Mexico Adventure Continues | The Boneyard

Mexico Adventure Continues

Reaction Score
Ive been in Mexico for almost a month. Im loving it. Hard to believe i was stressed about it back in July. Flying around MX domestically is pretty awesome. Its inexpensive and there are lots of flights. Ive taken 2 weekend trips to CDMX and Santiago de Queretaro. Both are awesome. It really feels like Europe in some places. Im pretty sure i will retire here. I definitely dont want to live in North Dakota when im in my 60s.

Reaction Score
Glad you are enjoying it. If I'm not mistaken you're living in Monterrey? Try to get up to Santiago and next time you go to cdmx go to puebla. Btw there is a really nice Brazilian BBQ place in Monterrey, I'll try to recall the name.

Reaction Score
Go see the monarch butterflies if you can- went to a sanctuary couple hours from Mexico City. Went up pine forest on horseback to their winter habitat. So many butterflies that settle on tree branches that their weight can break some branches! Seeing thousands and thousands hovering in air above flower meadow, so many that their wings made a humming sound- wow!

Reaction Score
Mexico is a land of extremes. Great wealth, great beauty and great poverty. If you get caught in the wrong place, it is trouble. I lost a friend there. Be smart.

Reaction Score
Mexico is a land of extremes. Great wealth, great beauty and great poverty. If you get caught in the wrong place, it is trouble. I lost a friend there. Be smart.
Pretty much don't go looking for trouble and it won't find you. There could be bad luck but generally just being smart greatly limits your chances of anything bad happening. I lived in Latin America for like 6 years: Colombia, Guatemala and Mexico and just a pick pocket incident. Someone got my (crappy) smart phone in a club and that's the worst.

Reaction Score
Pretty much don't go looking for trouble and it won't find you. There could be bad luck but generally just being smart greatly limits your chances of anything bad happening. I lived in Latin America for like 6 years: Colombia, Guatemala and Mexico and just a pick pocket incident. Someone got my (crappy) smart phone in a club and that's the worst.

My father-in-law is a Cancun 3x a year type. A quesadilla (pronounced kay-sa-dill-ee-uh) is foreign food.

They invited (and paid) us to a weeklong trip with them at an all-inclusive In Cancun a few years ago. My wife and I went two weeks early to see a few sights around the country in a rental car and a short backpacking trip. You would've thought we were visiting a warzone. He absolutely lost it.

Ironically, he didn't bat an eye when we went on a trip around Zambia and Zimbabwe for 3 weeks, after visiting South Africa, the murder capitol of the world!

There's obviously riskier places anywhere you go. But I've spent time all over and have found a little common sense, some confidence, and a good attitude goes a long way.

Reaction Score
Not true. You can find yourself in trouble on your way to or from somewhere, especially in unfamiliar places. Glad you have never had any. Just keep you radar on.

Reaction Score
Monterrey. Its cool, but i think my favorite part is how easily i can get to other places in the country. Mty is a major city with tons of cheap flights to pretty much anywhere in MX.
I remember your post about the anxiety attacks you were getting. I am glad you are enjoying your time in Mexico, that's fantastic.

Do you know Spanish well?

Reaction Score
I remember your post about the anxiety attacks you were getting. I am glad you are enjoying your time in Mexico, that's fantastic.

Do you know Spanish well?
Im an exceptional tourist. I can handle functional conversations. But i cant have significant conversation yet. My vocabulary is poor and my ability to hear espanol (for lack of a better phrase) is poor. Its coming along fine but i still think it will be 6 months bwfore i can participate is an in depth conversation

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Monterrey. Its cool, but i think my favorite part is how easily i can get to other places in the country. Mty is a major city with tons of cheap flights to pretty much anywhere in MX.
Glad you like Monterrey, my daughter will be there working with the State Department. She needs to first learn Spanish.

Reaction Score
Glad you like Monterrey, my daughter will be there working with the State Department. She needs to first learn Spanish.
Im sure she will enjoy how easy it is to fly almost anywhere in the country. Price, number of flights, distance, etc....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom