Mississippi St (10) @ Marquette - 11/25/19 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (10) @ Marquette - 11/25/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Oregon will take a step back because that’s what happens when you lose a player like Ionescu. I don’t think a big step back, but definitely a step back. Hebard too.

South Carolina will lose Ty Harris and Herbert-Harrigan. They’ll still have a really solid core with Henderson, Cooke, Boston, Beal, Amihere, Saxton, Littleton and others, so it’ll be interesting to see. Even though they’ll lose Harris, Henderson should be ready to run the show with Cooke as her running mate. I don’t think the losses of Harris or Herbert-Harrigan will be felt a ton because they have some solid players on the bench.

Harris is a big loss. She is one of the few point guards in WCBB with the ability to really dictate the pace of the game. She won't kill you offensively, but she's dynamite defensively and she's a calming influence on the floor. The starting PG spot is Henderson's for sure next season, but she needs to become better at taking care of the ball and setting up the offense. Herbert-Harrigan is a loss, but Amihere brings the same skillset with a higher ceiling in my opinion. I've seen enough from our freshmen class to think we'll be just fine next year. We'll have less depth.. we do get Littleton next year, but we'll still need a grad transfer forward I think.

We'll be VERY young next year.. probable starters will be Henderson, Cooke, Beal, Amihere and Boston. A bench of Littleton, Saxton, Grissett, Wesolek, Russell (freshman) and Thompson. Grissett will be our only senior next year, unless you count Littleton who's a redshirt.

Reaction Score
No team is a shoe-in for the Final Four this year and it is my belief that will be the case for quite a while. Parity has arrived in WBB and I love it. Soon we will see upsets in the WBB tournaments just like we do in the men tournaments. Exciting times ahead!
PARITY, Stephen F. Austin 85, number 1 Duke 83!

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I plead guilty. I did think MSST was the better team last year. We played both those games in Oregon before a very partial home crowd. I dare say UConn May have suffered a similar fate if the elite eight game was played in Kentucky. Home court means a lot in WBB.

I remember this all too well--and, with help from other Mississippi State fans, before the first game, after it, before and maybe after the second, and over and over and over and over again in each instance. So much so that fans other than Oregon's (I think there were really only 2 who posted back then) found it hard to listen to. I''ve only been around for about 4 years now, but I can't remember anything quite like that run of posts.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'm going to agree that there were a few MSU fans who were over the top in their exuberance. I've certainly had moments I'm embarrassed by defending my team on this board.

Let's move onto a new season with positive vibes. We can call out the offenders as they show up this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
PARITY, Stephen F. Austin 85, number 1 Duke 83!
1574838572376.png

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

Honestly feels like a pretty historic upset. I realize SFA is a quality smaller program. They played a pretty solid Mississippi State team to a 5 point loss two years ago, but Massey had them as a 35 pt underdog.

Amazing.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Honestly feels like a pretty historic upset. I realize SFA is a quality smaller program. They played a pretty solid Mississippi State team to a 5 point loss two years ago, but Massey had them as a 35 pt underdog.

Amazing.
It is an upset but 35 points as an underdog is completely ridiculous for a team who has been to the NCAA’s recently and has proven themselves to be a worthy opponent. SFA is a good team. Not surprised that they knocked off Duke. You see these kind of games early in the year and then again in the tournament when they seemingly come out of nowhere to beat some of the big boys.
Basketball has the potential for more parity because you only have 5 starters on the floor at a time and 13 players on your roster. That means a lot of good/great players get sprinkled around to a lot of college programs. One/two great players with a decent group around them can carry a team a ways especially in a one game scenario or the NCAA tournament where you are one and done.
At the end of the day it is always good to seeDuke go down.

Reaction Score
I remember this all too well--and, with help from other Mississippi State fans, before the first game, after it, before and maybe after the second, and over and over and over and over again in each instance. So much so that fans other than Oregon's (I think there were really only 2 who posted back then) found it hard to listen to. I''ve only been around for about 4 years now, but I can't remember anything quite like that run of posts.

I wonder if all of those posters are still here because it seems a lot more muted this year. I missed some of it because I had never really posted a lot, but what I saw of it was way over the top.

Reaction Score
There were others that did pertaining to SC’s schedule, which I happen to think does a terrific job of balancing out the cupcakes with
tough, highly-ranked teams.

I'm not convinced the poster was actually serious about South Carolina's schedule.

Reaction Score
Harris is a big loss. She is one of the few point guards in WCBB with the ability to really dictate the pace of the game. She won't kill you offensively, but she's dynamite defensively and she's a calming influence on the floor. The starting PG spot is Henderson's for sure next season, but she needs to become better at taking care of the ball and setting up the offense. Herbert-Harrigan is a loss, but Amihere brings the same skillset with a higher ceiling in my opinion. I've seen enough from our freshmen class to think we'll be just fine next year. We'll have less depth.. we do get Littleton next year, but we'll still need a grad transfer forward I think.

We'll be VERY young next year.. probable starters will be Henderson, Cooke, Beal, Amihere and Boston. A bench of Littleton, Saxton, Grissett, Wesolek, Russell (freshman) and Thompson. Grissett will be our only senior next year, unless you count Littleton who's a redshirt.

I think Littleton will be a RS Junior. that might be what you meant.

I think losing Harris is major, but I think having Henderson to step into the starting lineup could make it as seamless as possible.

I think Littleton will be solid. The development of the freshmen though will obviously be the key.

That's the difference in being a title threat and simply being very good.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Littleton will be a RS Junior. that might be what you meant.

I think losing Harris is major, but I think having Henderson to step into the starting lineup could make it as seamless as possible.

I think Littleton will be solid. The development of the freshmen though will obviously be the key.

That's the difference in being a title threat and simply being very good.
Does the fact SC has little to no “outside” game worry you? When SC won the title, they had balance of inside and outside and when I look at ALL the SEC teams I see a lack of balance and is why I don’t think any of them are a real threat to win a title or make it to the Final Four this year.
Last year Baylor was the anomaly without an outside game. But given their size inside, they prevailed (barely) but that rarely happens now. For as much as Baylor is garnering support this year, they again are challenged by lack of an outside game.
Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Well, they were wrong to say that. I'm not them.

I will say that watching SC Upstate was just cringey and painful. They were #341 in last year's RPI. But yes, Dawn overall does a commendable job with her schedule and doesn't shy away from scheduling tough games. She's taken some beatdowns from UConn and keeps scheduling us. And you didn't hear this from me, but this just might be the year she finally gets a win on Geno.

Can't say that most don't have this circled as the best chance yet, but man that will be easier said than done.

For all the "holes", UConn still arguably has the best three or four players in the game every time they take the floor.

It's an interesting matchup.

Seems like Nelson-Ododa is trying to come a little more out of her shell and be more of an offensive player as the season is moving along. Not quite there yet, but could see her getting there by February.

Reaction Score
Does the fact SC has little to no “outside” game worry you? When SC won the title, they had balance of inside and outside and when I look at ALL the SEC teams I see a lack of balance and is why I don’t think any of them are a real threat to win a title or make it to the Final Four this year.
Last year Baylor was the anomaly without an outside game. But given their size inside, they prevailed (barely) but that rarely happens now. For as much as Baylor is garnering support this year, they again are challenged by lack of an outside game.
Thoughts?

South Carolina is shooting 40% from three point range this year.

I don't know yet if South Carolina has "little or no outside game."

It's possible, I suppose. I'm hopeful that these percentages will maintain or improve as everyone continues to get comfortable.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "worry" also. I'm not worried about South Carolina being very good. I guess if I'm thinking about winning the title this year then perimeter shooting and freshmen walls and mistakes worry me.

Reaction Score
Thoughts?
I don't know about South Carolina, but I agree with @DefenseBB that the teams with best chance to win an NCAA title are teams with both solid inside presence (offense & defense), plus a strong cohesive perimeter guard core, that is skilled at finding & converting the open 3-point shot. BTW, inside scoring can also come from your guard core if they are skilled at getting to the basket.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
South Carolina is shooting 40% from three point range this year.

I don't know yet if South Carolina has "little or no outside game."

It's possible, I suppose. I'm hopeful that these percentages will maintain or improve as everyone continues to get comfortable.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "worry" also. I'm not worried about South Carolina being very good. I guess if I'm thinking about winning the title this year then perimeter shooting and freshmen walls and mistakes worry me.
While 40% is very good, SC doesn’t take enough of them to do damage. They rank 141st nationally (3rd in the SEC so my point is correct that the SEC is not balanced).
Harris in particular needs to show this in her game if SC wants to truly contend (and if she wants a WNBA job). If she shoots (and makes) more, SC could be a beast.
I am very curious on the SC-Texas A&M game though they only play once and it I still the last game of the reg season Head bang
I will be a huge Gamecocks fan this weekend though! Go ‘Cocks!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom