My most frustrating season as a fan what was yours? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My most frustrating season as a fan what was yours?

Reaction Score
I'm a younger fan so I'm going to go with more recent teams. However I just don't think teams like 06 team can be frustrating. I was more devastated when that they lost to George Mason then frustrated.

Teams I think that were the most frustrating would be 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, and 2021. All those teams had talent but never won big games or got over the hump.
I agree but didn't feel confident with team in 2006 going into the Tournament something seemed to be off. Not playing their best basketball at that time, like they had earlier. I mean lucky to get out the Albany game. And aside I lossed UCONN fans down here in FL over WA Huskies game. We were getting torched by Brandon Roy the whole first half, these "fans" said we were playing ok repeatedly.
Stolen balls, throwing ball away, missing shots it was a rough first half; we didn't take care of rock. I met them down here a group of 5 people but I couldn't take them seriously cause we stunk. Moved away from table at BW3s to watch alone in my misery. I know miraculously our talent took over and we won.

Reaction Score
2014-2015 Boat's senior year. He had no support and the team seemed very disjointed. Coming off of our Championship, this season started our skid. DHam (not Purvis) was arguably our 2nd best player and he was a freshman. Team wasn't very exciting and sadly played like they belonged in the AAC. Missed the post season, which added more frustration to the season.

15 losses were just part of it, the big issue to me was Boat's swan song was not a hit. Loved that kid and he deserved better.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
2012, and it ain't even close for me.
9 deep!
2011-12 UConn Huskies Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)
in hindsight, prolly should've known that something wasn't right after 8-10 conference record, where the average score penciled out to 65.6 to 65.4.
ugh...
That team had so much talent it's not even funny. Not just a frustrating year, but maybe the weirdest year as a fan. It was like the dark cloud rolling in signaling the end of the Calhoun era.

Still to this day.... WTF happened to that team? I think it was a combination of -- Bazz, Drummond, Boat, Daniels were all too young. Lamb was probably the most talented player on the team, but was sort of mentally checked out to the NBA perhaps. And Oriakhi was bothered by the Drummond thing? Oh yeah, and the impending violations/post-season ban. Just an unfortunate mix of issues. Calhoun seemingly couldn't get through to some of those guys and he accepted that fact.

But regardless, the talent alone should make that a top 10-15 team in the country and a sweet 16 team, at the very least.

There were those 3 games in a row in the middle of the season where we lost by 3 points or less in each game. The wheels kind of just came off.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’ve watched almost every game for the past 20 years outside of 2017-18. I stopped watching

Reaction Score
2015-16. In hindsight it all makes sense now but was so frustrating at the time seeing that team waste all the talent
This is a great answer.

It's a low-key disappointing year because we ended up winning the AACT and won an NCAAT game, but that team had top-15 talent yet played most of the year near the bubble.

When evaluating KO's tenure and when we should have gotten rid of him, a lot of people say "but 2016", but we really should be saying "and 2016". That year presaged the demise of the program over the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
2010 is a good sleeper call I believe tgat team was top 5 ( could be wrong but it’s close)during ooc before Bigeast season in January and wheels fell off.
The 2010 team was in the top 25, beat #1 Texas, and still managed to fall off a cliff and miss the Tournament despite (I believe) two other top 10 wins against Nova and WVU.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The 2010 team was in the top 25, beat #1 Texas, and still managed to fall off a cliff and miss the Tournament despite (I believe) two other top 10 wins against Nova and WVU.
That was a fake #1 Texas, they lost a couple before that.

But that’s besides the point- that remains maybe my favorite Gampel game ever. Then Texas fans were pissed we stormed the court. That was a disappointing year, thought we had some talent that year. Soph Kemba off the bench.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t really have one. But the 1998-99 season was both amazing, joyous and bitterswwet. I was in California at the time. I recall meeting a law school friend of mine who went to Iowa undergrad at a bar to watch the Iowa game. But the 1999 NC game I watched alone. Nobody to celebrate with. No UConn fans around. Few people who even cared about college hoops at all. There may have been some alumni, but the www was not what it is now. About six months later I moved back to New England. Never again.

Reaction Score
Has to be KO’s last season. Gampel was empty, the team was horrible and it really felt like the end of UConn basketball. The combination of the Hurley hire and the move back to the Big East saved us. I’m not sure we could get back to what we are used to if we stayed in the AAC. I didn’t want to admit that to myself then but it was really bad.

Reaction Score
I would have to go with 2006. The team was clearly talented, but clearly had checked out mentally.

Also, 19-20, and the way Covid ended everything. My heart kind of broke for Vital, and being within sight of tourney action and it all comes to a screeching halt. He deserved better.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I have been around UConn basketball for a long time. My most frustrating season goes way back. It was the 1980-81 season. Yes, the decade of the 80s that saw UConn not make an NCAA Tournament appearance. Here is what happened:

8 man rotation:

Corny Thompson
Chuck Alexsinus
Mike Mckay
Vernon Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Norman Bailey
Bruce Kuczenski
Glenn Miller

This team had a lot of potential for the time period. We had the size, the shooters, the athleticism. Perhaps what held us back was our starting guards were both freshmen. The season started with grand expectations, and the team delivered. UConn was 11-0 which included a blowout win vs Syracuse. The stage was set for what looked like an NCAA Tournament bid, and perhaps a bit of a run.

The losses were so painful. The regular season saw us at 19-5 and 8-4 in the Big East. The 5 losses?

BC by 1
Vill by 4
URI by 3
BC by 5
St.J by 7

All 5 losses were painfully close. We had 2 games left and the finish was even more painful. We lost to Villanova by 1 and Georgetown by 2!

That left us at 19-7 and 8-6 in the Big East, needing to do some damage in the Big East Tournament. Those 7 losses saw 5 occur by 4 points or fewer. In a perfect world what if we won them all and went 24-2? What if we won just 3 of them we could have been 22-4. there was such a fine line to the way that season played out. Ultimately we lost the first game of the Big East Tournament and went 1-1 in the NIT to finish 20-9. The team shot 51.6% for the season and was arguably our best shooting team in my memory. The top 6 scorers all shot 77.5% or better from the line, and as a team, we shot 78.2%. I went to most if not all the home games split between Storrs, New Haven, and Hartford. For me, it was by far my most frustrating season as a UConn fan, because we were very good, but ultimately a pair of freshmen guards, who performed admirably didn't have the experience to close games.

What was your most frustrating season?
Thank you for this history. Good stuff. My hs coach loved Corny Thompson and Mike McKay. I moved to Ct. in the early 80's so didn't know much about them. But my coach was a huge fan. Told me Thompson was one of the most dominant hs players he had ever seen.

What was the New Haven site for the home games?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
2012 for me.

Heading into the season: Defending champs, Andre Drummond late commit making it 3-5 incoming recruiting class, Preseason #4 team.

What followed: Ryan Boatright’s NCAA troubles, Jim Calhoun’s health issues, Mumu debacle, started 12-1 but then went 8-13 once the calendar flipped to 2012. Then following that, APR ban for the next season, mass transfers, Jim Calhoun retirement.

blech.
Mumu debacle?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
2012 for me. Hurley’s first season was actually very frustrating too. Akok on campus but not able to play. Horrible injury luck with Adams and then Gilbert. A bunch of close losses, crazy buzzer beater loss vs Wichita state. The team was trying so hard and just coming up short but a few nice breaks and it wouldve been a 20 win season
I remember that WSU loss. Due to the curse of "Joey Brackets". We were up and playing well and needed that game to keep the season afloat. Lunardi comes on and begins yammin on and on and in the background things are falling apart for us and the Shockers are coming back. By the time Lunardi's off we were fighting for our lives eventually losing on a well contested running shot while fading to the baseline. Pain. Thanks Joey brackets.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
That team had so much talent it's not even funny. Not just a frustrating year, but maybe the weirdest year as a fan. It was like the dark cloud rolling in signaling the end of the Calhoun era.

Still to this day.... happened to that team? I think it was a combination of -- Bazz, Drummond, Boat, Daniels were all too young. Lamb was probably the most talented player on the team, but was sort of mentally checked out to the NBA perhaps. And Oriakhi was bothered by the Drummond thing? Oh yeah, and the impending violations/post-season ban. Just an unfortunate mix of issues. Calhoun seemingly couldn't get through to some of those guys and he accepted that fact.

But regardless, the talent alone should make that a top 10-15 team in the country and a sweet 16 team, at the very least.

There were those 3 games in a row in the middle of the season where we lost by 3 points or less in each game. The wheels kind of just came off.
That season was weird. So much offensive talent seemingly, yet the offensive struggles were real. Looked like guys were counting their teammates shots that year. It had that kind of strange vibe.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Has to be KO’s last season. Gampel was empty, the team was horrible and it really felt like the end of UConn basketball. The combination of the Hurley hire and the move back to the Big East saved us. I’m not sure we could get back to what we are used to if we stayed in the AAC. I didn’t want to admit that to myself then but it was really bad.
Yea that’s my thinking as well. I was going to go with some standard answer like 2006 or 2012 but that was rock bottom. I completely stopped watching. If I’m not watching than no one is watching because I’m about as big of a fan as you can possibly be. It did feel like the end of UConn basketball. Bad conference, bad team, no one at the games. Hurley had a total rebuild project on his hands when he took over. It wasn’t a minor one.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
17-18 season. Felt like the bottom was falling out of the program with no return in sight. Initially I thought we could remain nationally relevant in the AAC, but this was the year I gave up that belief. We got smoked this year - often. Attendance was way down. Moral at the games and amongst my friends who are UConn fans was awful. I believe this was prior to our planned BE return so it seemed like there was no hope in sight.

Reaction Score
I have been around UConn basketball for a long time. My most frustrating season goes way back. It was the 1980-81 season. Yes, the decade of the 80s that saw UConn not make an NCAA Tournament appearance. Here is what happened:

8 man rotation:

Corny Thompson
Chuck Alexsinus
Mike Mckay
Vernon Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Norman Bailey
Bruce Kuczenski
Glenn Miller

This team had a lot of potential for the time period. We had the size, the shooters, the athleticism. Perhaps what held us back was our starting guards were both freshmen. The season started with grand expectations, and the team delivered. UConn was 11-0 which included a blowout win vs Syracuse. The stage was set for what looked like an NCAA Tournament bid, and perhaps a bit of a run.

The losses were so painful. The regular season saw us at 19-5 and 8-4 in the Big East. The 5 losses?

BC by 1
Vill by 4
URI by 3
BC by 5
St.J by 7

All 5 losses were painfully close. We had 2 games left and the finish was even more painful. We lost to Villanova by 1 and Georgetown by 2!

That left us at 19-7 and 8-6 in the Big East, needing to do some damage in the Big East Tournament. Those 7 losses saw 5 occur by 4 points or fewer. In a perfect world what if we won them all and went 24-2? What if we won just 3 of them we could have been 22-4. there was such a fine line to the way that season played out. Ultimately we lost the first game of the Big East Tournament and went 1-1 in the NIT to finish 20-9. The team shot 51.6% for the season and was arguably our best shooting team in my memory. The top 6 scorers all shot 77.5% or better from the line, and as a team, we shot 78.2%. I went to most if not all the home games split between Storrs, New Haven, and Hartford. For me, it was by far my most frustrating season as a UConn fan, because we were very good, but ultimately a pair of freshmen guards, who performed admirably didn't have the experience to close games.

What was your most frustrating season?
The year we lost to George Mason.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The year we lost to George Mason.
I was there. A total road game. Up 13 at half. Needed a Denham Brown miracle to force OT. That team was absolutely loaded. 6 draft picks I believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom