Mississippi Valley Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mississippi Valley Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
-MVSU was pesky, reached in a ton, slapped about 10,000 arms during the course of the game. A good practice game for us to get used to no-calls on contact
-Our rebounding was a little disappointing. But many times, the MVSU shots were so bad, it was a total crapshoot guessing where it was gonna go
-Solo go smoked on his perimeter defense. Better positioning, quicker feet. But it will come. He’s so athletic.
-I thought almost every 3 Solo took looked real good. I believe Hurley saying he’s shooting it well in practice. He’s gonna start really clicking in-game soon.
-Cam was great!
-Near triple-double game for Tristen. Probably could have gotten it it he really really wanted it. Played pretty unselfish
-Clingan’s FT shooting struggles seem mostly mental

Reaction Score
Really want to see one of Ball, Stewart or Ross emerge to be the 8th man. I thought it was interesting to see Roumoglu get minutes that mattered, he seemed fluid (that foul at half court was a harder hit than anyone on our football team though lol). Team defense seemed weak, Spencer still has work to do on that end. Nice to see Spencer ball out on offense. I don't want to be overly negative on Clingan but on offense he takes too many layups where he's falling away and on defense his feet are slow and he lunges instead of going straight up. Samson Johnson looked really good on that dunk. I hope Castle is ok.
Samson had the nice quick dunk and the awesome alley oops but he was pretty lost the rest of that game.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Box Score w/minutes

IMG_3648.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ball's finishing at the rim (outside of his poster) was maybe even more disappointing than his 3 point shooting.
If he’s going to miss one or the other, at least going to the rim can get him to the line. And make the defense work some.

He definitely had an off game in general. He needs to be aggressive in looking to attack and then shoot rather than vice versa though.

Reaction Score
Samson had the nice quick dunk and the awesome alley oops but he was pretty lost the rest of that game.
Alley opp was set up nicely by Spencer. Favorite play of the game for me.

Reaction Score
Not the prettiest, but can't complain too much about a 30 point win. My favorite things -
  • Fantastic game from Cam Spencer! Found his shot tonight and had a good defensive effort as well
  • Karaban saved our offense in the first half by getting to the middle of the zone and making the right play every single time. Castle was really good in that role last game
  • Ball is super high energy on defense. Offense needs some work but I'm already a big fan. He's a 6'3 guard that cut backdoor and threw down a poster pretty much off vert. That's not normal..
  • Relatively early minutes for Roumoglou. Nothing specific to say here, just shoutout Apostolos!
Lot of things to not like in the first half..
  • Offense was horrible in the first 10 minutes. It's fine tonight because MVSU is the worst team in D1 (literally), but a lot of swing-swing-swing-swing-three. Really ugly until Karaban came back in, and then really ugly when he went back out
  • I dislike the 1-3-1.
  • The worst offense in D1 got into the double bonus against us, twice. Not all great calls, but means we probably weren't taking defense seriously. Again it's fine against MVSU but not a good look
But cleaned it up and made more than enough plays to coast to a win. These 3 games were fun, I'll hopefully see you all at MSG this weekend!

Reaction Score
We beat Mississippi Valley State by 34. Bravo Foxtrot Delta. The real season begins Sunday.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can’t read this whole thread. I just don’t know how many people don’t get how young this team is. 2 grad students but most of the guts of the team are sophs and freshmen, tonight missing the best of the freshmen. It’s 3 games into the season and they waxed these teams the way you would expect No way, at least this early in the season, is this team going to resemble last year’s team that had 3 guys go pro with remaining eligibility and a 4th transfer. And that team had it’s struggles

Clingan obviously needs to improve his foul shooting. Count me as one who thinks his form isn’t awful, his accuracy is. Gives me hope he can improve.

Reaction Score
Can’t read this whole thread. I just don’t know how many people don’t get how young this team is. 2 grad students but most of the guts of the team are sophs and freshmen, tonight missing the best of the freshmen. It’s 3 games into the season and they waxed these teams the way you would expect No way, at least this early in the season, is this team going to resemble last year’s team that had 3 guys go pro with remaining eligibility and a 4th transfer. And that team had it’s struggles

Clingan obviously needs to improve his foul shooting. Count me as one who thinks his form isn’t awful, his accuracy is. Gives me hope he can improve.
The guts of the team is the starting 5. It's two 5th year seniors, one of which was the starting point guard on the national title team, two national title winning sophomores and a freshman. I wouldn't exactly call them so young. That's a lot of experience and a lot of big game experience.

caw

Reaction Score
So if my math is correct we have:

Karaban at 17 per game
Newton at 15.3
Cam and Clingan at 15
and Castle at 14.5 (two games obviously)

Any bets on who leads the team in scoring after seeing three games because I have no clue.

Reaction Score
The guts of the team is the starting 5. It's two 5th year seniors, one of which was the starting point guard on the national title team, two national title winning sophomores and a freshman. I wouldn't exactly call them so young. That's a lot of experience and a lot of big game experience.
Yeah, we're not exceptionally young this season, we're barely younger than last year. Average D1 experience was 2.25 years last year which was 113th in the country and this year's it's 2.13 which is 106th

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ross stewart and ball basically giving us nothing through 3 games kinda sucks. But that’s why you shouldn’t rely on freshmen. I expect lots of 35 min box scores against Indiana.

Reaction Score
I really think Clingan should just move back 3 or 4 inches when at the free throw line. All his free throws seem to miss long. I think this would help
I said that in the game chat. I was at the game and you can see he isn’t even in the same place on the line. He needs to take a half step back. He never short arms the fts

Reaction Score
Ball will be a stud. He’s a freshman. Y’all remember first half of the season freshman Hawkins?
I thought he was decent. His shot jus isn't fouling but he is the only Freshman besides Castle looking for his offense. I like what I see so far but he needs to improve his defense and his handle.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Again, this board makes me feel like Mr. Hand. You are all on dope.

Reaction Score
Ross stewart and ball basically giving us nothing through 3 games kinda sucks. But that’s why you shouldn’t rely on freshmen. I expect lots of 35 min box scores against Indiana.
I think Ball actually was dencent this last game and was the only Freshman who looks like he can contribute now. Shot will come.

Reaction Score

Ball is playing decently well. He’ll get better as the season progresses. Thinking a Hawkins like progression for him with ups and downs his freshman year.

Stewart has showed flashes. He’s a player but may struggle to get up to speed without getting steady early season minutes.

Ross will see limited minutes all season but his shot is nice. Won’t be a major contributor this year but a three ball here and there off the bench would be a nice boost.

Stewart, Ross, Diarra only need to provide 5-10 productive minutes a game. Ball more like 10-15.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
ing ssimThe guts of the team is the starting 5. It's two 5th year seniors, one of which was the starting point guard on the national title team, two national title winning sophomores and a freshman. I wouldn't exactly call them so young. That's a lot of experience and a lot of big game experience.
give me a break. We are talking tonight and the reaction to it. Castle, a freshman is a starter. He was N.A. tonight. Ball had to start. Game 3 for him. And people are saying Ross and Stewart need to step up. Game 3 for them. Clingan is the main man for the first time. You seriously think at this point in this season this team should be that advanced? Wonderland.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom