OT: - My avatar | The Boneyard

OT: My avatar

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
@CL82 asked who the woman in my avatar is. Rather than divert that thread onto a new topic, I’m starting a separate one

Hedy Lamarr. Beautiful women are often underestimated, especially decades ago

Biography – Hedy Lamarr

As if being a beautiful, talented actress was not enough, Hedy was also a gifted mathematician, scientist, and innovator. Alongside the famed composer George Antheil, Lamarr patented the "Secret Communication System" during World War II. Her idea - now referred to as "frequency hopping" - pertained to a way for radio guidance transmitters and torpedo's receivers to jump simultaneously from frequency to frequency. The Hollywood star's invention sought to put an end to enemies' interception of classified military strategies, signals, and messages. While the technology of the time prevented the feasibility of "frequency hopping" at first, the advent of the transistor and its later downsizing propelled Lamarr's idea far in both the military and the cell phone industry.

Overall, the Hollywood actress introduced the technology that would serve as the foundation of modern-day WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth communication systems. Her creation of "frequency hopping," which holds an estimated worth of $30 billion, led her to receive the Pioneer Award of the Electronic Frontier Foundation as well as the Invention Convention's Bulbie Gnass Spirit of Achievement Award.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Admittedly, some of your avatars are lost on me. Not this one. I know who Hedy Lamarr was. :cool: She appeared in many of the film noir movies I like and have watched. A very intelligent woman who was much more than just a pretty face.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gal Gadot has been working on a limited series on Hedy Lamarr's life for a number of years. Here is a article from three years ago. My guess is that it was stalled by Covid.

And here she is talking about it with Conan a few years ago:

Reaction Score
@CL82 asked who the woman in my avatar is. Rather than divert that thread onto a new topic, I’m starting a separate one

Hedy Lamarr. Beautiful women are often underestimated, this was especially true decades ago

Biography – Hedy Lamarr

As if being a beautiful, talented actress was not enough, Hedy was also a gifted mathematician, scientist, and innovator. Alongside the famed composer George Antheil, Lamarr patented the "Secret Communication System" during World War II. Her idea - now referred to as "frequency hopping" - pertained to a way for radio guidance transmitters and torpedo's receivers to jump simultaneously from frequency to frequency. The Hollywood star's invention sought to put an end to enemies' interception of classified military strategies, signals, and messages. While the technology of the time prevented the feasibility of "frequency hopping" at first, the advent of the transistor and its later downsizing propelled Lamarr's idea far in both the military and the cell phone industry.

Overall, the Hollywood actress introduced the technology that would serve as the foundation of modern-day WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth communication systems. Her creation of "frequency hopping," which holds an estimated worth of $30 billion, led her to receive the Pioneer Award of the Electronic Frontier Foundation as well as the Invention Convention's Bulbie Gnass Spirit of Achievement Award.
how do you even set your avatar? my blue G is kinda boring...lol

Reaction Score
Excellent choice of an avatar. I have seen that documentary. But I don't think I would have correctly guessed who the avatar was. What an interesting life she led.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
how do you even set your avatar? my blue G is kinda boring...lol
In the upper, right side of your screen you can see your name tap on your phone/tablet or click on it. You’ll see your G and the word Edit. Tap or click on Edit. You canNOT use a link, your photo needs to reside on your phone/tablet/computer.

If you need more help, let me know

B5901A25-37C3-408D-BD64-41BA7F2E74A0.jpeg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I am glad you started this thread. I had wanted to comment on it. I knew immediately who she was. Not pretty but beautiful. One of the best-looking women ever to grace the movie screen. Gadot does not come close to looking as good as she did. Not a good choice to play her, imo. Some of your other avatars were not familiar to me.

Reaction Score
I am glad you started this thread. I had wanted to comment on it. I knew immediately who she was. Not pretty but beautiful. One of the best-looking women ever to grace the movie screen. Gadot does not come close to looking as good as she did. Not a good choice to play her, imo. Some of your other avatars were not familiar to me.

Naw, Gal Gadot is a good choice to play..... anything. :D

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Biography – Hedy Lamarr

It's Hedley! Hedley!

Meyers beat me to it!

Reaction Score
We used Hedy Lamars technology in the devices we deployed all over South Viet Nam, North Viet Nam, the Ho Chi Min Trail, Cambodia and Laos. We programmed, tested and deployed these devices which gave us important information. Then it when on beyond into Satellite Technology eventually becoming a commercial product providing specific commodities for the public.

Reaction Score

Biography – Hedy Lamarr

Hedy certainly was a woman who could have been described as 'renaissance.' Best to me, beyond just being a stunning person to look at, she was among those during the Nazi era who abstained from linking herself to Hitler & Co.

Keep 'em coming, Nan. I always enjoy seeing your selections.

Reaction Score
Hedy Lamarr was far more than just a pretty face - a truly amazing and fascinating person (not just woman)
My favorite film of hers was “Samson and Delilah”, great cast (Victor Mature, Angela Lansbury, Henry Wilcoxon) and musical score, but she dominated the film with her performance. She had a brilliant mind to go with her marvelous looks, and as another poster already said “was a true patriot “.

She is attracted some notoriety as an 18 year old when she appeared in “Ecstasy” in 1932. Even there you could say she tried doing something so unconventional 50 years before it became common place in films.

Reaction Score
A short but very good video on Hedy Lamarr and her tremendous mind.

Working with Howard Hughes, I love how her mind grasped the efficiency needed to improve aircraft aerodynamics:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
From Today's FB post:

Hedy Lamarr is often proclaimed “the most beautiful woman in the world.” The 26-year-old Lamarr was thriving in Hollywood when, in September 1940, Nazi U-boats hunted down & sank a cruise ship trying to evacuate 90 British schoolchildren to Canada. 77 drowned in the bleak North Atlantic. Lamarr, a Jewish immigrant from Nazi-occupied Austria, who had been making America her home since 1938, was outraged. She fought back by applying her engineering skills to developing a sonar sub-locator used in the Atlantic for the benefit of the Allies. The principles of her work are now incorporated into modern Wi-Fi, CDMA, and Bluetooth technology, and this work led to her being inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014.

1687564540534.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Being a geek, I've known about Ms Lamarr's contributions for many years.

Sadly there are many Nobel Prizes that women should have shared, but their contributions were minimized by their male team leaders. There are a couple of women whom I'd assumed had won prizes but I learned they didn't.

On a positive note, I've attended several classical concerts in the last couple of years, all of which have had pieces by women and Black composers. Some of these have been new, but some date back to the 19th century. These have been highlight pieces as far as my wife and I have been concerned. Way better than a mediocre rendition of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto. I'm hoping that the injection of some new material will maybe draw some new (read: younger) people to these concerts.

Reaction Score
A documentary of her life is now available on NETFLIX

Yes, I watched it. Parts of it were very sad but it was extremely interesting. Incredible mind and a patriot. The show said that in today's dollars she raised about 300 million dollars for the war effort. This was after the U.S. Navy and National Inventors Council deep sixed her frequency hopping idea that the show said is a basis for Bluetooth, GPS, etc. She never received anything for her invention since she allowed by mistake her patent rights to elapse. She was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame posthumously.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom