Miss St beats LSU | The Boneyard

Miss St beats LSU

Reaction Score
Sam Purcell is a good young coach. Hated to see him leave Walz's staff but he earned a shot as a head coach. He's a good recruiter, very personable and the players here at Louisville really seemed to like him. Hope he has continued success in the SEC.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Feels like this is the game where Purcell pulled out of Vic's shadow. He brought in a great transfer class and some solid freshmen,and it all finally seems to be gelling.

The program was on the brink of falling back into oblivion, but the atmosphere tonight was like the best days under Vic.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Another amazing atmosphere tonight for women's basketball. Impressed that Mississippi State fans showed up on a Monday night with their team unranked. Players were amped up and boy did they deliver tonight.

Most impactful player of the game was Mjracle Sheppard off the bench. She was a menace defensively and harassed Poa/Hailey Van Lith all night. She finished with 12 points, 6 steals, 5 assists and 4 rebounds. Outstanding game for her. Also a really big showing from DePaul transfer Rogers off the bench, she made some timely 3s and nailed a huge one late to push the lead from 70-67 to 73-67. She definitely outplayed her fellow DePaul transfer (Morrow) tonight. Jordan was also massive, leading the way with 24 points.

Angel Reese did Angel Reese things, I thought she played well on both ends but didn't get nearly enough help from the rest of the team. She shut down Carter and put up 20/18 and had 5 steals. Missed her share of shots but can't ask for much more out of your star. Flaujae was also excellent when she took the ball to the basket. More offense needs to run through her. Morrow didn't have her best game, she missed a ton of shots she normally makes.

Hailey Van Lith, Poa and Williams all really struggled. Hailey Van Lith looked more dialed in defensively but got beat off the dribble a few times and just wasn't able to contribute much offensively. She didn't have as many bad TOs tonight but she doesn't do much to help the team get into rhythm. Again, she looks lost and uncomfortable at the PG spot like she did vs. SC. Poa was completely rattled by Sheppard all night. Williams stats were better than I expected but she didn't make a big impact and was turnover prone. Most significant, they had no answer for Mississippi State's guards. Jordan/Sheppard/Rogers combined 55 points on 21-36 shooting. LSU isn't going to win games if they can't guard opposing guards.

If they can't right the ship, I think they're at real risk of not hosting the first 2 rounds. One or 2 more bad losses and they're in a really tough spot.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith is what I expected her to be at LSU, tbh. Even when she was playing at L’Ville I wasn’t overly impressed with her. She has great potential but I feel like often the actual result is only so-so.

Honestly though when Mulkey got both Morrow and Hailey Van Lith I figured they’d be unstoppable if they could fit all the pieces together. I guess being the star at one school doesn’t necessarily translate when you go to a new team.

Reaction Score
LSU has been over-rated since the preseason!
They won the Championship last season because their best players stayed healthy and Utah missed 2 free throws late in the Great 8 game! Sometimes a team wins a title because everything breaks their way!
IMHO if UConn had remained injury free the last 3 years THEY would have won 3 Championships in a row!

Reaction Score
I'll repeat what I said after last Thursday's game - LSU's ceiling is 2nd best in the nation, but they are too inconsistent to play to that level enough to win a title.

I could see anything from Final Four to 2nd round loss. I don't think they can repeat even if they again get some breaks because you still have to beat at least two great teams on a neutral court to win a championship and they have only played to their potential in consecutive games once all year and both of those were at home (vs Arkansas, vs Carolina).

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The weakness has been exposed all season
I agree. She has skills but just doesn't look like she fits in there. Not sure why she doesn't but she would have been better off staying at L'Ville. Sometimes just adding all americans doesn't result in the chemistry needed to perform as a unit.

Reaction Score
I think clearly LSU is still a work in progress that may get better but never be a great fit. Hailey Van Lith is a good not great player who becomes more mediocre when trying to be a point guard. Morrow has obvious talent but is best down low in the same space as Angel. They get in each others way more than compliment each other, and Morrow has no business cranking up threes. I can't think of any player who puts up more of them with such a poor percentage.

I think Kim is also having trouble figuring out who the go to player is down the stretch. Do you let Hailey Van Lith try to create something? Maybe Williams going one on one? In this game they took Angel to the high post and were trying to post Morrow down low. In a prior game they gave the ball to Angel on the perimeter and had her drive to the basket, and frankly that was an ugly look. Williams might be the best bet IDK but the team seems to have an identity crisis down the stretch, and their two star transfers are sometimes in roles that are not ideal for their talents.

Reaction Score
Feels like this is the game where Purcell pulled out of Vic's shadow. He brought in a great transfer class and some solid freshmen,and it all finally seems to be gelling.

The program was on the brink of falling back into oblivion, but the atmosphere tonight was like the best days under Vic.
I agree. Looked like the MSST fan base really came out to support this team. Brought back memories of the Vic days, full house which contributed to the win. Just hope the fans conrinue to show up, it makes a lot of difference to how the players give the extra effort. SO PROUD OF MSST,

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes, another instance of "Does the whole equal or surpass the sum of its parts?"
And, so far, the answer to me is (at best) sometimes; at worst, nope.

• As @oldhusky noted, Morrow works best in the same area as Angel Reese and even if they clear out for each other, it cuts down a "whole team" approach.
  • Plus, there's a lot of other talent looking to also do their thing.
  • Hailey Van Lith is a newbie point guard, so it's hard for her to get all the disparate parts in smooth, working order.
And it's even harder because I'm sure there's a little voice that says. "oh just take the dang shot yourself."
Maybe she and her dad figured this was a good primer for the pro's (setting up good to better players), but it's a work in progress, for sure.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kim has put together some great teams and she’s certainly won her share of championships. But on more than a few occasions I have noted that down the stretch in close games, her teams have struggled to execute and she appears to lose her composure when her team most needs her to be calm and focused. Last night was such a game.

Reaction Score
It was a terrific game and atmosphere in Starkville, the best since Vic left for TX. Happy for the Bulldogs this morning!

Right now, the LSU team is lesser than the sum of their parts. Other posters have shared the same thoughts I've had about player fit and their roles. They of course have the talent to get things together and a FF isn't out of the realm of possibility but isn't the lock many thought when the season started. Despite the star power they too have experienced injuries and attrition that impacted their depth.

Kim is one of the best in the business but she seems to struggle with reaching this team. I watched most of the last two games and last night they literally had no energy and seemingly no will to win. Perhaps it's a hangover from the SC game but it wasn't a good showing for them.

Congrats to Purcell and MSU on a well earned win last night.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
They also had a double-digit lead on SC. When is the last time that happened?
We had a double digit lead against the Golden Domers but the end result was the same, so I guess that I don't understand your reply to my post.

Reaction Score
I agree. She has skills but just doesn't look like she fits in there. Not sure why she doesn't but she would have been better off staying at L'Ville. Sometimes just adding all americans doesn't result in the chemistry needed to perform as a unit.

She isn’t a point guard. Her decision making is a big part of the problem. Without a true point guard… that is a glaring hole in the team

Reaction Score
We had a double digit lead against the Golden Domers but the end result was the same, so I guess that I don't understand your reply to my post.

SC is currently far and away the best team in the country. Getting a double-digit lead on them is an accomplishment, as is leading heading into the 4th qtr, and tells me a lot of potential is there. It's a lot better, imo, than if they fell behind by 10 early and never got any closer.
(Whether the potential ultimately turns into something remains to be seen.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom