More about Joey C. | The Boneyard

More about Joey C.

Reaction Score

The shot! Hurley mentioned in last night post game presser that Joey has it in the gene and spoke to his parents during recruiting, and it’s apparently in his family pedigree. This prompted me to do a bit of research, came across this nice write up about him from Athletics (apologies if already posted):

The Kid has heart, balls and grit to come to play for UCONN!

Reaction Score

The shot! Hurley mentioned in last night post game presser that Joey has it in the gene and spoke to his parents during recruiting, and it’s apparently in his family pedigree. This prompted me to do a bit of research, came across this nice write up about him from Athletics (apologies if already posted):

I have the utmost respect for Joey C. There was a very real possibility he would not play AT ALL when he came here. He could've stayed at a low-major and gotten a guaranteed 30 mpg. Instead, he chose the hard route and put in the work to be a contributor. Now he's got our coaching saying in his post-game comments that he needs to give Joey more minutes. Who would've expected that?

He's going to make some money playing this game because of what he's been able to do this season.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

The comment in the article about Jackson reaching out to him makes you wonder about how big a positive impact Jackson has had on the program. E.g. , how many recruitments , transfers and high school, have been positively impacted by Jackson and his intensity/professionalism being the face and player voice of the program.

Reaction Score
Yeah having a leader is so important. Having Kemba and Donnell Beverly be captains and reach out to recruits I feel contributed to the success in that 2010-2011 season and why chemistry was so high. Really feel like Ajax is a true leader. Glad he is able to shine this season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Joey is all-in. The first big cheer of the night came when he hit a three. But I swear he seemed just as jacked the next time down the floor when he set Hawk up for 3.

Reaction Score
That play was huge for a number of reasons. Not just that there were only two seconds to get it off. The Cowboys had grabbed the initiative. It was a mini-dagger.

We're at the point when we are surprised when he misses. You could here the crowd groan in disbelief when he missed a foul shot.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great if his season is like Giffey's senior season? The reversion to the mean that pretty much never came. All the way to the title game.

Shot 48.3% for the season from 3 (58/120). Between 2/23 and 3/14, he went 19/31 from 3 (61.3%). Then he cooled off. But after going 0/7 from 3 against Michigan State and Florida, he made 2 of 4 against Kentucky.

He also shot 11/13 from 3 in the first 3 games of the season.

Reaction Score
I posted on it last year regarding Carlton.
This Post Grads who aren’t willing to give up the game just yet in a sense use that time to audition for paying jobs.
With Carlton it was minutes
Agents and recruiters also overlook guys except super stars who come out of mid majors
Joey took a chance because he could have easily been stuck on the bench. Maybe it’s our proximity to media.
We had 4 guys leave , none were a lock for the NBA , one actually made a roster , and the other three are making decent livings some despite many post on their own board to the contrary.
Apparently UConn gets attention from these leagues or their representatives. Kids take notice and I suspect as long as we put guys in the pros we will be a hot portal destination.

Reaction Score
Joey C has a knack for making the clutch play when we need it. The falling out of bounds 3. The time he stripped a guy driving to the basket (not his man) off of the guy's knee and over to us.

The little things.

He'll be outmatched athletically sometimes and you'll have to try to hide him on D in certain matchups, but he's a huge asset in the box score and in the huddle.

Reaction Score
I have the utmost respect for Joey C. There was a very real possibility he would not play AT ALL when he came here. He could've stayed at a low-major and gotten a guaranteed 30 mpg. Instead, he chose the hard route and put in the work to be a contributor. Now he's got our coaching saying in his post-game comments that he needs to give Joey more minutes. Who would've expected that?

He's going to make some money playing this game because of what he's been able to do this season.
Yes. Very similar to the story of Lasan Kromah. Not that their games are alike but they could've been guaranteed more time at a smaller D1 school but instead chose the harder route to come here and be part of something great and turned their lesser roles into bigger ones. Both key contributors to highly successful teams. Let's hope JC gets to enjoy what LK did.

Reaction Score
The comment in the article about Jackson reaching out to him makes you wonder about how big a positive impact Jackson has had on the program. E.g. , how many recruitments , transfers and high school, have been positively impacted by Jackson and his intensity/professionalism being the face and player voice of the program.
This is true.

Reaction Score
That play was huge for a number of reasons. Not just that there were only two seconds to get it off. The Cowboys had grabbed the initiative. It was a mini-dagger.

We're at the point when we are surprised when he misses. You could here the crowd groan in disbelief when he missed a foul shot.
The moan at the missed foul shot at the end was because people like me bet the over and UConn covering. That one missed shot meant we didn't cover and the under won.

Reaction Score
Yes. Very similar to the story of Lasan Kromah. Not that their games are alike but they could've been guaranteed more time at a smaller D1 school but instead chose the harder route to come here and be part of something great and turned their lesser roles into bigger ones. Both key contributors to highly successful teams. Let's hope JC gets to enjoy what LK did.
Kromah not only ended up as a NC
He made some money playing pro ball afterward.
Does he get that opportunity staying a GW . I don’t know but he certainly wouldn’t have a NC.
Joey C three point shooting will drop off some but unlike poor Polley he is still the Third or fourth option .
Covering 1-2 is hard 3-4 is almost impossible which means he is getting much better looks than at SD
Good Shooter + Good Looks = > %

caw

Reaction Score
Him and Hawk could have killer shooting competitions.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kromah not only ended up as a NC
He made some money playing pro ball afterward.
Loved Kromah. Wasn't he on the court when that team won it? He just wanted to do what it took to win and Joey seems the same.

Reaction Score
The thing I love about him is that he gets visibly upset when someone scores on him- and his defense looks better 9 games in than it did last month. Knowing his defense needed some improvement at this level, you can tell he’s trying to put in the work to be a better defender. Obviously he can shoot the lights out but he knows he needs to be a 2-way player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom