OT: - MSU player charged w/ assault | The Boneyard

OT: MSU player charged w/ assault

Reaction Score
MSU player Brock Washington charged with assault.

Honestly, how is Tom Izzo still coaching? I feel like with all the allegations going on and how serious they are (covering up rape/assault) that at the very least the school would take some sort of action to protect the integrity of the program.
I feel like if this was UConn the head coach would be fired no matter who it was. Am I missing something here? Help me understand.
I’m just sick of seeing corruption and immoral behavior being defended at other institutions without any consequences. Especially as UConn has been an institution that takes responsibility.

OTL: MSU hoops player charged with assault

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
MSU player Brock Washington charged with assault.

Honestly, how is Tom Izzo still coaching? I feel like with all the allegations going on and how serious they are (covering up rape/assault) that at the very least the school would take some sort of action to protect the integrity of the program.
I feel like if this was UConn the head coach would be fired no matter who it was. Am I missing something here? Help me understand.
I’m just sick of seeing corruption and immoral behavior being defended at other institutions without any consequences. Especially as UConn has been an institution that takes responsibility.

OTL: MSU hoops player charged with assault

Your missing that Sports> everything else... If you are making money for the NCAA they look the other way. Look at UNC, Arizona etc etc

Reaction Score
Something is clearly terribly wrong there and if it results in cleaning out the entire athletic department, so be it.

But it's also too strange for me to think there's a simple problem. We're talking about a walk-on here. Obviously, they can be bad people, too, but to the extent that he was completely and utterly unimportant to the program is inconsistent with the emerging narrative that Tom Izzo willingly covered up sexual assault to win basketball games.

He's also a basketball coach and assault rises to the sort of heinous level that transcends any relationship there may be between a coach and the conduct of his player. "You see, I never really liked Tom Izzo, his players kept assaulting women..." doesn't really compute to me, provided the absence of any direct evidence to implicate him in enabling that behavior. And if he was enabling that behavior, well, he shouldn't have been given the chance to. He is, again, a basketball coach. Even if you want to make the broader argument that he "failed to create a culture where women were respected," what does that entail? Do you have to tell a player not to grope a women or punch her in the face? Is that even something that is remotely on your radar? Perhaps he was guilty of overlooking red flags during the recruiting process, but again, he is a basketball coach and not a sheriff or psychologist.

There's firing a coach who symbolizes a rotten culture and then there is scapegoating someone to account for a pervasive, institutional problem. I have no particular inclination to defend Tom Izzo, but the whole thing is weird to me. Which coach would you say is the GOAT when it comes to preventing sexual assault? Do you have a top 25? It's just something so far removed from any competitive context that the adrenaline of public court feels especially dangerous right now.

Reaction Score
There's firing a coach who symbolizes a rotten culture and then there is scapegoating someone to account for a pervasive, institutional problem. I have no particular inclination to defend Tom Izzo, but the whole thing is weird to me. Which coach would you say is the GOAT when it comes to preventing sexual assault? Do you have a top 25? It's just something so far removed from any competitive context that the adrenaline of public court feels especially dangerous right now.

Granted, I haven't followed the MSU story closely, but the issue isn't preventing assaults from happening, it's everything that happens from an institutional standpoint after the assault takes place.

Reaction Score
Granted, I haven't followed the MSU story closely, but the issue isn't preventing assaults from happening, it's everything that happens from an institutional standpoint after the assault takes place.

That is my understanding as well, which is why I tend to see the situation - as it relates to Izzo - as pretty cut and dry. Either there will be evidence indicating his failure to report or there will not be. I think the threshold for what it would take to fire him can be argued (say he butchered the protocol but didn't actively participate in any cover-up), but I'm a little more uneasy with the path the OP seems to be taking to his conclusion.

Reaction Score
One of the greatest rants ever. He says everything I say about Izzo. Love that it comes from a MSU grad and fan.

Reaction Score
I don't remember the exact implications, but the Outside the Lines article on MSU seemed to indicate that Izzo and Dantonio were right in the middle MSU's mishandling of the situation(s)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom