Most "Good Wins" | The Boneyard

Most "Good Wins"

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
One reason why I like the Sagarin computer ratings is that they break down a lot of information in an easily digestible format including listing each teams record against the Sagarin top 25 and top 50.

Most top 25 wins:

9 – Uconn
8 – Baylor
6 – South Carolina, Florida St., Notre Dame, UCLA, Oregon State
5 – Texas, Stanford, Duke
4 – Washington, Tennessee, NC State

Most top 50 wins:

14 – Baylor
13 – Uconn
11 – South Carolina, Mississippi State, Stanford, Oregon State
10 – Washington, Notre Dame, Texas, UCLA
8 – Florida State, Maryland, Kansas State, Tennessee, Oklahoma

Of note to me, Maryland and Mississippi State only have 3 top 25 wins each, though Mississippi State has a decent schedule overall (Sagarin schedule rank – 26). Maryland, on the other hand, has the weakest schedule in the Sagarin top 25 (rank – 72).

Reaction Score
Really helpful. Never can understand Maryland's model of competition. Just can't be helpful in the long run....

Is there a list of the least number of losses to top 25 teams? :)

Reaction Score
I would point out that UConn has won 12 games against teams ranked at one point in the Top 25 of either AP or Coaches. K-State wasn't ranked when UConn played them, but was later. Temple wasn't ranked for the first game with UConn, but was subsequently. South Florida was ranked at the time, but then dropped out, and might not be ranked when we play them again on Monday.

Reaction Score
"Yo,Winthrop,yeah you,don't run and hide,you have won the contest for most shellacked by a top 25."Baylor is still sticking their chest out.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Really helpful. Never can understand Maryland's model of competition. Just can't be helpful in the long run....

But yet Maryland has played UCONN tougher than anyone else in the two years, 6 and 10 points. If they played a tougher schedule; do you think they might have beat UCONN in one these games?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But yet Maryland has played UCONN tougher than anyone else in the two years, 6 and 10 points. If they played a tougher schedule; do you think they might have beat UCONN in one these games?
I agree with last year, but this year IMO, FSU, Baylor, TX, ND, SC & Tulane (2nd game) all played UConn tougher than MD. FSU (2 pts) & Tulane (3 pts) were closer games and while MD was within 6 pts, the lead ballooned to 20+ in the 3rd qtr, before Pheesa & Gabby got into foul trouble and had to allow a number of uncontested inside shots. Baylor, TX, ND & SC were generally closer throughout the games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is all very interesting, but what we all really want to know is which team has the most BADASS wins this season? :rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I also like this site which has even more info breaking down wins against RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200, and 200+ Makes easy review of teams, especially when looking at seedings and selection for the NCAA. (Nitty Gritty)
Nitty Gritty Report with Team Pages for 2016-2017 NCAA Women's College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

Thanks for this! I used to use the "selection sheets" they had on WBBState but I haven't like WBBState nearly as much since their redesign. These are the same selection sheets all on one page, which is so helpful.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I agree with last year, but this year IMO, FSU, Baylor, TX, ND, SC & Tulane (2nd game) all played UConn tougher than MD. FSU (2 pts) & Tulane (3 pts) were closer games and while MD was within 6 pts, the lead ballooned to 20+ in the 3rd qtr, before Pheesa & Gabby got into foul trouble and had to allow a number of uncontested inside shots. Baylor, TX, ND & SC were generally closer throughout the games.

The final score matters. If we went by how the game was played, then Tulane beat UCONN. Geno said as much. Although he did not offer to vacate the victory. :rolleyes: But let us go with your example of UCONN being ahead by 20 at a given point in the Maryland game. Then Maryland losing by 6 points proves their weak schedule has not harmed them, since they were able to play smart by forcing two of UCONN's best players into foul trouble. Their weak schedule has had no adverse affect on their ability to maintain their poise while pulling to 6 points after trailing the best team in all of WCB by 20 points. Now just what in the blue blazes were they doing in the Ohio State game? :)
Code:
                   2015-16     2016-17
Maryland              6          10
Baylor               11          --
TX                   18          21
ND                   11          10
SC                   11          12

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would point out that UConn has won 12 games against teams ranked at one point in the Top 25 of either AP or Coaches.

I never understand the use of this metric. So what if a team was ranked at some point? A ranking doesn't mean a team is good. It just means a bunch of a pollsters *think* the team was good. Barring an injury, the fact that they are not ranked now likely means the pollsters were wrong.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The final score matters. If we went by how the game was played, then Tulane beat UCONN. Geno said as much. Although he did not offer to vacate the victory. :rolleyes: But let us go with your example of UCONN being ahead by 20 at a given point in the Maryland game. Then Maryland losing by 6 points proves their weak schedule has not harmed them, since they were able to play smart by forcing two of UCONN's best players into foul trouble. Their weak schedule has had no adverse affect on their ability to maintain their poise while pulling to 6 points after trailing the best team in all of WCB by 20 points. Now just what in the blue blazes were they doing in the Ohio State game? :)
Code:
                   2015-16     2016-17
Maryland                     6               10
Baylor                         11                --
TX                               18               21
ND                               11               10
SC                                11               12
OK, I will concede that final score matters and that MD had much to do with getting Pheesa & Gabby in foul trouble. That still means that Tulane and FSU played UConn tougher than MD.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
"Yo,Winthrop,yeah you,don't run and hide,you have won the contest for most shellacked by a top 25."Baylor is still sticking their chest out.

Yeah, we showed them! We sent them a box of "we survived the Waco bombing" t-shirts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, I will concede that final score matters and that MD had much to do with getting Pheesa & Gabby in foul trouble. That still means that Tulane and FSU played UConn tougher than MD.
Old dude---not disagreeing REALLY! The score does not matter all you need is one point more than the other guy--Geno's belief---but that does not keep him from getting 40 points more. I agree with Tulane and FSU. I've watched the Tulane game again and again---Uconn WBB has played lesser teams and better teams than Tulane--all I can see is , every bad scenario fans and Geno feared--happened. Plus say what you want--Tulane's coach and kids deserve loads of credit--or dislike depending on how you perceive the game. I'm happy we played Temple--cleared away the black clouds.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Is there a list of the least number of losses to top 25 teams? :)
Let me ask this in an objective way- we intimate that the UConn model of playing top teams enables their ability to win titles, however true, that model does not have any statistical relevance to other schools over the past 15-20 years except for Tennessee (where Pat would play anyone, anytime, anywhere). Look at the list of champions and tell me what Texas A&M or Maryland or Baylor or even ND played a top OOC schedule in the years they won? I get what you are driving at however there isn't a strong correlation for non-UConn teams. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
Let me ask this in an objective way- we intimate that the UConn model of playing top teams enables their ability to win titles, however true, that model does not have any statistical relevance to other schools over the past 15-20 years except for Tennessee (where Pat would play anyone, anytime, anywhere). Look at the list of champions and tell me what Texas A&M or Maryland or Baylor or even ND played a top OOC schedule in the years they won? I get what you are driving at however there isn't a strong correlation for non-UConn teams. Am I missing something?
Interesting point.

But maybe the statistical point is that the teams you've named were all one-time national champions. So, yes, a team can make a run in a given year (because a run really means winning 3 competitive games: elite 8, semis, and the NC; and maybe better teams are eliminated in other games along the way). But to sustain a truly great program year-in and year-out, you've named the strategy of Tenn and UConn: play anyone, anytime, anywhere. For sustained superiority, it seems that you've got to develop an attitude to being tough for 6 months, not for 3 games. That's the inference, but even here, with n=2 (UConn and Tenn), I'm not saying it's true.

However, it seems to tend to work in the NFL: since the league decided that the top finishing teams play the hardest schedule the following year, a lot of those teams (esp. the Patriots, Ravens, and Steelers) have tended to stay strong the entire time. (Of course, they are also among the top organizations as well.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think the OOC is the only determining factor. Geno loved the old big east because it not only gave a full slate of IC quality opponents, but they all played significantly different games WV was hard nose defense, Rutgers was trapping, Villanova was passing you to death, ND was quality offense and straight up defense, DePaul was small fast and three point shooting, etc. so by the end of conference play you were well versed in dealing with all kinds of offense and defense. (I think it has always been a downside with the SEC that they all grew in the shadow of TN and mostly adopted the same kind of play.)

For the teams listed as NC winners - ND came out of the BE, Baylor and T A&M from a strong B12 (it is weaker now) that also had a wide range of playing styles, and the second Baylor NC was a year that Kim had upgrade the OOC, Maryland was really challenged by both Duke and UNC in the ACC. So without checking the OOC for each year, the IC was solid for all those teams. And TAMU won over the #1 team in the country that year - Baylor in their conference. ND beat the #1 UConn in their conference, Maryland beat #1 Duke from their conference, Baylor 1 was a bit of a surprise, Baylor 2 was wire to wire best team (undefeated.) So except for the Baylor NCs there is a little pattern there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom