Missing Ayanna and Jana | The Boneyard

Missing Ayanna and Jana

Reaction Score
I can’t help thinking about the magnitude of the hole in Geno’s lineup created when Ayanna and Jana were lost for the season. The lineup he’d put together was a preseason favorite for the NC because of lots of players besides these two. But the loss of the bigs was especially devastating.

Ayanna’s virtue is her strength and quickness. She’s not a great shooter but she is as strong as anyone in D1. We saw this in the Iowa game last season when she controlled Czinano (also very strong) when she was on the floor. But being strong is one thing by itself. Coupled with quick feet it’s a huge asset. When she’s on the floor next to another big, the paint becomes a scary place for opposing teams.

Jana is almost as strong as Ayanna and is a good shooter at all levels and has really good handles. Plus at 6’5” with long arms she may turn out to be a serious rim protector. I think of her as sort of like Dorka in her skill set. But the good handles and the long arms also suggest a little bit of Stewie.

Geno built an awesome team for this season and it never really got to play together. We’ll get a lot of it back next fall and I can hardly wait to see what these kids can do.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wait, what? While we have high hopes for both if not just Jana, it is rare, very rare that a first or second year player provide the kind of help this team really needs. Would we have more depth in the front court, of course, but Ayanna was already limited offensively and Jana has yet to play even 1 minute of a college high level D1 game. Yes, Jana has dominated in the lower Tiers of the FIBA Tournaments and I am looking forward to her growth and skills on the UConn courts but she is not Aliyah Boston or Cameron Brink coming in as a freshman and able to make her mark. You have no basis to make the assertions you made about Jana regarding strength or shooting at all levels simply because she hasn't played elite competition. Dorka was a 2 time FIRST TEAM Big Ten player and it would be great if Jana develops into that level of skill but she does not have it currently, I will just absolutely ignore any Stewie comment as ludicrous I enjoy fandom as much as the next guy, but reality and logic do have to be applied.

I miss these players too, mostly because their evolution to truly help us has been delayed another year unitl 2025-26

Reaction Score
Wait, what? While we have high hopes for both if not just Jana, it is rare, very rare that a first or second year player provide the kind of help this team really needs. Would we have more depth in the front court, of course, but Ayanna was already limited offensively and Jana has yet to play even 1 minute of a college high level D1 game. Yes, Jana has dominated in the lower Tiers of the FIBA Tournaments and I am looking forward to her growth and skills on the UConn courts but she is not Aliyah Boston or Cameron Brink coming in as a freshman and able to make her mark. You have no basis to make the assertions you made about Jana regarding strength or shooting at all levels simply because she hasn't played elite competition. Dorka was a 2 time FIRST TEAM Big Ten player and it would be great if Jana develops into that level of skill but she does not have it currently, I will just absolutely ignore any Stewie comment as ludicrous I enjoy fandom as much as the next guy, but reality and logic do have to be applied.

I miss these players too, mostly because their evolution to truly help us has been delayed another year unitl 2025-26
I don't think Dorka was a post player at all. Jana had skills with her back to the basket and defended post players in the FIBA Tournament so in that sense she would have been a big help. Most of all Geno liked her so she would have at least gotten a chance to help out the team. To me the interesting thing if everyone comes back next year is what 7-8 will get to play.

Reaction Score
You have no basis to make the assertions you made about Jana regarding strength or shooting at all levels simply because she hasn't played elite competition. Dorka was a 2 time FIRST TEAM Big Ten player and it would be great if Jana develops into that level of skill but she does not have it currently,
I’m only talking about potential. Did I not make that clear? I think I did. My lament was exactly yours — they lost an opportunity to develop playing next to Aaliyah.

Reaction Score

The material point here is not how good they might have been, something no one knows (though it’s obviously true that first year bigs are not generally dominant players), but rather the difference they might have made in terms of actual production and the difference they would have made in front court depth and how that would have changed Geno’s subbing options throughout the season. Who knows the effect they might have had? Perhaps Aubrey‘s injury might never have happened, not to mention the possibility that some or all of our losses might have been wins! Your final sentence is particularly well said as we would have had the luxury of a second and third year player next season rather than two (for all intents) freshmen.

Reaction Score

Agree with you on Patterson, but I wouldn’t write off Jana so quickly, maybe she’s the next freshman Svetlana Abrosimova.

Reaction Score
I’m only talking about potential. Did I not make that clear? I think I did. My lament was exactly yours — they lost an opportunity to develop playing next to Aaliyah.
It's been like this for 3 straight years. If Paige and Azzi and Caroline played for significant time injury-free together it would have changed everything.

Cohesion/chemsitry has all been drastically reduced vs what it could have been. Not only past tense but futrue as well which it sems your point with the Bigs. It's the same with the guards. They would have made everything so much easier. For example, that 1st game this year vs NC State would never have happened if UCONN had a team with little-to-no injuries the prior year or two.

Azzi and Caroline woudl have been sooooooooooooooo much better.

Reaction Score
If the injury bug can give it a rest next season, the lineup would be some (not all) of the following:
  • Jana 6’5”
  • Aaliyah 6’3”
  • Ice 6’3”
  • Ayanna 6’2”
  • Sarah 6’2”
  • Amari 6’6”

• Caroline 6’2”
  • Morgan 6’2”
  • Aubrey 6’1”
  • Emely 6’1”
  • Q 6’1”
  • Paige 6’0”

• Azzi 5’11”
  • Nika 5’11
  • Allie 5’10
  • Ash 5’9”
  • KK 5’9”
  • Inês 5’9”
This is not a short team, even if we don’t get Sarah or Emely. And maybe they don’t all become great right away. But Geno saw something in these kids, and I trust his judgment more than my own.

Even if Jana Ayanna and Ice don’t develop into superstars right away, our frontcourt will still be deep strong and really dynamic. I’d compare them to ND or Texas or VaTech or NC St or Stanford or SC. And we’ll have the best and deepest backcourt in D1. The only frontcourt I’d think would be deeper is UCLA.

And our wing depth is going to be unbelievable. I say all this just because it’s too easy to get distracted by the injuries of the past few seasons and to lose sight of what’s in store at Storrs. The very near future could be bright indeed. Geno will have a young vibrant team built around a few incredible veterans.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the contributions from "BOTH" YANNA and JANA (great rhyme there!).
Also, from the return of Aubrey, Azzi, Caroline, and the rest of the TEAM from the BASKETBALL
CAPITAL OF THE WORLD! Did I not mention that someone else was returning......?? Finally, something
good coming from a COVID YEAR! (" 'SHE" WHO MUST BE NAMED... but doesn't need to be named!!"
GO HUSKIES.! THE CUP IS LOOKING MORE THAN HALF FULL (finally!!)

Reaction Score
Forge tabout Sarah. At least until she committs..........
… and Aaliyah and Nika and Emely. We don’t know yet what any of these 4 will decide for next year. But those 18 kids are the pool of talent who might be available as far as we currently know.

The closest thing to certainty that we have is that Paige Ash KK Ice Q Amari Inês Morgan and Allie will be on the team — and even this is not a perfect certainty.

Less than certainly, but still a good possibility (maybe even a probability) is that the core veterans of the team next January will be Paige Azzi and Aubrey. I’d add Caroline to this group because like Azzi and Aubrey we know she is keen on returning. Nika and Aaliyah might fill out this group in the fall. This core is what the team will likely be at its best.

And this veteran core will be supported by the rising sophomores Ash KK Ice and Q, and the incoming freshmen Morgan and Allie. And these will be supported by the ones we hope for great things from, Ayanna and Jana if their rehab goes well and they develop. At least some of this group of 6 will contribute good things. To varying degrees, I am very confident in them.

Could Sarah and Emely join the team? Yes, maybe. But there aren’t any other new prospects for the fall. Our NC hopes will rest on some selection from these 18 young women.

If I’m being guardedly optimistic, I’d say our hopes will ride on Paige Azzi Aubrey Ice KK and Ash. Less guardedly, I’d crow about what Caroline Ayanna Jana Morgan Allie and Q could bring to the team. Two groups of six who might be joined by Nika and Aaliyah on the veteran side, or Sarah and Emely on the freshmen side.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Very true, but on the other hand we have 2 freshmen and add Q who have been baptized by fire. No way are our new players left to linger on the bench, all are a year ahead of where they would have been if our wounded were healthy. All three have been thrown into the fire and have come out to be the players we envisioned when Geno got their signatures on the dotted line.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I can’t help thinking about the magnitude of the hole in Geno’s lineup created when Ayanna and Jana were lost for the season. The lineup he’d put together was a preseason favorite for the NC because of lots of players besides these two. But the loss of the bigs was especially devastating.

Ayanna’s virtue is her strength and quickness. She’s not a great shooter but she is as strong as anyone in D1. We saw this in the Iowa game last season when she controlled Czinano (also very strong) when she was on the floor. But being strong is one thing by itself. Coupled with quick feet it’s a huge asset. When she’s on the floor next to another big, the paint becomes a scary place for opposing teams.

Jana is almost as strong as Ayanna and is a good shooter at all levels and has really good handles. Plus at 6’5” with long arms she may turn out to be a serious rim protector. I think of her as sort of like Dorka in her skill set. But the good handles and the long arms also suggest a little bit of Stewie.

Geno built an awesome team for this season and it never really got to play together. We’ll get a lot of it back next fall and I can hardly wait to see what these kids can do.
Wow. Do we really have any idea what these two will really be able to contribute and at what level? Yanna showed herself to be very athletic, but really rough in all other aspects of her game. There was improvement over time but still very rough.

All we have seen of Jana is against competition well below top 20 D1 schools. The thing I looked forward to most about this season was to see if UConn had reliably filled the big-girl gap with Jana (and Ice). So far, no answer.

Hopeful that both Yanna and Jana will contribute at a high level, but there's scant real evidence to support comparing, even in potential, Dorka or (OMG) Stewie to Jana. Kind of unfair to her in a way. I want to get a look at who she is before I comment on who she is going to be.

I will wait, watch and like the rest of the 'yard hope for a big, pleasent surprise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is going to be interesting to see how everything plays out next season. I am hoping that Ayanna and Jana can play a huge role for the team.

Reaction Score
there's scant real evidence to support comparing, even in potential, Dorka or (OMG) Stewie to Jana.
Seriously? There’s plenty of evidence to support a comparison. Yes, of course it’s not against D1 level competition. Would it also be forbidden to compare any other high school kid to people with D1 experience? Like Lauren Betts two years ago, or Juju Watkins last year, or Sarah Strong this year? Or Olivia Vukosa? Did no one think about what sort of player Stewie might develop into in high school? Nobody’s saying Jana is better than them. But if you want to think about her skill set, it’s hard not to compare a 6’5” big with long arms, good handles and good range on her shot to Dorka and Stewie. Will Geno use her in similar ways? I wouldn’t be surprised.

Nev

Reaction Score
Wait till next year! Seems I heard that before.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Seriously? There’s plenty of evidence to support a comparison. Yes, of course it’s not against D1 level competition. Would it also be forbidden to compare any other high school kid to people with D1 experience? Like Lauren Betts two years ago, or Juju Watkins last year, or Sarah Strong this year? Or Olivia Vukosa? Did no one think about what sort of player Stewie might develop into in high school? Nobody’s saying Jana is better than them. But if you want to think about her skill set, it’s hard not to compare a 6’5” big with long arms, good handles and good range on her shot to Dorka and Stewie. Will Geno use her in similar ways? I wouldn’t be surprised.
Yes, seriously. Stewie was a prodigy coming up and has proved to be one of, if not THE, best player that ever played at every level. No evidence that Jana is on that track.

No comparison is forbidden, some are just more reality-based than others. I hope Jana is the 2nd coming, but I'm going to wait and see.

I remember that Amari was compared to Stewie also. Ice was going to dominate at all three levels... etc., etc.

Maybe she's like Paige Sauer, maybe even Stef Dolson... It's The Boneyard, she can be like Jayson Tatum if you like. We'll see when she actually plays D1 basketball.

Fingers crossed that she can contribute significant, impactful minutes. That at least seems possible. Any more that that would be an amazing windfall. And a new Stewie?... a miracle.

-30-

Reaction Score
Yes, seriously. Stewie was a prodigy coming up and has proved to be one of, if not THE, best player that ever played at every level. No evidence that Jana is on that track.

No comparison is forbidden, some are just more reality-based than others. I hope Jana is the 2nd coming, but I'm going to wait and see.

I remember that Amari was compared to Stewie also. Ice was going to dominate at all three levels... etc., etc.

Fingers crossed that she can contribute significant, impactful minutes. That at least seems possible. Any more that that would be an amazing windfall. And a new Stewie?... a miracle.
Fair enough. I just grow weary of how frequently people attempt to forbid any sort of reflection on what our players might be capable of. Was Stewie better than any other player we have ever seen? I think so. But I’m not insulting her achievements by noting that Jana has a similar array of skills. Why draw attention to this? Because it’s unusual in a big. I wouldn’t compare Jana to Boston or Dolson or Tina or Griner or Brink etc. She doesn’t resemble them at all.

No comparison is forbidden.”
These are important words to remember. You should feel free to compare Jana to Jayson Tatum if you like. I will be unmoved by it. But I won’t tell you you’re not allowed to draw the comparison.

You’re weary of people overhyping Ice and Amari. Sure. Me too. Whatever. I’m not hyping Jana at all. I never called her “a new Stewie.” I’m merely describing Jana. Same with Ayanna. I’m not hyping her either. I’m merely observing that she’s strong and has quick feet. Her offense is not well developed yet. But I can see her having an impact at the 4 next to a 5 who can score. We’ve had players like that before and even won NCs with them.

Reaction Score

I feel the same way you do about next year but we have to remember that Paige is a great physical exception when coming back from serious injuries. Still and all, only now are we seeing a Paige that is almost back to being the earlier Paige. I am in favor of lowered expectations for our "Sitting 5", since it will take them a lot of work to get back and then getting into game shape with timing by playing. I do agree that the extra size underneath alone is an important factor. Where they are all at and what they can do is the issue.

It makes you marvel at the Geno touch this year. #10 in the country with 4 freshmen out of your first 7 players and no bench really after that. One thing he is, is a realist. He knows the limitations. His job has not been easy these last 3 years but nevertheless here we are. I don't want to look past this year. There is a kind of unique admiration for this team that has emerged especially for the Seniors. Kind of like The Fife and Drum trio from the Revolution with Nika playing the tune.

Reaction Score
Just saw a live look of warmups and Jana was was doing warmups with the rest of the active players, no sign of Amari though, so I assume still protocol.
My question is, was Geno really referring to Jana earlier in the year about her being ready come tournament time?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom