Metro North N Haven - Penn Station tomorrow | The Boneyard

Metro North N Haven - Penn Station tomorrow

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I think it’s about 2 hour ride. Any idea on round trip cost or how often they leave? Is that the best approach from Berlin, CT. Thanks!

Reaction Score
Metro North does not currently operate trains to Penn Station in NY, nor do they operate trains to Berlin in CT. You have a number of options.

You can take Amtrak to Penn Station from Berlin. If you book in advance it's going to be rather cheap, probably $15-25 each way. Can get much more expensive if you're booking closer in to your trip. There's a couple "one seat ride" Northeast Regional trains a day, where you'd get on in Berlin and get off at Penn, with no connection.

There are a bunch of options if you are okay with connecting in New Haven. You can take Amtrak or CTrail's Hartford Line (same cost, same route, just different operators) from Berlin to New Haven. From there you can take Metro North to Grand Central Terminal or Amtrak to Penn Station, both are rather frequent.

Depending what time you need to be in the city tomorrow, I'd probably take a 9:22am Amtrak train for $32 from Berlin direct to Penn Station.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about going to the game. Your options that will get you there in time for tip off:

• Amtrak from Berlin at 6:44am to Penn Station, seeing $73 right now.
  • You could take that same train from Berlin to New Haven and connect to Metro North for probably around half the cost, but that will take longer and you'd have to walk from Grand Central Terminal to MSG (about a mile)
  • Drive to a Metro North station (plenty of them have free weekend parking, I usually go to Fairfield) and take one of numerous of Metro North trains to Grand Central.

Check the MNR Schedule. Page 7 has NYC Saturday inbounds. Any of the trains that get you there before ~11:15 should be fine

Reaction Score
round trip cost is going to be about $100 if you get a cheap ride back, but could be in the 120 range. A Metro North ride round trip to Grand Central is like $40. I'd do that and catch and uber or taxi if you're trying to avoid the walk.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm on the 4:34pm Metro North train today from Southeast (NY) to Grand Central and it cost me $30 + tax. Trip was off-peak so saved a little there. Return trip tomorrow is considered off-peak as well.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I always take Metro North out of New Haven or Stratford. The walk from Grand Central to MSG is not that bad. Been doing it for over 20 years, it has never let me down. A train runs roughly every 20 mins or so, and depending if you get on the express or local you are looking anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2 hours from New Haven.

Reaction Score
I always take Metro North out of New Haven or Stratford. The walk from Grand Central to MSG is not that bad. Been doing it for over 20 years, it has never let me down. A train runs roughly every 20 mins or so, and depending if you get on the express or local you are looking anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2 hours from New Haven.
Yep, and if you don’t mind switching trains in New Haven, you can take the Hartford Line from Berlin to New Haven for $3. Check the Hartford Line site for the full schedule but here are tomorrow mornings options. Total cost to the city from Berlin is $30.
IMG_0345.png

Reaction Score
there is a free shuttle from GCT to times square. shaves about 15 min off the walk. when you get off your train just look for the shuttle signs (when i say shuttle, its actually a dedicated subway line, not a bus)

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
This will work!

Reaction Score
As has been said, I'd drive to New Haven or one of the other towns further down the MNR line, park, and take the train to GCT. It's not a far walk and should be far cheaper than doing Amtrak from Berlin. Amtrak jacks prices up as you get closer to date of travel. If you book in advance, it's usually super cheap and as an educator, there are discount codes (that they never check so available to all, really.) My daughter and I are going to Boston for a getaway weekend in a few weeks and it was a no-brainer to train instead of drive because I got the tix last month.

Reaction Score
I think it’s about 2 hour ride. Any idea on round trip cost or how often they leave? Is that the best approach from Berlin, CT. Thanks!
We always take Metro North from West Haven to Grand Central. Free parking on the weekends and a nice weather day in NYC to walk over to MSG. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I would recommend taking Metro North out of New Haven. It is a little more expensive than other stations but that is where the train originates. You will have an easy time getting a good seat. The train can fill up rather quickly. Off-peak fare out of New Haven is around $37 round trip.

I would also check the schedules for each train. The express trains only have 4-5 stops and can be 20-30 minutes faster than the regular trains.

Reaction Score
Download the metro north app and you can see schudules and buy tickets using your phone, when you select your destinations it gives you the train times. I made the trip for work this week. Depending on the train it is about 2 hours from New Haven. Peak is about $24 one way, nonpeak is about $19 one way.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
there is a free shuttle from GCT to times square. shaves about 15 min off the walk. when you get off your train just look for the shuttle signs (when i say shuttle, its actually a dedicated subway line, not a bus)
Shuttle is not free - it's a subway fare.

Reaction Score
Once at TS, you can transfer to the downtown 1-2-3 for one station to Penn St / MSG.

Reaction Score
Feeling lucky? If you drive to Stamford you may be able to ride into NYC for free (assuming you can actually get on the train).

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I live in Norwalk (terrible parking garage, always charges) but am a big fan of the Norton Heights station, easy access (Exit 10, I-95), free (safe) weekend parking. One stop to/past Stamford, so its as close as you can get to an express without the hassle of parking in Stamford. And Leary's Liquor Locker is right across the street (NYC bound) for your brown-bag needs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom