OT: - Moving Anxiety | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Moving Anxiety

Reaction Score
Glad that you feel comfortable sharing as there are still too many that suffer instead of facing. Best advice I can give is to make an appointment with your Doctor. There are many degrees of anxiety. You need an appropriate treatment for you. No one here can diagnose or tell you what will work in your situation.
Good luck with the move - I can see how it could be scary but exciting at the same time. No decision is permanent.

Reaction Score
Think it's the fear of the unknown thats getting to you. You know ND and feel safe there. There's a lot of mystery and unknown in a new location. Chances are if you move, you'll end up enjoying the experience or at least look back at it in a positive light and feel better about yourself for taking the risk. I think without medication, you'll feel better once you actually make the move (if you choose to) and your mind realizes it was all irrational fears.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
moving from beautiful north dakota to mexico would depress the heck out of me too
whether or not you have to move you should start working out and change your diet. food and alcohol/legal drugs
i suffered anxiety attacks at the most inopportune times - i had them at uconn games, work, concerts and even driving that once caused me to total my car
went to the doctors and tried many different drugs - yeah some worked better than others but then i was advised by a co-worker about how he overcame his panic attacks by going to a gym 5 days a week, cutting down on carbs and sugar and only drinking limited alcohol one night a week and no weed
I joined the gym, lost about 50 lbs and quit drinking and smoking weed. Ive been sober for almost 30 years and kept most of the weight off and still go to the gym 5 days a week.
Not a panic attack in 30 years.
GOOD LUCK - it's sucks to suffer anxiety

Reaction Score
Be careful! I thought I was having panic attacks until I was finally diagnosed with a SEVERE cardiac arrhythmia caused by congestive heart failure. 21 years later I am still alive thanks to a great primary doctor who figured things out. See a good doctor, you might be misinterpreting your own condition! Buena suerte, mi amigo!

Reaction Score
This is a job move? I know many things are cheaper in Mexico, you can get house cleaners and people to cook at prices that are not possible in US. Sounds like a nice opportunity but you gotta get the games…….

Reaction Score
I stay in pretty good shape. Mostly a runner. My running goes up and down. Sometimes more sometimes less. The past few months have been my best stretch of running since pre-covid. Im definitely aware of how diet and exercise improve your mental health.

One of my issues is anxiety can interfere with my ability to run. Last Sat I was running 5. Stopped on 3.5. I wasn't particularly tired. Just mentally distracted. I walked the rest of the way.

My thought is. talk to a Dr.. Get some prescribed meds. Try them out in the US before I go. See how i feel. If they seem to work ill have them ready and available when I actually move.

I've taken some pills for depression in the past. 15 years ago. I forget what it was. something super mild. I took them for about 3 weeks and stopped. They didn't seem to be doing a ton. And I put some time and distance between myself and the life events that caused the depression

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Flush the meds and go to the gym. Clean up your diet, too.
100% agree with this before slamming pills. If you want to shatter your perspective toward health and wellness, reading 10% Human by Allana Collen is the book. It effectively links our gut/skin biome to essentially all of our modern day maladys, anxiety included. It's fascinating.

Also, make sure you are getting enough sun and exercise. And remember, winter in the upper midwest is just around the corner...and you are escaping it!

Reaction Score
And just not move to Mexico.
Don't listen to this. I lived in Monterrey for a year, it's a nice city. Affordable, good food, lots of museums, hiking opportunities just outside the city and a few cute small towns to visit an hour or less from the city.

Reaction Score
I'd feel exactly the opposite!
I know right? Lots of sun in monterrey and most of Mexico, friendly people, some of the neighborhoods were so colorful with all sorts of wonderful fruit. I enjoyed my year in Monterrey a lot. Most people were very warm, welcoming.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand some of this advice, unless people are convinced that their situation applies to all or they’re being deliberately provocative. “Slamming pills” in the midst of a physical or mental health crisis can literally be life saving. Everything is a balance, and no one can no anyone’s exact situation unless they are the treating doctor or psychologist/social worker/counselor. But, people in crisis don’t need pseudoscience or to be shamed for accessing treatment that works for them. How are we still at this point?

Reaction Score
FWIW.. Was on a path to being a clinical psychologist (at one time) and was employed as a counselor at a renowned private psychiatric hospital with a significant history of research in leading edge modalities for psychiatric issues/challenges. They had a two year study comparing the effectiveness of a psychotropic drug regiment (meds) vs transcendental meditation as a primary regimented behavior for stress relief (TM-twice a day) and to document and quantify its efficacy. The target group was a limited but closely monitored group of patients and were measured by the medical staff. It was a resounding success in concluding that TM could be/can be viable.

It works for individuals who are interested in alternative paths to a healthy lifestyle and a clear mind.. And its a practice you can use and benefit from for the rest of your life. Good luck with finding a solution that works for you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I stay in pretty good shape. Mostly a runner. My running goes up and down. Sometimes more sometimes less. The past few months have been my best stretch of running since pre-covid. Im definitely aware of how diet and exercise improve your mental health.

One of my issues is anxiety can interfere with my ability to run. Last Sat I was running 5. Stopped on 3.5. I wasn't particularly tired. Just mentally distracted. I walked the rest of the way.

My thought is. talk to a Dr.. Get some prescribed meds. Try them out in the US before I go. See how i feel. If they seem to work ill have them ready and available when I actually move.

I've taken some pills for depression in the past. 15 years ago. I forget what it was. something super mild. I took them for about 3 weeks and stopped. They didn't seem to be doing a ton. And I put some time and distance between myself and the life events that caused the depression
Alot of meds used for anxiety/depression can take 3-4 weeks before you start feeling relief

Reaction Score
FWIW.. Was on a path to being a clinical psychologist (at one time) and was employed as a counselor at a renowned private psychiatric hospital with a significant history of research in leading edge modalities for psychiatric issues/challenges. They had a two year study comparing the effectiveness of a psychotropic drug regiment (meds) vs transcendental meditation as a primary regimented behavior for stress relief (twice a day) and to document and quantify its efficacy. The target group was limited but closely monitored and measured by the medical staff. It was a resounding success.

It works for individuals who are interested in alternative paths to a healthy lifestyle and a clear mind..

Not so sure of that last sentence, as it’s more than just “wanting it.” The critiques in literature reviews often highlight the issues with the sample. To date, they have been limited in selection and not randomized. Until it’s repeatable, it‘s just interesting. I think it has been found to be most helpful for people with substance use disorders. Results are not consistent for other conditions, including depression. It’s also generally recommended that people with some conditions, like depersonalization, approach such techniques very cautiously. I am all for treatment plans that bring people relief and keeps them here with us. What that looks like specifically is not my business unless I am part of the treating team or doing an anonymous lit review.

Personally, I enjoy meditation, practice it daily, and have been known to do the whole retreat thing with it. I think it’s something people should attempt if they think it sounds interesting or helpful. I also understand its limitations, especially in isolation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I take a very small dose of lexapro every day and I feel completely normal. Haven’t had any anxiety issues in years.

Do not take Klonopin or any of those ultra strong anxiety meds. They will make you feel like you are semi-drunk and even if you only take them for a couple weeks, the withdrawal symptoms are terrible. My doctor prescribed it to me years ago before I switched to the lexapro. Never again!

Reaction Score
As someone who lives with a spouse on anxiety medicine. It can help you and have have a positive affect on those around you.

Reaction Score
Not so sure of that last sentence, as it’s more than just “wanting it.” The critiques in literature reviews often highlight the issues with the sample. To date, they have been limited in selection and not randomized. Until it’s repeatable, it‘s just interesting. I think it has been found to be most helpful for people with substance use disorders. Results are not consistent for other conditions, including depression. It’s also generally recommended that people with some conditions, like depersonalization, approach such techniques very cautiously. I am all for treatment plans that bring people relief and keeps them here with us. What that looks like specifically is not my business unless I am part of the treating team or doing an anonymous lit review.

Personally, I enjoy meditation, practice it daily, and have been known to do the whole retreat thing with it. I think it’s something people should attempt if they think it sounds interesting or helpful. I also understand its limitations, especially in isolation.
In its simplest form..TM is a relaxation method that helps relieve anxiety and stress and improves the psychological well-being of the person using it. I am only relaying an idea to @NDakotaHusky that he may want to research based on the limited (and personal) information he has shared. I will leave my comments at that and not debate on the myriad of psychological challenges different people have and whether its a fit.. If you seek out advice and input from the medical professional of your choice.. Of course it makes sense to weigh their opinion re: your situation.

I enjoy meditation daily and have also done the whole retreat thing with it. Not sure about limitations in isolation comment but I am hopeful @NDakotaHusky finds a solution that allows him peace and comfort.

Reaction Score
First of all--tons of respect for coming on here and asking. People hide mental health stuff too much.

I think you'll be surprised by how much a counselor can help. After getting food poisoning an hour into an 18-hour flight last summer and needing to be hospitalized, I had HORRIBLE anxiety about traveling. I was throwing up just thinking about going to South America for a few weeks this summer and nearly canceled the trip around March. My wife forced me to go to a therapist and after a couple of months, I was feeling no physical symptoms at all.

Anxiety can really take a toll on you physically, so please stay in touch with your MD/DO (and dear heavens, don't go to a DNP if they're allowed to practice independently in your state for any psych meds if you can help it).

Whatever happens, I would expect to have to try a few different meds/doses before you find the right one if you opt for meds. I'm mostly dealing with teenagers with anxiety, but just about everyone takes a few tries to get the right pharmacological mix for them.

Is weed legal in Mexico?

Absolutely agree. Many people will try different anxiety meds and can take a few weeks to see the impact.
Go to your primary dr.
Good starting point...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pick up some Spanish language skills too- might make you feel more confident in new situation

Reaction Score
I have found that humans love routines and hate change.

Think about a baby. They need to eat at a certain time every day. They take a nap at the same time every day. You throw a baby's routine out for a day and what happens? They're miserable and scream and cry.....until they fall back into their safe routine.

As adults, we're the same. We take the same route to work. Sit in the same spot. Take our coffee the same way. Your routine is being disrupted and it's making you uncomfortable....until you find your new safe routine.

You'll be fine and Mexico sounds way, way better than North Dakota IMO.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have found that humans love routines and hate change.

Think about a baby. They need to eat at a certain time every day. They take a nap at the same time every day. You throw a baby's routine out for a day and what happens? They're miserable and scream and cry.....until they fall back into their safe routine.

As adults, we're the same. We take the same route to work. Sit in the same spot. Take our coffee the same way. Your routine is being disrupted and it's making you uncomfortable....until you find your new safe routine.

You'll be fine and Mexico sounds way, way better than North Dakota IMO.
Speak for yourself. Except the last sentence which I'm inclined to believe very true (unless you're talking Juarez or TJ).

I laughed at the 'same route to work' thing. When I lived in Bridgeport and had to commute to my job in Stamford and later Norwalk, I probably knew - and used - a dozen different routes to avoid the daily standstill on the Merritt. The town planners did not make those alternatives easy. But if it didn't save me time - and probably worked only 40% of the time - at least I felt I was moving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom