OT: - Miss my Dad on Memorial Day | The Boneyard

OT: Miss my Dad on Memorial Day

Reaction Score
Wanted to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day and thank anyone who has served in military for their contributions.

My Dad was in WWII and was a weatherman on a big boat- I forget its name. He died in 1990 almost thirty years ago- I'm 61 myself. Geez, it's amazing to think that the year I was born (1957) was only 12 years since WWII ended. How different the world is today especially technology wise- a nicer time, I think, it was back then, simpler.

My Dad told only a few stories about his service, but at the time I guess I didn't want to listen, and now I would love to ask him all sorts of things about it. Maybe he felt funny as I don't think he was ever in any combat, I don't remember him saying he was ever under fire. I'd love to know more about when he was growing up too, what it was like to be living during the depression, how he met my Mom (she is gone too). I'd would have liked to know more about their own parents and the generations going back too.

It's too late when you want to learn these things but the ones who could tell you have gone. Hope anyone who has parents still gives them a hug and a kiss. And back to the point, thank you Veterans for helping keep us safe!

Reaction Score
My grandfather never told me the things he saw in World War 2. He told me he wasn’t in combat and worked as a cook or something like that. Only after he died did I find out he was on the beach in Normandy and witnessed hell on earth. He didn’t want me to know what he’d seen or done during the war.

Family legend is that he refused awards for his efforts because he was honored to be able to fight. He loved a good parade, especially for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. His pride in this country is something I’ll never forget. He truly loved being an American.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My grandfather never told me the things he saw in World War 2. He told me he wasn’t in combat and worked as a cook or something like that. Only after he died did I find out he was on the beach in Normandy and witnessed hell on earth. He didn’t want me to know what he’d seen or done during the war.

Family legend is that he refused awards for his efforts because he was honored to be able to fight. He loved a good parade, especially for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. His pride in this country is something I’ll never forget. He truly loved being an American.

My grandfather served in the Army in WWII. Couldn't speak a lick of any language other than English and Italian. Up thorugh the 1970's and 1980's he'd have nightmares yelling out loud in German. We let that dog lie where it was. As a kid I'd be mixing drinks at the bar of one of my Great Uncle's house. I could barely see over the counter top, but I'd mix the drinks and gets some coins for tips. I liked that better than opening Christmas gifts or any of the food during holidays. They'd trade some stories between the Army, Navy and Army Air Corps. No Marines in my family. My dad and his generation mostly got lucky being able to serve between Korea and Vietnam. I don't think there's any Vietnam vets in my family.

Had a great uncle who served on a battleship, USS South Dakota in the Pacific. When he died my mom, his goddaughter gave me a few boxes of his stuff. Uniforms, awards, newspaper clippings, etc. Anything that was personal I kept; donated a bunch to the USS Alabama museum in Mobile, Alabama which was a sister ship of the South Dakota. There is no USS South Dakota ship. I was melted down.

Reaction Score

Hero. God bless.

Reaction Score
My grandfather served in the Army in WWII. Couldn't speak a lick of any language other than English and Italian. Up thorugh the 1970's and 1980's he'd have nightmares yelling out loud in German. We let that dog lie where it was. As a kid I'd be mixing drinks at the bar of one of my Great Uncle's house. I could barely see over the counter top, but I'd mix the drinks and gets some coins for tips. I liked that better than opening Christmas gifts or any of the food during holidays. They'd trade some stories between the Army, Navy and Army Air Corps. No Marines in my family. My dad and his generation mostly got lucky being able to serve between Korea and Vietnam. I don't think there's any Vietnam vets in my family.

Had a great uncle who served on a battleship, USS South Dakota in the Pacific. When he died my mom, his goddaughter gave me a few boxes of his stuff. Uniforms, awards, newspaper clippings, etc. Anything that was personal I kept; donated a bunch to the USS Alabama museum in Mobile, Alabama which was a sister ship of the South Dakota. There is no USS South Dakota ship. I was melted down.

It’s funny that you mixed drinks and got coins in return. Your experience sounds so much like mine I stopped to consider if we might be related for a second. Italian American families.

Reaction Score
Wanted to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day and thank anyone who has served in military for their contributions.

My Dad was in WWII and was a weatherman on a big boat- I forget its name. He died in 1990 almost thirty years ago- I'm 61 myself. Geez, it's amazing to think that the year I was born (1957) was only 12 years since WWII ended. How different the world is today especially technology wise- a nicer time, I think, it was back then, simpler.

My Dad told only a few stories about his service, but at the time I guess I didn't want to listen, and now I would love to ask him all sorts of things about it. Maybe he felt funny as I don't think he was ever in any combat, I don't remember him saying he was ever under fire. I'd love to know more about when he was growing up too, what it was like to be living during the depression, how he met my Mom (she is gone too). I'd would have liked to know more about their own parents and the generations going back too.

It's too late when you want to learn these things but the ones who could tell you have gone. Hope anyone who has parents still gives them a hug and a kiss. And back to the point, thank you Veterans for helping keep us safe!
The impact on the country with over 10,000,000 young men away in uniform is impossible for us to comprehend .

My dad ‘s was older and had served in the military in the early to mid thirties but with two children on Dec 7, 1941 and me coming shortly thereafter his attempts to re-enlist were followed by death threats from my mom. His younger brother and her three unmarried brothers served and all saw action in the Pacific.
One of my uncles never said a word about it but my brother told me he had 8 battle ribbons steering a plywood PT boat.
Connecticut was a booming industrial state and almost every last one was converted to some product that was related to the war effort. Thinking of an entire country pulling in the one cause is hard to imagine.
Consumer products were almost impossible to obtain. Black market and rationing were real . My dad was an air raid warden and houses were blacked out at night or you could be fined.
There was a real fear of getting bombed especially as the Nazi’s seemed unstoppable early.
My late brother who was 7 years older recalled his fear of invasion andbeing comforted by an Italian immigrant neighbor about the vast Athlantic .
Ocean and how the German lack of a Navy made that impossible. These were real conversations the history books pass over. The craziest thing that in 1942 all men under 65 years of age had to register for a possible homeguard army if needed. The old man’s list.
The good news it’s a current source of personal information about men born as early as in the 1870’s especially the immigrants of the great migration. The draft. at its height reached single men up to age 40.
I was recently thinking of the WWII Vets I knew many who saw action who suffered from undiagnosed PTSD and were never treated but drank to excess as a form of self medication. The war had ramifications far beyond its end obviously politically but personally as well.
I’m as you guessed student of history ( like our new coach my expertise is Middle age Europe)but I’m also a Genealogist . I have interviewed many vets . One of my favorites is a 97 year old in a nursing home who served in the famous 101 st .Airborne He was wounded at the battle of the Bulge and had field surgery that required 140 stitches to close. What he was most proud of was the surgery was done without anesthetics. That’s why they call it the great generation.
The knowledge that your ancestors and other real people were apart of that history make it come alive.
Sorry to ramble
Have a safe and reflective Memorial Day.

Last edited:

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Very sorry for your loss and I definitely agree with your message.

Reaction Score

My father didn't talk much either about his WWII experience except to say at the dinner table once in a while that I and my brothers needed to eat what was on our plates because 'you don't know what it's like to go without food'. He was a POW for 2+ months towards the end of the war in Europe.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Both my grandfathers served one was wounded at battle of the bulge, ( promising minor league baseball player when he left, couldn't walk without a major limp the rest of his life because of the shrapnel in his hip and leg) the other was in Okinawa. But they would never ever discuss it. Ever. I would've loved to learn more about their experiences but I had to respect their need to leave the memories (of what I can only imagine being a living hell on Earth) behind them.
Greatest generation indeed.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s funny that you mixed drinks and got coins in return. Your experience sounds so much like mine I stopped to consider if we might be related for a second. Italian American families.

I think I can safely say no relation. But good times serving drinks and listening to stories.

My Uncle who served in the Navy during WWII is the reason I'm a Sox fan and the reason I joined the Navy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My grandfather is luckily still alive today and is a WWII vet. Coincidentally enough, we were cleaning up some things at the house this weekend and I found his 2nd purple heart, which was presumed to have been missing throughout the years. He was shot twice in Europe (believe France) but luckily was able to survive and is in relatively good health today at 92.

There are a lot of other medals but I'm overall I'm just incredibly proud of him and everyone else that risked it all in face of unspeakable terror. When I watch documentaries about WWII and other conflict, I just can't imagine being on the front line like these brave men and women .

Reaction Score
My dad fought with the 30th Infantry division. He arrived on Utah Beach as a replacement near the end of June '44. He spent July in the hedgerows. First week of August he found himself too close to an artillery shell. That was the end of his war. Doctors told my mother that he wouldn't live past 60. Mom didn't listen. He made it 88.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From Hunstanton Beach today in UK. WWI Memorial honoring UK and US service members who died from 1914-1918.

Red flower wreaths are poppy flowers which were known to be one of the first flowers to repopulate after battleground regrow.

IMG_20180528_231245.jpg

Reaction Score

Hey, are you safe and dry down there?

Reaction Score
I think I can safely say no relation. But good times serving drinks and listening to stories.

My Uncle who served in the Navy during WWII is the reason I'm a Sox fan and the reason I joined the Navy.
My father was a Brooklyn Dodger fan that served in the Merchant Marines, during and after WWII. He was the one on the unarmed ship on many North Atlantic runs through the U-boats. He was why I joined the Navy too.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My Dad was a WWII vet who was a guarding Japanese prisoners during the last 6 months of the war
Never talked much about the war except one story when a train of prisoners were being off boarded, there was a few women prisoners - one was pregnant and a young GI went up and ran a bayonet through her. My father went up to the GI and stuck his pistol in the kids mouth and said he was going to blow his head off. They took the GI to the Commander and never heard from him again - turns out the kid came from money and was to become the president of Hallmark Cards
Many of his friends did talk about the war - one fought on Iwo, one was wounded in the chest during the Battle of the Bulge and the only thing that saved him was a fountain pen and a mini Bible (something his son cherishes to this day), one lost his whole platoon to a Nazi machine gun nest and the great man battled alcoholism his whole life due to flashbacks
I too miss my father so much - he was a proud UConn grad and we went to all UConn games together since 1965 until he couldn't anymore on the early 2000s.
His was the greatest generation and to me he was the greatest of the great
Happy Memorial Day to all the vets and their families

Reaction Score
I'm a veteran of the U S Army. My dad was a 20 year vet of the U S Air Force who served in both the Korean and Vietnam wars. To be honest we did not have a good relationship most of our lives but the one thing I do respect him for was his service to this country. Those were the best years of his life.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My father was a Brooklyn Dodger fan that served in the Merchant Marines, during and after WWII. He was the one on the unarmed ship on many North Atlantic runs through the U-boats. He was why I joined the Navy too.

My Uncle whose house I bartended at for parties was a Med DQ for WWII. He served in CCC during Great Depression. He had great stories of service as well.

One of the big reasons I'm a big fan of large scale federal infrastructure.

Reaction Score
I have another story from my family.

My older brother served with the 5th Cavalry in Vietnam from mid '68 to mid '69. Mostly up north in the A Shau Valley. He was wounded about three weeks short of rotation at a place called Hamburger Hill - the second battle that no one knows about. God bless the medics and the doctors and the nurses because they saved his arm.

My brother enlisted five days short of his 18th birthday so he never got a draft card. When he got back he technically had to go present himself to the draft board. Which he did. Two and one half years after the fact. When the draft board representative saw his birthday he got angry and asked my brother where he had been for the last two years. And my brother said ... "I've been busy." The draft board guy wasn't amused but I think it was freaking hilarious.

Reaction Score
I have another story from my family.

My older brother served with the 5th Cavalry in Vietnam from mid '68 to mid '69. Mostly up north in the A Shau Valley. He was wounded about three weeks short of rotation at a place called Hamburger Hill - the second battle that no one knows about. God bless the medics and the doctors and the nurses because they saved his arm.

My brother enlisted five days short of his 18th birthday so he never got a draft card. When he got back he technically had to go present himself to the draft board. Which he did. Two and one half years after the fact. When the draft board representative saw his birthday he got angry and asked my brother where he had been for the last two years. And my brother said ... "I've been busy." The draft board guy wasn't amused but I think it was freaking hilarious.
Show him the DD214

Reaction Score

I hear you! My dad passed away during my junior year of college. I was so wrapped up in my own life that I never fully grieved the loss. I didn't realize at the time how big of a loss that was. I also didn't realize what my poor mother was going through. I was the youngest and she was probably missing everyone so much. Thank God one of my sisters was close by. She passed away right after my oldest was born. It has been a long 20 years without my parents. Now my oldest just left for his second internship in CA. It tears my heart out when he leaves. I don't handle loss well at all. Now I understand what my mother was going through. It really is amazing how differently we view life at different stages. I had no idea how attached I had become to my kids and now I feel my mother's pain. Those who still have their parents are indeed lucky and should make the most of the time they have left.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom