Middlesex Chamber Hurley Breakfast - Oct 7th | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Middlesex Chamber Hurley Breakfast - Oct 7th

Reaction Score

Let's not sleep on Springs!
He could be the missing link to a new run of championships. Remember Charles Okwandu, Souleyman Wane, Phil Nolan AND the inimitable Tyler Olander, he of two rings.......one more than JB.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical Springs will stay in that top 9 conversation, but working through the roster and the comments on guys that would be bad news for Samson.

Reaction Score
This is interesting. This is my third preseason on the Boneyard, and for the first two seasons, the prevailing preseason feeling on the 'Yard was one of what, in retrospect, turned out to be irrational optimism. In other words, the season played out less successfully than the preseason consensus prediction. This year's preseason consensus is shaping up to be, in a word, doom.

Now the question is, will the trend of the team underperforming the Boneyard's expectations continue? If so, boy will that stink. Or will the trend of the Boneyard being wrong continue, with the team overperforming this time?

Get Ready Popcorn GIF by The Bachelor
The Boneyard doesn't want questions, it wants answers.

Lots of them. From both sides of the equation, sometimes in the same sentence, but surely at least in the same paragraph.

Now you know Boneyardin'.......

Reaction Score
Or there is a pretty large sample size of one of them being a pretty poor offensive player at the college level. I liked taking him as a transfer and thought he would be good in a small role off the bench, but if he is really in contention with Newton for a starting spot I don't see how that can be a good thing.
Facey bloomed later in his career. We can only hope Diarra is doing the same, maybe because of the coaching or the system.

Reaction Score
"There's a PG competition at Xavier for the starting slot between UTEP transfer Souley Boum and four-star freshman Desmond Claude. Sean Miller said the way they're pushing each other is something he's loved about the preseason. They could also play alongside one another at times."

I fear we have the next Ryan Gomes in Desmond Claude.
Does anyone have insights into why we didn't pursue him? Local kid that really developed and now we're trying to figure out which transfer might be able to play the position he could have owned for three or four years.

Reaction Score
"There's a PG competition at Xavier for the starting slot between UTEP transfer Souley Boum and four-star freshman Desmond Claude. Sean Miller said the way they're pushing each other is something he's loved about the preseason. They could also play alongside one another at times."

Does anyone have insights into why we didn't pursue him? Local kid that really developed and now we're trying to figure out which transfer might be able to play the position he could have owned for three or four years.

Sometimes local kids don't want to stay home. And honestly, it's often a very good thing for their career to get away from those local distractions.

Reaction Score

Not sure about the exact timing but with Castle coming in for 2023 and expecting/needing to play right away I'm not sure it was ever the best fit for both sides. Makes more sense to bring Newton in for a year and then hand the reigns over to Castle

Reaction Score
We don’t actually have a pure point guard on the team; if Newton is not capable, we’re in a boatload of trouble because Diarra and Jackson cannot run a team. Jackson, like Caron, is a terrific passer in transition, but running point for extended periods of time..oof.

And Adams shooting threes….please stop. I would discard it as just coach speak, but Hurley had a similar horror of an idea last year with Whaley and we spent the season watching our toughest interior player float around 25’ from the basket.

A lot of pre-season coach speak to me. I’ll wait and see what happens. I agree on Adama and Ajax.

Reaction Score
Try to think back to 2011 and 2014. We had 2 PG's then. Worked out alright.
Aside from the cheap laughs - this is very dumb.

Did you have any question at all who our PG/Floor general was in 2011? Did you think Napier and Kemba were "locked in a battle" at the position?

How about 2014? Did you think we weren't sure if Shabazz or Boat would be starting as the floor general?

Its sometimes as if people on this board are intentionally dumb for attention.

Reaction Score
Same with '99.

Even with '04 although BG wasn't a PG, he often handled the ball at end of game because Brown was such a bad FT shooter and Ben was lights out. Averaged 4.7 assists as a soph and 4.5 as a junior.

This whole idea that "2pgs" is the formula misses a key point - are they good or not, and area they establisehd/reliable. 2014 we had no questions. Shabazz' team Boat a solid vet. 2011 we had no questions. Kembas team, literally no one knew Bazz. '99 we had no questions about who the man was at PG - it was Khalid. You think there was a preseason "battle" ? Same with '04. We knew damn well the roles Taliek and Ben were going to play, there was no uncertainty.

The point here is that it is unclear we have any point guards, any established quality or leadership, any play initiators, playmakers on this team, and that uncertainty 30 days before the seasons starts points more to negatives than positives

Reaction Score
Aside from the cheap laughs - this is very dumb.

Did you have any question at all who our PG/Floor general was in 2011? Did you think Napier and Kemba were "locked in a battle" at the position?

How about 2014? Did you think we weren't sure if Shabazz or Boat would be starting as the floor general?

Its sometimes as if people on this board are intentionally dumb for attention.
Alright calm down bud.

In 2011 we didn’t know if Kemba could lead a team to be fair. He hadn’t shown much up to that point to be anything other than a spark plug.

Just want people to stop the “sky is falling” because Hurley hasn’t been raving about Newton.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I know every year almost every team's coaches always talk about "we'll have great depth" during pre-season. Then it almost always ends up being a 6-7 player rotation.

However, this is one team/season that I really really think the odds are very high that we'll legitimately see a 8-10 player rotation (each getting significant double-digit-ish minutes) vs. our weak competition, and 7-9 player rotations vs. our tougher comp.

Let's get this season started!!!
I agree. I don't think it is wise or possible to play a 6-7 team rotation because the strength is in the depth. Hoping DH figures this out and deal with the complexities that brings. This would undoubtedly require more in game thinking rather than emotional psyche-up motivation. To manage anything requires having different strategies and flexibility to make changes on the fly. It is what it is; not what you predetermine it to be.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
IMO Hurley’s quote about PG is an attempt to motivate Newton through the media. My guess is Newton is still the starter the majority of the season. Although this makes me feel like we see Hassan start at PG in all 4 games before the PK and Newton takes over from there. Either way, I’m not concerned.
What happened to AJ as "point guard"??? I am confused by DH statements.

Reaction Score
Alright calm down bud.

In 2011 we didn’t know if Kemba could lead a team to be fair. He hadn’t shown much up to that point to be anything other than a spark plug.

Just want people to stop the “sky is falling” because Hurley hasn’t been raving about Newton.
While nobody expected Kemba to be the best player in the country and lead us to a title, I strongly disagree with the idea that he hadn’t shown much up to that point. He averaged 14.6 points, 5.1 assists, 4.3 rebounds, and 2.1 steals per game as a sophomore. He was third team all-Big East that year, and was preseason first team all-Big East as a junior. I think everyone expected him to be a star; the transformation to an all-time NCAA great was just a bit out of nowhere.

Reaction Score
I attended the breakfast, got there early, had a very close table, it was a very nice morning, a good experience for sure.

I was going to report in but honestly all the information is already out here thru tweets and news articles. Very well covered.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
While nobody expected Kemba to be the best player in the country and lead us to a title, I strongly disagree with the idea that he hadn’t shown much up to that point. He averaged 14.6 points, 5.1 assists, 4.3 rebounds, and 2.1 steals per game as a sophomore. He was third team all-Big East that year, and was preseason first team all-Big East as a junior. I think everyone expected him to be a star; the transformation to an all-time NCAA great was just a bit out of nowhere.
Kemba had flaws that he eliminated his all world year. He played too fast even though he was the quickest player on the court, he was out of control. He also had a terrible habit of overpenetrating. He would drive all the way to the basket and get his shot blocked.

Once he learned how to use his speed and quickness he was unstoppable.

Is it possible for Dre to make the same jump? He used to play out of control and make impossible passes. He has improved that part of his game. Unlike Kemba he needs to get to the rim, he can't overpenetrate. It's almost the opposite. He needs to learn to be more aggressive at appropriate times. AND FINISH. That would be good sign for our Huskies.

Reaction Score
Kemba had flaws that he eliminated his all world year. He played too fast even though he was the quickest player on the court, he was out of control. He also had a terrible habit of overpenetrating. He would drive all the way to the basket and get his shot blocked.

Once he learned how to use his speed and quickness he was unstoppable.

Is it possible for Dre to make the same jump? He used to play out of control and make impossible passes. He has improved that part of his game. Unlike Kemba he needs to get to the rim, he can't overpenetrate. It's almost the opposite. He needs to learn to be more aggressive at appropriate times. AND FINISH. That would be good sign for our Huskies.

Correct. Andre couldn’t finish. Big issue to resolve. He just didn’t seem to have any idea how to put the ball in the hoop the last two years. He must have dunked everything in high school.

Kemba just needed to play smarter. Apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
EDIT

I attended the breakfast, got there early, had a very close table, it was a very nice morning, a good experience for sure.

I was going to report in but honestly all the information is already out here thru tweets and news articles. Very well covered.

Well :) , three or four impressions that I got from listening and really these are more from Hurley than from me, but there is some crossover.

We are better at center than most teams in the country with Adama and Donavon. Adama will most likely shoot some open threes, sorta like Whaley last year. Donavon is going to play somewhat more than just straight up backup center's minutes. Tallest player on the court sure, but he's a very good basketball player.

Sanogo's the man.

Alex Karaban is tough too, on defense also, excellent shooter, very court savvy, and is a huge part of this rotation in this, his first year.

Samson Johnson with all that upside. Very, very good, but still putting it all together.

Naheim Alleyne, legit path to a starting role, much more than a shooter, very cagey and skilled, makes plays for others, huge part of the rotation.

All this talk about the point lately and justifiably so. Hassan Diarra is competing with Tristan Newton for the starting spot (could be coachspeak fostering competition), maybe Diarra is somewhat more moldable at the point than Tristan, not sure about this, but Tristan's higher strength is scoring the ball.

Which brings us to Andre Jackson. Andre is the man this year, with the ball, without the ball. That Kemba, Khalid, Shabazz, emotional leader this year is Andre.

On the court last year, especially as the year progressed, he was lights out in transition as far as bringing the ball up very aggressively, and then decision-making whether to score in the first 8 seconds or to move into a half-court offense. There are multiple ball handlers here, but I would expect Andre to be the main facilitator of this offense, setting up at the top of the arc, offensively rotating, mixing it up, maybe not the guy with the ball in his hands with 3 seconds on the clock, but the guy with the ball with 6 to eight seconds left. He did not, to my recollection, turn the ball over much at all the second half of the season especially if you factor in ball usage or whatever you might call it.

Joey Calcaterra, a much better player than they thought. If he shoots at a high percentage and plays well, he'll be part of the rotation, I won't speculate further.

Richie Springs could see some court time, Roumaglou, the Greek player might see the floor as the season progresses, Hasson, the Israeli, needs more strength to be effective I guess.

Hurley sees Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo in the draft next year. How that translates into what sort of season Jordan Hawkins has I won't speculate, but he added like 15 pounds of muscle or something, is a much stronger player, and like Ray, his shooting is a thing of beauty. He's got the keys to score.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
EDIT

Well :) , three or four impressions that I got from listening and really these are more from Hurley than from me, but there is some crossover.

We are better at center than most teams in the country with Adama and Donavon. Adama will most likely shoot some open threes, sorta like Whaley last year. Donavon is going to play somewhat more than just straight up backup center's minutes. Tallest player on the court sure, but he's a very good basketball player.

Sanogo's the man.

Alex Karaban is tough too, on defense also, excellent shooter, very court savvy, and is a huge part of this rotation in this, his first year.

Samson Johnson with all that upside. Very, very good, but still putting it all together.

Naheim Alleyne, legit path to a starting role, much more than a shooter, very cagey and skilled, makes plays for others, huge part of the rotation.

All this talk about the point lately and justifiably so. Hassan Diarra is competing with Tristan Newton for the starting spot (could be coachspeak fostering competition), maybe Diarra is somewhat more moldable at the point than Tristan, not sure about this, but Tristan's higher strength is scoring the ball.

Which brings us to Andre Jackson. Andre is the man this year, with the ball, without the ball. That Kemba, Khalid, Shabazz, emotional leader this year is Andre.

On the court last year, especially as the year progressed, he was lights out in transition as far as bringing the ball up very aggressively, and then decision-making whether to score in the first 8 seconds or to move into a half-court offense. There are multiple ball handlers here, but I would expect Andre to be the main facilitator of this offense, setting up at the top of the arc, offensively rotating, mixing it up, maybe not the guy with the ball in his hands with 3 seconds on the clock, but the guy with the ball with 6 to eight seconds left. He did not, to my recollection, turn the ball over much at all the second half of the season especially if you factor in ball usage or whatever you might call it.

Joey Calcaterra, a much better player than they thought. If he shoots at a high percentage and plays well, he'll be part of the rotation, I won't speculate further.

Richie Springs could see some court time, Roumaglou, the Greek player might see the floor as the season progresses, Hasson, the Israeli, needs more strength to be effective I guess.

Hurley sees Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo in the draft next year. How that translates into what sort of season Jordan Hawkins has I won't speculate, but he added like 15 pounds of muscle or something, is a much stronger player, and like Ray, his shooting is a thing of beauty. He's got the keys to score.

Go Huskies!

Time will soon tell, but it really seems like we struck gold in the portal in the spring/summer.

Alleyne / Newton - had appropriate buzz/fanfare. Lots of well-deserved excitement.

Joey CA / Diarra - seemed like a general "ho-hum, deep bench/good practice body" reaction from most here on the 'yard and about the same reactions from pundits/so-called CBB experts. Turns out they may be much, much more than that for our teams' success this year and by themselves will be more than equal replacements for a couple of our transfers.

Once again, it seems like our coaches and staff know what they are doing. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Correct. Andre couldn’t finish. Big issue to resolve. He just didn’t seem to have any idea how to put the ball in the hoop the last two years. He must have dunked everything in high school.

Kemba just needed to play smarter. Apples and oranges.
Yes, I am comparing apples and oranges. They are different but they can be compared.

Reaction Score
IMO.. With our Big 3--4 new portal guards-- AK/DC-- I believe our overall team BBIQ will be superior to last year's team and as a result--esp. when playing 4 out with AS-- Our spacing will open up lanes and produce open shots for our shooters. If we can work on keeping the paint unclogged for AS/DC to do their thing-- I believe AJax can also exploit those open lanes taking it to the hole.. Too much congestion last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom