recruiting: So far a QB and receiver/safety. Until they are in a game playing...who knows. I want to see what Verducci, Cummings and Diaco recruit as far as O-linemen. That was by far the weakest link last year and should be priority numero uno if this offense expects to compete with Power 5 schools which should be the ultimate goal of this program.
  • Nice to see Syracuse scheduled. Lets see Pitt, WVU and of course BC. Will UConn ever be able to get Penn St, which is closer than Pitt and comparably as close to Storrs as Syracuse, on the schedule? That's the only D-1 school in the North East UConn hasn't played.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There is no reason not to be anything but positive until we struggle to beat Nova. I'm not even contemplating losing to Nova, right Bob? I'll hold off on the real worrying until we struggle to beat Army, cause we should beat Army handily, right Bob?

Btw, those looking to travel to Columbia, I can't. The best deal looks to fly into St. Louis and make the 3.5 hour drive. Tickets are cheap.

We're flying into Kansas City to do a Chiefs/Broncos Thursday night deal then drive from KC to Columbia on Saturday morning. Been told by friends who live out there that it's about a 2 hour drive.

Reaction Score
My take on off season:
  • Really, really disappointed that the McQuillan situation turned out like it did. Thought that coulda/shoulda been salvageable but obviously there was more behind the scenes that pushed Diaco & Co to the point of just letting go on this kid. Too bad.
  • The QB situation..... is just as big a question mark as it has been for the last couple years. No one has emerged as the true #1...the leader. I remember when McCummings was supposed to come to the rescue as a dual threat, according to the rumor mill. This spring it was supposed to be the kid from NC State Sherrifs and to be honest, even though the Spring Game is just a glorified practice, he didn't really light it up for me with Boyle and Davis looking like not ready for prime time at best. So now everyone waits to see if Anderson will be the Messiah. Somebody has to take the reigns at that position for the sake of the rest of the offense never mind the fans.
  • Civil Conflict??? All that accomplished was to make sure UCF is wide awake and not caught overlooking the Huskies when they meet this year. I can understand Diaco wanting to generate a buzz, it looks to be in his nature but as of June 2015 talk is cheap and it's time to walk the walk. Cut the pranks, win some games. That's the best promotion of this program you could possibly ask for.
  • Recruiting: So far a QB and receiver/safety. Until they are in a game playing...who knows. I want to see what Verducci, Cummings and Diaco recruit as far as O-linemen. That was by far the weakest link last year and should be priority numero uno if this offense expects to compete with Power 5 schools which should be the ultimate goal of this program.
  • Nice to see Syracuse scheduled. Lets see Pitt, WVU and of course BC. Will UConn ever be able to get Penn St, which is closer than Pitt and comparably as close to Storrs as Syracuse, on the schedule? That's the only D-1 school in the North East UConn hasn't played.
Last game against cuse didn't go so well.... Give them credit for scheduling uconn. Could easily have said no thanks.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe that quarterback has been so unsettled for so long. I don't get why really. You'd almost think it's a curse of some kind. Except for a brief 3 game stint in 2013 it has been years since we've even gotten mediocre play out of that position. How many would take Lorenzen right now no questions asked?

Reaction Score
Hard to believe that quarterback has been so unsettled for so long. I don't get why really. You'd almost think it's a curse of some kind. Except for a brief 3 game stint in 2013 it has been years since we've even gotten mediocre play out of that position. How many would take Lorenzen right now no questions asked?
If CC didn't get hurt I think it would've been settled.. my opinion....

Reaction Score
If CC didn't get hurt I think it would've been settled.. my opinion....
He would have still needed a O-line. If Whitmer had an O-line how different would things have been?

Reaction Score
He would have still needed a O-line. If Whitmer had an O-line how different would things have been?

We probably would have witnessed a lot of late game meltdowns in close/r games.

Reaction Score
I've boiled my expectations down to 3 variables.

1. The performance of a new OC who will have to evaluate players, turn around an offense and contribute to game strategy which seemed woefully misguided at times last year.

2. Accelerated development of the offensive line both physical and mental. Faster, stronger, less mistakes. They must find areas where they can excel as a unit.

3. A defined leader behind center who can make good decisions and occasionally make something out of nothing but more often avoid something horrible. This also loops back to the OC whose systems and philosophy need to get the most out of our new QB and developing talented backfield (within the development of #2 above).

I say this believing the defense will be better and our kicking game will be solid as well. And I expect HCBD has had time to go over his approach to last season and has completed most of the experimenting that had so many fans aggravated and confused. Hopefully he'll have the confidence to let Coach Verducci take over most of the reigns (and most of the heat) on that side of the ball.

For now it's wait and see as to how this shakes out. As a fan I'm excited to see it. But we're carrying the baggage of disappointment over the last few years that has to make you nervous about how far we'll have to go to regain respect as a competitive and well prepared football team. And given the circumstances, the Villanova game may be the most important season opener this team has ever played. That's a tough pill to swallow but let's see if they can make an early statement about going in the right direction.

Reaction Score
In the Spring game we had Carrezola, Stapelton, and Summers lined up on the left edge. All 3 saw time as frosh. Summers particularly was thrown to the wolves with Byron's injury. He looked like he had gained some weight to me and this should help him have a greater impact. See big improvement from him. Carrezola did not look like a frosh when he was in and Stapelton should be ready to have an impact. The 2014 roster shuffle getting young players in should start to pay off this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom