More praise for Andre Jackson | Page 9 | The Boneyard

More praise for Andre Jackson

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m excited for the dunks. A point I think Hurley brought up a few weeks ago is that our team doesn’t dunk the ball, we have to be bottom third in the country in dunks. Good teams dunk the ball a lot.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If he bit someone's ear off before rising to champ, and never made it to champ, I would agree with calling him a waste of talent. But he did make it, and he retained that title longer than all but 2 other men....EVER. He deserves more credit for what he accomplished, than criticism for what he didn't.
It's not for what he didn't do. It's for what he could have been. In order to accept becoming heavy weight champion as a sign of achieving all he could achieve is to rank him with Riddick Bowe. Mike was a great great fighter. But he could have been so much more and that is a waste to those of us who appreciate true greatness. He had the potential to be named with Ali, or Jackson, or Lewis, or Leonard, or Marciano. But he isn't.

Reaction Score
Stupid is the perfect word.

The man was the youngest champion and has one of the longest title defense streaks in the division.

That's not a waste of talent. Arguing otherwise lacks reason and intelligence.

This may all be semantics, but if you read Tyson's history (try Wikipedia for an quick summary) it's hard to say he didn't waste his talent. He blew over $300 million in earnings and ended his boxing career in bankruptcy doing exhibition matches trying to pay off his debts. Then there were various felony convictions including one for rape.

His early life was a mess and Cus D'Amato took him under his wing, gave him structure, and made him a great fighter, and a fighter who respected his opponents.

He absolutely destroyed his opponents like none before him and like none since. He attacked from the opening bell and his goal always seemed to be a first round knockout. This video captures how he was all business in his early years and, quite poignantly, shows the concern he seemed to have for the welfare of his opponents after knocking them out:

He was seemingly on the road to recognition as the greatest (or at a minimum the most feared) fighter of all time before he detoured into an unfortunate series of life altering missteps. He was a smart guy who had had no parental guidance and likely lost his best chance at a good future when D'Amato died unexpectedly. D'Amato had been a stabilizing force in his life and gave him direction. Maybe it was listening to Don King and firing Kevin Rooney and Bill Cayton. But all the negative things in his career seemed to begin with King's influence on his life.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hey Wing,
I'd you don't think Tyson wasted some of his enormous talent because he was an emotional mess, fine.
but leave the name calling out of it.
happy Holidays!
I didn't call anyone any names. I didn't call you stupid. I think what you said was stupid. There's a difference between saying "he wasted some of his enormous talent..." and "he was a waste of talent". The first statement I would agree with. The second statement I still think is stupid. (The statement, not the person making it).

Happy Holidays!

True. Just seriously stupid.
I never said he was a waste of talent. But I could have said it better.Probably the taunting of my generation affected my tone.
Fyi I wasn't being sarcastic when I wished you happy holidays.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Basketball is a young mans game, it's a street game born on the inner city courts of America.

It's probably a discussion for another time and I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing it but it always really bothered me how older guys always seem to have a comment on how young guys show their emotion, how they wear their uniform, what hairstyle they have etc.

My dad was the biggest NBA fan I knew and whenever he would try and talk basketball with his friends they would look at him like he's crazy for watching the NBA and it would always come back to them saying I can't watch all those guys with tattoos, corn rows, and I don't like all the histrionics. I've seen it with my own peer group for a long time as well. It's coded and it really bothers me. Again, not accusing anyone here of that but I'm keen to it and always will be.
Strong take here.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Bird was an epic trash talker, but after great play he typically just run down court and got ready to make another great play. He really wasn’t an in your face flexing kind a guy, for the most part.

It really doesn’t matter to me one way or the other. If that’s what kids need to do to play the game enthusiastically its fine, but most of us grew up being taught that you act like you’ve been there before.
Doubt any of Bird's contemporaries ever frame him as a gentleman's trashtalker. He was constant and disrespectful. Doc sure as heck would never frame Bird's trashtalk as casual. Same with Nique, Jordan and I'm sure some Knicks and Pistons. That's what Bird would do, talk dumb ish to futher his engagement. That's just how some players are mentally wired when it comes to competition.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Doubt any of Bird's contemporaries ever frame him as a gentleman's trashtalker. He was constant and disrespectful. Doc sure as heck would never frame Bird's trashtalk as casual. Same with Nique, Jordan and I'm sure some Knicks and Pistons. That's what Bird would do, talk dumb ish to futher his engagement. That's just how some players are mentally wired when it comes to competition.
Gentleman trash talker?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
1) Not "maybe". Unethical is wrong.

2) You're passing judgement while admitting you don't have enough information to pass judgement. That's as unethical as anything you're criticizing Jackson of. No matter how many times you try to qualify it.

3) You wrote "passion and emotion is..." and then described the behavior your would prefer. That is literally giving a definition to the words that fits your narrative. I didn't change the definition of anything. Slow down and read what I wrote.

4) Passion and emotion are what led to his behavior. What he did wasn't fueled by passion and emotion? What else could have caused it? Apathy and aloofness? As short as my post was, you still didn't comprehend it.
What causes this chest pounding stuff is the crappy example of others for the last 25 years or so. I went to a really good hoops high school in the 1960s. A bunch of the players could dunk but never did this ego stuff. I guarantee you the emotion was the same, but the spotlight wasn’t. The role modeling kinda sucks.

Reaction Score
What causes this chest pounding stuff is the crappy example of others for the last 25 years or so. I went to a really good hoops high school in the 1960s. A bunch of the players could dunk but never did this ego stuff. I guarantee you the emotion was the same, but the spotlight wasn’t. The role modeling kinda sucks.

Strongest "OK Boomer" take of a lot of white hot take options.

I really extra hate this board when this dumb shiz shows its face.

It's never a good look to put rose colored glasses on. Makes you look super duper naive.

It's important to remember that Mayberry never existed, folks.

Reaction Score
I can think of a bunch of stuff that happened in the 60s that thankfully doesn't happen now. Some of the role modeling from that generation kinda sucks too.

If he earns a tech, then there is valid criticism for hurting the team (depending on the score).

If he doesn't, then it's certain people choosing to be offended by the behavior simply because they don't like it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like the kid a lot but no need for that on that kid sorry. That’s not swagger it’s just wrong.

Good news is I’ve been impressed on all videos prior that he never does that, just flies back on defense. I prefer to let the game talk unless it’s payback.
Totally agree with mau on this. Play the game. Posterize someone but enough of the histrionics. I’m old school. Let your game do the talking!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Frankly, Bird was freakin ruthless. MJ might have surpassed him tho. Magic was more the gentleman.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I can think of a bunch of stuff that happened in the 60s that thankfully doesn't happen now. Some of the role modeling from that generation kinda sucks too.

If he earns a tech, then there is valid criticism for hurting the team (depending on the score).

If he doesn't, then it's certain people choosing to be offended by the behavior simply because they don't like it.

That's really the crux of it. Just don't hurt the team.

Reaction Score
I was thinking of the same quote when they signed Andre. Overall, the quest to add more skilled and athletic talent is a great foundation to build on. One of the next steps will be reincorporating the lob back into the offense especially with Andre, Bouknight and Akok potentially on the back lines. As a side note, the last great lobber we had was Daniel Hamilton and coincidentally we haven't sniffed at the NCAA since he left.

Reaction Score
Strongest "OK Boomer" take of a lot of white hot take options.

I really extra hate this board when this dumb shiz shows its face.

It's never a good look to put rose colored glasses on. Makes you look super duper naive.

It's important to remember that Mayberry never existed, folks.

The fact that people automatically point to old and Maybury because of an opinion also is very naive. Guessing those who think it's "young" and cool to posterize on the basketball court are very much in the minority.

I'm only back to support the guy who's right cohenzone! But I'm just going to get back into my rocking chair with my warm buttered milk and blankey to take a nap while staying out of it again. :D

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

The point is missed. And some things from the 6os were worlds better. So you like it, hooray for you.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with thinking your generation has it all figured out and every other generation is wrong and/or out of touch, I guess. That way of thinking has been around for as long as people have been and it's not going anywhere.

Just a friendly note: this post applies to boomers, millenials, Gen Yers, and everyone in-between.

Reaction Score
The point is missed. And some things from the 6os were worlds better. So you like it, hooray for you.

They're ignored on my end cohen they're so far off. Stop now there's no winning or even gaining any respect you're too "old" LOL. Now go get some gas from Gomer and take a ride.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Some things I guess. Black folks would def disagree tho
If you want to talk about degrees of difference, great. I know quite a bit about civil rights laws. In the meantime, showboating isn’t better, but diff strokes for diff folks.

Reaction Score
Yes. You did miss the point. You get to decide how you react to things, and you're choosing to be bothered by it. So you don't like it. Sucks for you.

And some things from the 60s were worlds worse, or do you want to continue to lecture others "acting like you've been there before" while also explaining fire hoses, police dogs, lynchings and church bombings?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom